2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brasil got the luck today, but the predictable outrage over the ref's decisions is tiresome tbh. Penalty? Harsh possibly, but the Croatian defender put his hand on Fred's shoulder from behind and even if the striker made a meal of it, technically that's an infringement. Same goes for the disallowed goal, he hit the keeper before the ball so you can't really argue it was wrong. All of these decisions could have gone either way, including the Neymar sending off claim, but they were hardly clear cut stonewallers.

Thank f*** you're just an idiot on N-O than a refereee then.

I'd rather be an idiot on N-O than agree with Andy Townsend tbh.

It's never a penalty though Tron. Brazil got extremely lucky with that call.

Corluka was the best defender in Russia last season... But he and Lovren can't play together, they dont understand each other.. For me Lovren is very overrated in Soton. Few days ago Sahtar bid 30m for Kovacic, he was s**** tonight. The biggest problem for Croatia is defensive midfielder. Badelj (Hsv) and Vukojevic (Dynamo Kyev) are limited players. Next game i expect Shildenfield, Lovren will be on the bench..

Kovacic disappeared. Corluka was slow and he would've had tons of problem had Neymar run more at him. Vrsaljko got killed all day. Srna was decent though. It's clear he got respect from Brazilian players as neither Neymar, Marcelo or Bernard were trying to challenge him.

I really enjoyed Olic. What an engine he was tonight. Never stopped running. Isn't he like 45 years old? His crosses will be deadly with Manduzkic there and Perisic attacking far post from behind the fullbacks like he did tonight against Marcelo. Brozovic didn't get much time, but is he a promising player?

On Kovacic i think the problem there is he's not a AM, should have played him deeper alongside Modric and pushed Rakitic on a bit.

I felt when Rakitic was able to drive forward it caused problems, the goal i believe started from a Rakitic run.

Croatia got mugged off by the officials massively tonight. The foul given on Cesar was utter bullshit and a totally legit challenge, and obviously the penalty was soft as fuck too.

On Kovacic i think the problem there is he's not a AM, should have played him deeper alongside Modric and pushed Rakitic on a bit.

I felt when Rakitic was able to drive forward it caused problems, the goal i believe started from a Rakitic run.

Haven't seen him play before (Kovacic), but yeah I felt Rakitic was playing to deep as well. :thup:

Brasil got the luck today, but the predictable outrage over the ref's decisions is tiresome tbh. Penalty? Harsh possibly, but the Croatian defender put his hand on Fred's shoulder from behind and even if the striker made a meal of it, technically that's an infringement. Same goes for the disallowed goal, he hit the keeper before the ball so you can't really argue it was wrong. All of these decisions could have gone either way, including the Neymar sending off claim, but they were hardly clear cut stonewallers.

Thank f*** you're just an idiot on N-O than a refereee then.

I'd rather be an idiot on N-O than agree with Andy Townsend tbh.

It's never a penalty though Tron. Brazil got extremely lucky with that call.

Yes Brazil got the luck which I mentioned in my first sentence. But you can't say it was never a penalty when the defender has put his hand deliberately on the forward's shoulder from behind. Why would he do that if it wasn't in some way to impede him?

some lyndsey something something is the nighttime presenter of the world cup show, i'm sure english types know who she is... but i cannot underemphasize the amazingness of having a geordie present on ESPN. And I refuse to accept Ray Hudson as a geordie.

Lynsey Hipgrave. She's been good whenever I've seen her on other shows like.

I understand the pen being given tbh, Fred timed his flip quite well.

The Olic "foul" was never a foul. He jumped and challenged with a fellow footballer, there was no elbow, as shown by the screenshot that Flip put up, trying to show an elbow, with no elbow in shot.

Timing was everything in that piece of theatre. Fred has method acting down to a tee. In real time I shouted 'penalty!' along with quite a few people in my local, but as soon as the first replay was shown the entire pub was up in arms. Ref didn't have the benefit of the replay, and it was a horrendous decision brought about by the ref favouring the home side, but I don't buy the whole bribery scenario. If Brazil need to fucking bribe someone to win their opening fixture at home after spending 11bn of public money to host it, the world really has bigger problems.

Joining here a little late but why does Lovren have his hand on Fred, and in general why do defenders constantly put their hands all over players. It's not Rugby. Fred definitely lept to the ground like a dying swan but if Lovren hadn't touched him it would have been a yellow card for diving and no penalty.

Croatia mos def robbed. Though Rakitic played really well he was sacrificed into playing as a DM and was always calm on the ball. When they play Mexico and Cameroon, he'll get his preferred advanced role. Modric was also a good outlet. Was really impressed with Croatia. They held their own and were severly let down by their goalkeeper who was so poor.

As for Brazil. It wasn't the best game but it didn't need to be. They got three points and Neymar will be unstoppable now. Any doubt about him has been erased. May be knee jerk but think he'll be top scorer.

Croatia mos def robbed. Though Rakitic played really well he was sacrificed into playing as a DM and was always calm on the ball. When they play Mexico and Cameroon, he'll get his preferred advanced role. Modric was also a good outlet. Was really impressed with Croatia. They held their own and were severly let down by their goalkeeper who was so poor.

As for Brazil. It wasn't the best game but it didn't need to be. They got three points and Neymar will be unstoppable now. Any doubt about him has been erased. May be knee jerk but think he'll be top scorer.

Oscar getting far less love than Neymar in the media. Neymar even got the official MOTM. Oscar produced one of the best 70minutes I've seen from a national team player in a very long time. he started dead, was calling for him to be subbed off, but then something happened. Scolari looked like telling him to wake up and he apparently started running and playing like a man possessed.

Oscar getting far less love than Neymar in the media. Neymar even got the official MOTM. Oscar produced one of the best 70minutes I've seen from a national team player in a very long time. he started dead, was calling for him to be subbed off, but then something happened. Scolari looked like telling him to wake up and he apparently started running and playing like a man possessed.

Oscar was absolutely fantastic. I don't think I've ever seen him play a bad international game.

Still, Japanese refs :yao:

I really liked how Oscar combined moments of getting absolutely stuck in, then flair on the ball. The goal would surely make him a guarantee as man of the match... Predictable that the FIFA narrative would obviously say otherwise.

What does Hulk do, Flip?

Until today I can't really figure it out :lol: He covers Dani well, but he played most part on the left and looked lost. I understand playing Neymar centrally but you can't put Hulk on the left as his it hurts the only thing he's good at, cutting inside and unleashing a shot (that 95% of the times goes outside the stadium)

I really liked how Oscar combined moments of getting absolutely stuck in, then flair on the ball. The goal would surely make him a guarantee as man of the match... Predictable that the FIFA narrative would obviously say otherwise.

He played with heart and hustle. Something that he's lacked over the last 18 months for the national team. Back to his early season Chelsea form.

Plus he got clattered a few times, even threw himself around... Always looked to stay on his feet.

Continues the fine tradition of Brazilian World Cup toe-poke goals :D

What does Hulk do, Flip?

Until today I can't really figure it out :lol: He covers Dani well, but he played most part on the left and looked lost. I understand playing Neymar centrally but you can't put Hulk on the left as his it hurts the only thing he's good at, cutting inside and unleashing a shot (that 95% of the times goes outside the stadium)

He's excellent defensively tbf to him, i think Scolari put him on the left to stop Srna getting forward.

Which worked to be fair, he was a non-factor.