2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

Attacking wise England were very dangerous and caused Italy numerous problems, but certain individuals just didn't perform and that centre of midfield is too slow and too cautious.

I like Henderson, but you can't have him and Gerrard in there together. I'd have Barkley in there as he has the energy and ball carrying skills to not only work the opposition midfield, but to also help out Gerrard defensively. I'd play Rooney deeper too and push Wellbeck wide left with Sterling wide right. Those two have the legs to help out their full-back and support the attack.

------- ----Gerrard Barkley-------

---------------Rooney-------

Sterling ----- Sturridge -------- Wellbeck

Rooney and Gerrard did not embarrass themselves ffs.

:thup: It's f***ing mental, and pretty typical of us.

Rooney had a pretty poor game on the whole I thought and looked permanently angry throughout, but he set our goal up with a fantastic cross from his left foot. Gerrard and Henderson against Pirlo, Marchisio and De Rossi was always going to be difficult, we don't have any kind of imposing midfielder to stick in there either, but he still kept the ball moving forward whenever he was on it and he was involved a lot.

They didn't embarrass themselves but it's not hyperbole to say they were poor. Gerard was anonymous, Baines was prob the worst of all our players and Rooney was tournament Rooney.

It was rather like watching us at a much higher level to be honest.

Round pegs and square holes, 

We were totally over run In midfield as Italy always had a spare man

They dominated possession but I felt we were the more dangerous tbh.

Both sides had good chances I felt Italy out played us and deserved to win tbh.

Outplayed seems very harsh to me.

I think in a footballing sense we were outplayed.

We were reliant on the counter attack and somewhat  one dimensional for me.

Attacking wise England were very dangerous and caused Italy numerous problems, but certain individuals just didn't perform and that centre of midfield is too slow and too cautious.

I like Henderson, but you can't have him and Gerrard in there together. I'd have Barkley in there as he has the energy and ball carrying skills to not only work the opposition midfield, but to also help out Gerrard defensively. I'd play Rooney deeper too and push Wellbeck wide left with Sterling wide right. Those two have the legs to help out their full-back and support the attack.

------- ----Gerrard Barkley-------

---------------Rooney-------

Sterling ----- Sturridge -------- Wellbeck

I like the sentiment but a 4-2-31 should be played with a double pivot for me playing Barkley would leave us massively exposed for especially as Gerrard is lacking defensively.

There is a reason why June play Pirlo with two box to box midfielders in front of them and that is with 3 centre halfs

I thought Gerrard done what was expected of him tbh, not to any great level but he made himself available in the centre and distributed the ball well. Him and Henderson were pretty much alone in the centre and expected to feed the forwards where as Italy packed it with Pirlo, De Rossi, Verratti and Marchisio.

As individuals we have just as much quality as Italy and had all out players fit unlike then. Yet, as a team, they looked a level above.

Anyone 'proud' of that England performance wants their stupid face slapped.

It was the best and brightest England performance at a tournament for a while. It shows how low our stock has fallen though that people are proud of it.

Shouldn't forget who you were playing against. Italy have a knack of making you feel you've had the upper hand in the game but somehow lost against the run of play.

As individuals we have just as much quality as Italy and had all out players fit unlike then. Yet, as a team, they looked a level above.

It was the best and brightest England performance at a tournament for a while. It shows how low our stock has fallen though that people are proud of it.

Shouldn't forget who you were playing against. Italy have a knack of making you feel you've had the upper hand in the game but somehow lost against the run of play.

But nobody feels like that. Italy were just superior in every department as a team.

But nobody feels like that. Italy were just superior in every department as a team.

Not how I saw it, and what I've read on here. The majority seems to feel England played better than it has done for years and deserved something from the game. So do I actually, but this is just so typical after having lost to an Italian team.

Despite the result i thought we played really well and just lost to a better team.

Saw a lot to be positive about and don't think i'd change a thing. Sterling was great and glad Roy picked him, Rooney out left isn't that great for him as an individual but better for the entire balance of the team IMO.

I was quite pessimistic going in as i thought we would see Gerrard and Henderson and Rooney behind Sturridge leading to a massive gap between Gerrard and the rest which wasn't the case.

Confident that we'll win the next two games and get through the group, after that who knows.

Not how I saw it, and what I've read on here. The majority seems to feel England played better than it has done for years and deserved something from the game. So do I actually, but this is just so typical after having lost to an Italian team.

Whatev. I see no reason to be proud of a defence who looked slow and indecisive, a midfield who failed to get any control and a disorganised attack who created (and finished) one good chance all game. We weren't up against great players. There were good performances in doses from Sterling, Sturridge and Barkley when he came on, granted.

Whatev. I see no reason to be proud of a defence who looked slow and indecisive, a midfield who failed to get any control and a disorganised attack who created (and finished) one good chance all game. We weren't up against great players. There were good performances in doses from Sterling, Sturridge and Barkley when he came on, granted.

What about the one your mate miserably fucked up ?

We weren't the better team like, it was the most exciting England attack I've seen for a while though. We look dangerous on the counter with pace and movement up top. We also worked the ball pretty well in possession too. The balance of the midfield was wrong though and we subsequently let Italy dictate possession for long periods, perhaps Bakley or Lallana would have helped in that department. The imbalance also contributed to the exposure of our left side which Italy continuously exploited.

Like I said earlier this England side are a breath of fresh air but there were as many negatives as there were positives yesterday.

We weren't the better team like, it was the most exciting England attack I've seen for a while though. We look dangerous on the counter with pace and movement up top. We also worked the ball pretty well in possession too. The balance of the midfield was wrong though and we subsequently let Italy dictate possession for long periods, perhaps Bakley or Lallana would have helped in that department. The imbalance also contributed to the exposure of our left side which Italy continuously exploited.

Like I said earlier this England side are a breath of fresh air but there were as many negatives as there were positives yesterday.

The one thing you need playing a formation like that is good defenders playing at full back.  On one side we don't have one and the one we have on the other was left at home.

I think it's really difficult to have a balanced midfield whilst we have Gerrard + 1 other personally.

He needs a couple of Box to box players ahead of him to protect him and the channels.

Candreva got so much space due to the overload on our left hand side