Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughton's football was fine. Never scintillating, but it became increasingly less negative after the second half of the Championship season. There were fleeting moments around Christmas time where I thought promotion might not be won at an absolute canter, but he soon addressed it with good signings and good football. Granted, that year was hardly the best to judge Hughton's footballing philosophy (although he still played the role brilliantly, imo).

We all know what Hughton's philosophy is. He'll take Norwich down if given the chance.

Very few teams come out of the Championship having scored 90 goals - post Christmas of that season, it was basically scoring at will, especially at home.

But yeah he's a c***.

Sorry I must have missed the post where someone called him a c***.

People are mixing up style with attitude or ethos. Although we were more direct under Hughton, his sides were nowhere near as negative as Pardew's.

That's true. Doesn't mean we played good football, though.

Guest bimpy474

People are mixing up style with attitude or ethos. Although we were more direct under Hughton, his sides were nowhere near as negative as Pardew's.

Spot on.

Very few teams come out of the Championship having scored 90 goals - post Christmas of that season, it was basically scoring at will, especially at home.

But yeah he's a c***.

It's long been the fashion on here to think that Chris Hughton is a clueless arsehole. I'm just trying to fit in.

But yeah he's a c***.

It's long been the fashion on here to think that Chris Hughton is a clueless arsehole. I'm just trying to fit in.

It's not what I think and I have made clear the respect I have for him - but whatever......

Yes that's a fair comment.

Agree with this.  We played a bit of a mixed style under Hughton, there's no way it was all hoof balls and knock downs though - at our best we played some really entertaining football, some of it direct and some of it on the deck.  You could say the same for Bobby Robson's teams, not that I'm saying that Hughton's wasn't more direct.

You could argue we've played better football this season in terms of keeping it on the deck (if you think that's all that there is to it - I don't) but back then we had less technically adept players but wouldn't often sit on a lead, and were generally involved in more entertaining games.

You could argue we've played better football this season in terms of keeping it on the deck (if you think that's all that there is to it - I don't) but back then we had less technically adept players but wouldn't often sit on a lead, and were generally involved in more entertaining games.

Spot on. I enjoyed our fairly direct, but not too much, in your face style; we'll do you at home if the crowd fancy it we had under Kevin NolanHughton.

Spot on. I enjoyed our fairly direct, but not too much, in your face style; we'll do you at home if the crowd fancy it we had under Kevin NolanHughton.

:lol: :lol: Fucking hell man I forgot all about that saga.

Agree with this.  We played a bit of a mixed style under Hughton, there's no way it was all hoof balls and knock downs though - at our best we played some really entertaining football, some of it direct and some of it on the deck.  You could say the same for Bobby Robson's teams, not that I'm saying that Hughton's wasn't more direct.

Sorry don't think there was much that was mixed about the football under Hughton. We may have had a more attacking philosophy but the football was long ball, set piece and knock downs. It worked with what we had though....

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton's side wasn't exactly free flowing but it was far from the turgid defensive shit we see on average from Pardew. We more often than not were set up and sent out to win and to get at the opposition, hence some big scorelines and fantastic wins.

Yep spot on. Thoroughly enjoyed it and made great use out of the players he had at his disposal. We also played as a team much better then too.

Yep spot on. Thoroughly enjoyed it and made great use out of the players he had at his disposal. We also played as a team much better then too.

Too many jonny foreigners

ronaldo's right about the football under hughton, it wasn't very good but then i'd not term it "utter s***" personally

It's served a purpose for the league we were in. Hughtons team outperformed Keegan team of 92/93 in terms of points, games won and fewer defeats but all of us who were there to witness both those seasons know there was no comparison between the 2 sides. Keegans team were just a pleasure to watch and captured the imagination of everyone whereas Hughtons was functional and more effective.

Sorry don't think there was much that was mixed about the football under Hughton. We may have had a more attacking philosophy but the football was long ball, set piece and knock downs. It worked with what we had though....

I bolded the key part. With that squad it would have been stupid to do anything else. There were signs that he wanted to move to a more footballing style though with the attempted purchase of Victor Moses and Ben Arfa. In any case, the point is, he used the squad he had in a manner which played to their strengths. Something which I'd argue is Pardew's biggest failing.

I bolded the key part. With that squad it would have been stupid to do anything else. There were signs that he wanted to move to a more footballing style though with the attempted purchase of Victor Moses and Ben Arfa. In any case, the point is, he used the squad he had in a manner which played to their strengths. Something which I'd argue is Pardew's biggest failing.

I do have a lot of doubt that he had much to do with Ben Arfa arriving, or any player transactions for that matter.