Newcastle Utd 2 - 0 Chelsea - 02/11/13 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Mike

Guest icemanblue

Brilliant that, mind. A fantastic performance. Shades of the Benfica 'game plan', but executed better, and with a slice of luck (Tiote injury, even though he was playing well). We were solid for 2/3 of the game, with each of the back four having excellent games, then went for them in the last third. Some of our play during that period (Sissoko - Remy link up, Gouffran and Sissoko chances) was very good indeed. Looked a real threat again.

On the balance of chances, I think we probably deserved the win, but definitely deserved something from it. Definitely didn't see that coming when I saw the team sheet.

Brilliant that, mind. A fantastic performance. Shades of the Benfica 'game plan', but executed better, and with a slice of luck (Tiote injury, even though he was playing well). We were solid for 2/3 of the game, with each of the back four having excellent games, then went for them in the last third. Some of our play during that period (Sissoko - Remy link up, Gouffran chance) was very good indeed. Looked a real threat again.

On the balance of chances, I think we probably deserved the win, but definitely deserved something from it. Definitely didn't see that coming when I saw the team sheet.

the chances is the curious thing, off the top of my head I remember only 3 hairy moments where you think oh christ, Terry in the first half and that double chance Krul and Debuchy stopped while we had a few more we could have done better with. Very strange for a side with as much creative talent as Chelsea have.

Was Ba on the bench for them? Would have been much more worried had he came on instead of Eto'o.

Atmosphere was pretty good in the second half. We got the goal just after a decent spell, helped keep the levels up til the end.

At least I'm going to actually enjoy the rest of this weekend :thup:

Ba wasn't even the 18 man squad.

He's living the dream down there, for sure.

Guest bimpy474

Was Ba on the bench for them? Would have been much more worried had he came on instead of Eto'o.

Atmosphere was pretty good in the second half. We got the goal just after a decent spell, helped keep the levels up til the end.

At least I'm going to actually enjoy the rest of this weekend :thup:

Ba wasn't even the 18 man squad.

He's living the dream down there, for sure.

Aye, i suppose it was worth the extra £20,000 a week.

Guest icemanblue

Brilliant that, mind. A fantastic performance. Shades of the Benfica 'game plan', but executed better, and with a slice of luck (Tiote injury, even though he was playing well). We were solid for 2/3 of the game, with each of the back four having excellent games, then went for them in the last third. Some of our play during that period (Sissoko - Remy link up, Gouffran chance) was very good indeed. Looked a real threat again.

the chances is the curious thing, off the top of my head I remember only 3 hairy moments where you think oh christ, Terry in the first half and that double chance Krul and Debuchy stopped while we had a few more we could have done better with. Very strange for a side with as much creative talent as Chelsea have.

The one that dropped to Hazard had my heart in my mouth. To be fair, we limited them to only having those chances. Lads at the back did their jobs, and beyond, today.

Brilliant that, mind. A fantastic performance. Shades of the Benfica 'game plan', but executed better, and with a slice of luck (Tiote injury, even though he was playing well). We were solid for 2/3 of the game, with each of the back four having excellent games, then went for them in the last third. Some of our play during that period (Sissoko - Remy link up, Gouffran and Sissoko chances) was very good indeed. Looked a real threat again.

Spot on.

Winning today was a brilliant result but it's got to be said that we were poor until Anita came on and changed the game.  It's a good job Tiote went off injured and good job Chelsea were poor, regardless of the possession they must have had.

I don't think we were poor at all, tactically we played the game perfectly and Tiote was outstanding while he was on the pitch. We sat back and stifled a very gifted Chelsea team first half, then went at them in the second. 11 outstanding displays today, it was a performance to make you very proud as a Newcastle fane.

The whole team  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The one that dropped to Hazard had my heart in my mouth. To be fair, we limited them to only having those chances. Lads at the back did their jobs, and beyond, today.

I am really liking the MYM/Iron Mike combo at cb seems the best pair to cover each others weaknesses Mapou to cover the speed Iron Mike to deal with the physical stuff

Even though Lukaku is still a bit lacking technically, which he is, he's one of the most physically-dominant center forwards in the world. His hold-up play is outstanding and he can strike a mean ball.

True but even Benteke is a better player.

Lukaku is the best young center forward I have seen at St James for years and I would say he is better that Torres, Ba and Eto put together and if I was Mike I would spend my entire January transfer budget on him

also to my surprise there was no sign of any fatigue from half the team playing 120 mins midweek which is good to see

Got stronger as the game went on, was only Gouffran who looked kippered when he came off but I guess getting ahead and protecting a lead always means you'll find some extra running in your legs rather than when you're chasing a game.

I don't think we were poor at all, tactically we played the game perfectly and Tiote was outstanding while he was on the pitch. We sat back and stifled a very gifted Chelsea team first half, then went at them in the second. 11 outstanding displays today, it was a performance to make you very proud as a Newcastle fane.

Chelsea were also poor.

Chelsea were also poor.

so were they just poor or did we make them look bad? or bit of both. Regardless you'd think someone in their side would have pulled some moment of magic out of the bag.

Guest icemanblue

Chelsea were also poor.

They weren't, like. They came out of the blocks very well in the first ten minutes. I thought we were going to get hammered watching their movement. But we stifled them very, very well and made them to start to rush things in the second half.

so were they just poor or did we make them look bad? or bit of both. Regardless you'd think someone in their side would have pulled some moment of magic out of the bag.

They were poor, nothing we did made them pass to our players when they had plenty of time on the ball.

They were poor, nothing we did made them pass to our players when they had plenty of time on the ball.

Well it did actually, we closed them down, made it hard from them and kept our defensive shape. Do you think if we'd just been strolling around Chelsea would have spontaneously just been giving the ball away themselves?

They weren't, like. They came out of the blocks very well in the first ten minutes. I thought we were going to get hammered watching their movement. But we stifled them very, very well and made them to start to rush things in the second half.

They were poor, I can't remember watching them lose possession as much through sloppy passing as they did today.  Torres looked as if he's been taking lessons from Cisse on how to play the off-side rule badly.

think your being harsh personally but hey to each their own opinion.

Well it did actually, we closed them down, made it hard from them and kept our defensive shape. Do you think if we'd just been strolling around Chelsea would have spontaneously just been giving the ball away themselves?

They did give the ball away themselves, both teams did.

I'll just add Chelsea to my ever growing list of clubs who we make look average/poor, Venky. Finally our performances of recent times get the result they deserve! Everytime I think we our playing our best football we come out the following game and play even better, superb stuff! People will start to take notice of us soon!

Aye alreet, Bert.

I'll just add Chelsea to my ever growing list of clubs who we make look average/poor, Venky. Finally our performances of recent times get the result they deserve! Everytime I think we our playing our best football we come out the following game and play even better, superb stuff! People will start to take notice of us soon!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6720t0a8W1qzdknio1_500.gif