sunderland 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/13 - post-match reaction from page 47

Dave

TF:

An unforgivable performance saw us slump to defeat to the worst Sunderland side in a decade.  We started with Dummett in place of Mbiwa, the only change from the battling point against Liverpool a week earlier but things couldn’t have got to a worse start as we conceded within five minutes.

It was a shocker to concede aswell, with Johnson given an embarassingly free run from a corner to clip a cross over to Fletcher, who left Dummett rooted to the spot to head home. The goal got their confidence up and for ten minutes or so we were hanging on to being one down before we slowly got a grip on the game.  For all our possession though, we created next to nothing and our lack of width was there for all to see with Sissoko and Gouffran utterly ineffective.  I’d go as far as saying that neither are good enough to play for NUFC – the former possibly through hideous coaching (I’ll come to that in a minute) and the latter through being just rank fucking average.

We went in one down at half time and thankfully Pardew saw fit to put Sissoko and the travelling support out of their misery, replacing him with Cisse to at least give a semblance of shape to the side, with Ben Arfa given a little more structure pushed wide and a run and shot, or cross if we are being generous from him led to the equaliser, with Debuchy losing Johnson at the back post to put the ball into an empty net.  The goal was met with relief from the travelling Mags and while the game looked their for the taking, we seemed to go into our shell for the final half hour and gift the initiative back to the Mackems.

Remy was withdrawn for the last twenty minutes to make way for Shola.  God knows why mind.  Is the Frenchman still not match fit two months after making his debut for us?  Was he sacrificed for taking on the mantle that Cisse has had for the last year – namely front man with absolutely bugger all service?  Anyway, the change hardly inspired us and as the game drifted to a conclusion, Sunderland looked more likely to grab a winner than us.

And so it proved when they won a free kick from an innocuous challenge just inside our half with five minutes left.  Quickly taken, it caught us napping and with two passes, substitute Borini picked it up 20 yards out and lashed a shot past Krul.  Good shot and all but frighteningly straightforward and despite (said in the loosest sense of the word) the introduction of Sammy, they held on for a victory that they just about deserved based on our generally aimless performance.

That is damning them with faint praise as we managed to be even worse than they were, and they were absolute garbage.  I do hope that this doesn’t translate as bitterness because I’m happy to accept when we deserve to get beat, but Sunderland will be relegated this year and looking at us today, we’ll be down there scrapping it out with them.

Pardew, for me, is finished at NUFC.  I’m totally disinterested by anything he has to say anymore although I believe he tried to shift the blame on our defeat to the officials.  That isn’t why we lost.

Let’s be absolutely brutally honest.  We came fifth under him with a massive slice of fortune – no injuries, no suspensions, all the rub of the green.  Since that, we have been on the whole dreadful.  Decent players like Sissoko and Debuchy have visibly regressed since signing.  Excellent players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa clearly aren’t motivated by him and why would they be?  The latter has been dropped despite being by far and away our most creative player to accommodate rubbish like Gouffran whilst the former has been embroiled in a ‘strike’ that was far from what it was made out to be.

It goes deeper though and again, let’s be brutally honest.  No Premier League team with serious aspirations would have a coaching team consisting of John Carver, Steve Stone and Peter Beardsley.  Carver is the most experienced of those and aside from us, has never had experience at a top flight club.  I’m reliably informed (by him, at more than one talk in I’ve seen him speak at) that he plays a major role in pumping the team up on derby day with motivational videos and chats.  OK.

Stone has coached nowhere other than NUFC and as much as it pains me to say it, as he was such a fantastic footballer, Beardsley’s sole qualification for the role appears to be shining Ashley’s helmet for him.

So in short, our manager isn’t good enough and is now sounding like a bullshitter and his coaching team are doing nothing whatsoever to develop footballers, be they established internationals or younger players from the Academy.  The whole set up is second rate but as long as we don’t get relegated and we probably won’t again, just, then why would Ashley give a fuck?

It’s all as depressing as getting excited about a derby between two nonentities on the national/international stage.  They’ve got the infamous ‘bragging rights’ for the next few months and fair play to them.  We might have them for a few months after that but ultimately, who really gives a fuck?  Is this all we’ve got to look forward to for the rest of our lives between us?

Guest neesy111

Seriously can't be arsed from any of them.  Liars, cunts the lot of them and they are all as bad as each other, someone get me out of this fucking misery.

Look at the desire and workrate from the mackems. Where was ours? We don't even have the fitness to do it like.

Beaten by effort and percentage football. Fucking embarrassing. Goal aside, and that had a lot of fortune about it, we barely troubled the keeper either. Pathetic.

funny you say that, when they won the corner they scored from for some reason it struck me that how they won it was through football basics that we haven't employed for a very long time...altidore isn't going to score many goals but throw the ball to him quickly and he'll protect like a bastard to win you the corner, which he did, and they scored from it

not sure why it struck me at that point (before they took took the corner and scored) but it just annoyed me because we can't do a fucking thing that they teach kids in basic football classes

another that annoyed the shit out of me, and it was so obvious, was pardew with this ben arfa false nine bollocks...there was never going to be any actual plan was there?  was always just going to be "throw benny in, he's good. allardyce fucked spurs 3-0 doing it so we should be able to as well"...another potentially good idea falling flat on it's arse because we don't coach or train people properly

Not sure if anyone else has posted , but the free kick for thier second goal. the ball was moving when Flecther took it. Not sure if the rules have changed , but it should have been retaken.  :sad: So not only Newcastle switch off for the free kick so did the ref..

Not sure if anyone else has posted , but the free kick for thier second goal. the ball was moving when Flecther took it. Not sure if the rules have changed , but it should have been retaken.  :sad: So not only Newcastle switch off for the free kick so did the ref..

Give us a wave.

A deserved defeat after a mediocre performance and a negative approach to a game in which the players should need no motivating...not that Pardew seems very capable of THAT...

Our lack of decent CB cover cost us the early goal and our attempts to get back into the game were laboured and slow - no forward worth their salt would enjoy playing for this side as the build up is so slow that the opposition has plenty of time to get cover on all our forward players by the time the ball reaches the penalty area. Even Remy is beginning to look as if the Pardew disease has got him too, because he had a poor game. HBA was heavily marked every time he got the ball and instead of passing and moving, he tried to retain it which usually ended up with us losing possession again.

Haven't a clue where Sissoko is supposed to be playing and I suspect he doesn't either and the only player to look decent on the day was Tiote who at least ran his socks off to try to keep us moving and break their momentum, not that they were any great shakes which makes the result even more galling.

Debuchy did well to imitate Dummett's blind side run against Liverpool and convert HBA's cross-cum-shot, but we took our foot off the gas and Pardew's subs did nothing to improve things except that Shola did hold the ball up better than Cisse who once again was a flop....Sunderland deserved their win if only for the fact that Borini did something our forwards seem incapable of, that is, beat a defender near the box, create space for a shot, and thrash it into the net, leaving Krul with no chance - the last time I remember anyone doing this - apart from Cabaye  who isn't a forward - was HBA and he got very little chance to try it yesterday.

Another day when our reputation got even more tarnished by the 3 wise monkeys running the club - this is the first back to back losses against the Mackems since 1967....Flower Power and all that......2 years before we won the Fairs Cup, to put it into context.

Yes, Trashley, Kinnear and Pardew are doing a great job of making NUFC a team to be feared - esp if you support them..!

I cannot see any change on the horizon unless we lose the next 3 games, and I suspect Man C might field reserves in the Cup game which would give Pardew another chance to delay the evil day for another few weeks.

Meanwhile, Rome continues to burn as Nero fiddles down in Notts at his summer palace.........

Top end of the league - too expensive.

Winning cups - not enough financial reward.

Developing our own talent - too hard.

Competing in Europe - all of the above.

Dominating biggest rivals - who cares?

When it comes to pride and hope for NUFC fans I'm struggling to think of what's left.

True and tragic.

Top end of the league - too expensive.

Winning cups - not enough financial reward.

Developing our own talent - too hard.

Competing in Europe - all of the above.

Dominating biggest rivals - who cares?

When it comes to pride and hope for NUFC fans I'm struggling to think of what's left.

"Avoiding relegation is what's left. We're no bigger than Sunderland really." -  Ian W (aka WUM I AM)

:lol:

Jesus lads, have a word.

TF:

No Premier League team with serious aspirations would have a coaching team consisting of John Carver, Steve Stone and Peter Beardsley.  Carver is the most experienced of those and aside from us, has never had experience at a top flight club.  I’m reliably informed (by him, at more than one talk in I’ve seen him speak at) that he plays a major role in pumping the team up on derby day with motivational videos and chats.  OK.

Stone has coached nowhere other than NUFC and as much as it pains me to say it, as he was such a fantastic footballer, Beardsley’s sole qualification for the role appears to be shining Ashley’s helmet for him.

So in short, our manager isn’t good enough and is now sounding like a bullshitter and his coaching team are doing nothing whatsoever to develop footballers, be they established internationals or younger players from the Academy.  The whole set up is second rate but as long as we don’t get relegated and we probably won’t again, just, then why would Ashley give a fuck?

That's the best bit of the write up for me.

The coaching budget at our club is criminal when the claimed aspiration is to turn young kids into top players.

Guest Roger Kint

Krul - 6 Shakey moment otherwise ok

Debuchy - 6 good goal but don't think he stopped enough crosses

Willo - 6 poor start but got better

Dummet - 5 Not a premier league quality CB nor would expect to be

Santon - 6 Terrible passing start of game, improved and carried threat later

Tiote - 7 Like Liverpool much improved in some ways, and also to blame in run up to goal 2.

Cabaye - 5 Got a yellow too quickly, didn't impose himself in middle as he normally does

Gouffran - 2 barely featured

Sissoko - 4 nothing worthwhile

Ben Arfa - 2 Uterly useless throughout

Remy - 2 Carried no threat

Cisse - 0 Absolutely no influence on the game

Shola - 5 Tried, bullied their defence a bit

Sammy - n/a

Not going to read the next 10 pages of Pardew when this sums it up perfectly for me. Some inexcusable performances yesterday regardless of the manager. Fucking shameful to see especially HBA who is getting more pointless by the game.

The Journal's match report.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/sunderland-2-newcastle-united-1-6247334?

By Mark Douglas Sunderland 2 Newcastle United 1: Mark Douglas' match analysis

28 Oct 2013 09:15

The storm of St Jude is due to descend on the North East today, but it will be the winds of change that are exercising the minds of Wear-Tyne football fans this morning.

A fixture that has the power to bend seasons went the way of Gus Poyet and Sunderland, who can draw on the transformative power of this result to re-energise a campaign that was in danger of curdling into a corrosive conclusion.

For Alan Pardew and Newcastle, a fierce reckoning awaits. They may no longer welcome questions from the local press thanks to a ban imposed last week, but the inquest will be long and hard for a manager who has now presided over the first back-to-back derby defeats since 1967.

This is an unhappy club that needs results to prevent rebellion, and Wear-Tyne woe plants them right on to the back foot.

The Newcastle boss contended that his team were “robbed” but that was not an accurate summary of the contest. His squad might have been shorn of three first-choice centre-backs but he still arrived on Wearside armed with enough attacking options to give the visitors the justified status of favourites. But they failed to show and Pardew had failed to arrange them into a system that replicated the fine display of last week’s energetic draw with Liverpool: that is a damning indictment of both the squad and the manager.

Quite what Mike Ashley’s next move is we just don’t know. The squad that has been assembled on his watch continues to be perilously inconsistent under this manager, but such is his unpredictability and petulance, presuming a rational response would be giving him too much credit.

The results of a summer transfer strategy which was always insufficient were there in the back four, where poor Paul Dummett was asked to make his Premier League debut at the centre of defence.

By contrast, Poyet’s strategy played off to perfection and the consequences could be momentous. Sunderland were fired up from the off, sensing an opportunity to impose themselves on the game and taking it within five minutes when Adam Johnson’s chipped cross was nodded home by Steven Fletcher.

It was the perfect start for Poyet, who had taken definitive action following their South Wales slump. Carlos Cuellar and Jack Colback were recalled to give Sunderland a robust air of experience, while Andrea Dossena and Jozy Altidore were picked to give them the incessant industry that had been missing in last week’s second half. They proved inspired calls from the Uruguayan. Sunderland pressed relentlessly from the off, unsettling Newcastle’s marquee men and allowing Lee Cattermole the run of the midfield.

Colback was what he always is: neat, tidy and a picture of industry and invention. Quite why anyone would ever consider dropping one of the most consistent Black Cats is beyond this correspondent. Sunderland’s tempo decreased steadily but Newcastle could not gain a foothold on the game.

Hatem Ben Arfa was wasteful and woeful moving forward, while Yohan Cabaye was off the pace. He whacked Colback and picked up a yellow card just before the break.

The real question was how Sunderland would respond in adversity, and when Mathieu Debuchy stabbed home from close range the fear was they would collapse. Instead Poyet brought Ki on and Fabio Borini scored a wonderful goal to hand Sunderland the derby honours.

For Pardew, this was a desperate, desperate afternoon. Having summoned a fine response to the shambolic first half at Everton, he has now seen all of the momentum gathered over the last fortnight dissolve over another woeful hour and a half of derby-day competition.

Pardew claimed afterwards that his team were “robbed”, but if there was any banditry going on at the Stadium of Light it was hard to discern.

It was correct that Newcastle enjoyed the lion’s share of possession in the second half, but Poyet was the smarter manager, sending on Ki to replace Lee Cattermole to slow Sunderland’s furious pace and alter the momentum of the game.

The Newcastle manager and his players had no answer to that, just as Pardew did not offer a response to questions from The Journal and the Chronicle in the post-match press conference.

The club has decided to ban ncjMedia newspapers “indefinitely” after taking issue with the Chronicle’s coverage of the Time4Change march before the Liverpool game, and a club official jumped in before the manager could respond to this correspondent’s question about the manner of Newcastle’s display.

If only it were so easy to control the narrative.

The questions will come loud and clear for United in the next seven days, whether Pardew and the club like it or not.

No battle, no victory

By Lee Ryder on Oct 28, 13 09:26 AM

So then the morning after the day before...

And the general feeling on Tyneside I picked up seems to be frustration as to why Newcastle United failed to match Sunderland when it came to motivation on derby day.

Certainly Sunderland didn't win it because they produced fantastic football on the day and Newcastle didn't lose it because they were really unlucky.

One team wanted it more.

The 3-0 defeat in April should have been motivation enough as far as the Geordie fans are concerned.

But Newcastle started slowly at the Stadium of Light and didn't appear to see what was coming.

By the time they did they were shell-shocked by being 1-0 down and unable to get things together before the break.

With confidence hardly flowing at Sunderland, Newcastle must have known if they'd got in the faces of the home side the cracks would start to emerge.

And after a slight half-time shake-up by Alan Pardew they managed to get themselves level.

In the opening exchanges Newcastle looked like a side that thought everything was simply going to come to them.

Well sadly after Mathieu Debuchy's equaliser they reverted to type.

Again it was lax and Sunderland were hardly going to turn their noses up at a second invite to win the game.

Afterwards, Pardew complained that Lee Probert wrongly awarded a free-kick from which Sunderland went on to score from.

In his Press conference, an ashen faced Pardew said: "The free-kick wasn't a free-kick."

But even then, in football if you are sharp, you play to the whistle.

You don't stop and in a Tyne-Wear derby to consider the injustice of things.

Sunderland have shown what a poor side they are this season but on the day Gus Poyet made them play to their strengths.

They know they aren't Brazil, but that didn't mean they couldn't battle for every ball, contest all of the 50-50s and ensure they won the majority of the air challenges in midfield.

As it turned out the statistics afterwards showed that Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye didn't perform too badly.

Tiote enjoyed 84 touches of the ball while Cabaye weighed in with 72 - Sunderland's most influential player in terms of touches was Phil Bardsley with 58.

Of course, that means nothing when Sunderland stick the ball in the net twice and Newcastle only manage it the once.

But then while Tiote and Cabaye had plenty of the play, Newcastle lost out in aerial battles.

Neither Tiote or Cabaye won one aerial dual all day according to the stats from whoscored.com

And that effectively meant that Sunderland were able to punt it long and sadly when Kieran Westwood booted it through the middle, even when Mike Williamson and Paul Dummett headed or hacked clear Jack Colback and Lee Cattermole were snapping up the ball back first and sometimes unchallenged.

Going forward the Magpies were sloppy, Hatem Ben Arfa's first touch was off meaning Sunderland were quick to pounce on the scraps and Yoan Gouffran proved an ineffective figure.

Loic Remy, then Papiss Cisse were starved of service.

And rather than getting the ball to more proven goalscorers in the squad, Davide Santon, scorer of one Toon goal in his career, appeared to be the main outlet on the left.

Pardew afterwards claimed that Newcastle were the "better side" but despite having plenty of offensive options, none of them showed their true potential when it mattered most.

They had four shots on target at the end of the day - the same as the Mackems.

Sunderland obviously enjoyed their victory and Fabio Borini's strike will be talked about for years on Wearside.

Through gritted teeth you have to give them credit because they were prepared to battle.

And as the old saying goes as far as Newcastle are concerned, no battle, no victory.

Guest firetotheworks

He treats sentences like paragraphs. I can only imagine that it's because that's how his stupid brain processes them. Shaved monkey.

Can you blame him? Look how ugly this sentence is when he tries something a touch more complex:

And that effectively meant that Sunderland were able to punt it long and sadly when Kieran Westwood booted it through the middle, even when Mike Williamson and Paul Dummett headed or hacked clear Jack Colback and Lee Cattermole were snapping up the ball back first and sometimes unchallenged.

Can you blame him? Look how ugly this sentence is when he tries something a touch more complex:

:lol: Honestly what the fuck is that

Guest firetotheworks

It's not an assessment though, is it? Discounting his nursery level English, it's still just "this happened and then this happened and then this happened" when he could have just written that Sunderland's midfield were first to every second ball. Something that everyone could see any way.

Excusing the pedantry surrounding his English I think it's a pretty fair assessment.

No it's not. When you've got good footballers then you should be able to avoid getting drawn into a battle, but that would mean drilling the players in movement and one touch football. There's not much you can do about losing the aerial tussles but when we had the ball where was our game? What was our game? I couldn't see it, and it didn't look like the players had much of a clue either, surprise surprise.

He treats sentences like paragraphs. I can only imagine that it's because that's how his stupid brain processes them. Shaved monkey.

Well established technique for writing for the web. He probably doesn't do it, the editor will create those short paragraphs for it to read well online. The BBC do it too.

Guest firetotheworks

Well established technique for writing for the web. He probably doesn't do it, the editor will create those short paragraphs for it to read well online. The BBC do it too.

I'm aware of the internet man. Nowhere else does it to the extent that The Chronicle does.