sunderland 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/13 - post-match reaction from page 47

Dave

Would actually help if we had a natural winger in our side who likes to get crosses in the box. Once again that's down to lack of transfer activity, i'm not saying Ben Arfa is incapable of putting a cross in the box, he was clearly going solo which was disappointing but at least he was giving it a good go unlike others on the pitch. If we don't learn quickly how to break a side down when they've got men back in numbers, the season isn't going to be pretty. We need to pick our front 3 and stick with it, chopping and changing game to game is not going to get us in any sort rhythm and no awareness for one another will be found.

Then why suggest that tactic if we don't have the players to execute it?

Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go. He's took matter into his own hands and done it his way. Sure he will have got a bollocking for it but it's just the type of player he is, he's capable of producing that moment of magic to win any game but nothing was paying off for him on Sunday, he couldn't even dribble a few yards without slipping and sliding, the ball is usually glued to his feet but it was like he never had it under control.

Doesn't address what I said though does it? We dont have out and out wingers, sunderland were playing with 2 CB's who like to dominate aerially,  but yeah lets whip crosses into to Cisse/Shola.  Or is that all Ben Arfa's fault as well?

I'm not blaming Ben Arfa at all, i thought he was one of a few players actually trying to win us the game. Just at times he picked up the ball centrally and had Santon out wide but was always delaying the pass by about 5 seconds, just wasn't quick enough, he had another off day but can't fault his effort. Was more p*ssed off with Remy the fact he didn't want to know, he's capable of coming deep for the ball but he wasn't interested.

Genuinely don't know what any of that has to do with what I said? I said the tactic was a ridiculous to implement with the players we have. You said "Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go"

We don't have the players for it, so why were we trying to do it? And not only that, it plays pretty much into their hands. Their CB's are slow as f***, should have been looking to exploit that. Screams sunday league "Get the ball into the box"

They were too deep for us to really get behind them in the second. They barely got out of their half. We have massive issues when teams do that as we don't have enough skill and passing to play through numbers and our wide play is poor.

But why would you give their CB's the exact type of ball they will be happiest dealing with. Cisse isn't great in the air, neither is Remy. It doesn't play to our strengths at all, we should have pressed them high up. Or played quick on the counter. We did neither

Well, we could have perhaps made more effort to get to the byline and put low crosses in, or tried some early balls to catch them out. I'm only talking second half here, there wasn't much of an opportunity to counter, they were happy to protect that lead as a team in their position would. Pressing should have been much better. I'm not saying we should have gone exclusively to a wide game but varying it would have been a good idea. We're very predictable against teams sitting back.

I think the whole debate highlights how difficult it is to break down a team that sits deep, especially with the players we have.

“It boiled down to the fact that there weren’t enough crosses going in for the front men."

:jesuswept:

:lol: Pardew? He's trollin hard now.

"GET IT IN THERE" 

Under him, we've never been a team that gets crosses into the strikers. Unless he means 'crosses' from our own half.

Playing with no wingers and a "false 9" led to no crosses? Well fuck me, there's a shock.

:lol: That's the nail in the coffin, that. Deserving of an impactful wrestling move gif (which you'd hate) like a jackhammer or a pump-handle slam.

Guest bimpy474

I would say hammering him for something he didn't actually say is quite harsh, but nobody would want to hear that.

You choosing to disbelieve that story i take it ?.

He could also have been talking about the last 20 minutes when we had abandoned the false 9. 

I hadn't read the full article, but aye, it says as much....

the United boss questioned why some of his troops weren’t following instructions to get crosses into the box for Loic Remy and substitutes Shola Ameobi and Papiss Cisse.

Sounds from the article that once again "it's all Hatem's fault"  :huff:

Watching MOTD2 last night I was surprised to see the final whistle go and Hatem head straight for the tunnel.  i wouldn't blame the fucker.  Would be embarrassing to go over to the fans after that, but....

A dressing room inquest is believed to have swiftly followed the 2-1 loss on Wearside – after some players left the travelling Toon Army disappointed by departing the field quickly without acknowledging the fans.

If that was the most disappointing thing about your day you want to look at your priorities tbf.

Watching MOTD2 last night I was surprised to see the final whistle go and Hatem head straight for the tunnel.  i wouldn't blame the f***er.  Would be embarrassing to go over to the fans after that, but....

A dressing room inquest is believed to have swiftly followed the 2-1 loss on Wearside – after some players left the travelling Toon Army disappointed by departing the field quickly without acknowledging the fans.

If that was the most disappointing thing about your day you want to look at your priorities tbf.

He started to head towards the tunnel, but stopped turned back and waited for the other iirc. Pardew went straight in though. Gave a little clap and waltzed off.

Playing with no wingers and a "false 9" led to no crosses? Well fuck me, there's a shock.

:lol: Honestly, regardless of who said what, the way our various forward men work together to execute a supposed plan is baffling at the best of times. Even Gouffran is usually more appreciated for his work helping the full back rather than what he does in the opposition half. It's not like we haven't got strikers at the club who can't score goals either.

Watching MOTD2 last night I was surprised to see the final whistle go and Hatem head straight for the tunnel.  i wouldn't blame the fucker.  Would be embarrassing to go over to the fans after that, but....

True, if I was manager though I'd make the whole team go and face/thank the fans though. Least they can do.

I would say hammering him for something he didn't actually say is quite harsh, but nobody would want to hear that.

You choosing to disbelieve that story i take it ?.

I don't really choose anything... it's just not a Pardew quote.

It is a Pardew quote. He said exactly that in the NUFCTV interview after the game. Unlucky, troll.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,93975.msg4698659.html#msg4698659

HBA would have to play on the left if he's expected to put crosses in, and he looks pretty shit normally when he plays there. On the right he cuts in virtually all the time, unlike Townsend for example who seems happy to go either way. The best crosser we have from the right is Debuchy, from the left Sammy (see Leeds).

HBA would have to play on the left if he's expected to put crosses in, and he looks pretty shit normally when he plays there. On the right he cuts in virtually all the time, unlike Townsend for example who seems happy to go either way. The best crosser we have from the right is Debuchy, from the left Sammy (see Leeds).

I think HBA could do perfectly well on the left and deliver quality crosses as well, but he would need a couple of players attacking the goal in order to do it. There was one point in the 55th minute when there was a peach of a cross came in but it was to the back post and Cisse and Gouffran both attacked the near post. That's just poor organisation.