Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You've got to hand it to them they've played in the sins if the past perfectly convincing people that stability and wisdom comes from sticking by the manager; whilst the reality being it keeps yes men in place. That's why people defend him so vehemently because they think that nufc is being somehow protected. It's utter bollocks but it's clever.

I'm one of the people who believes that manger's don't have a big impact on a team.

There's a tiny group of geniuses in the Alex Ferguson/Bobby Robson bracket who will change your fortunes single-handedly.

There's also a small group of complete idiots who should find alternative employment. (It looks like we've got one of these unfortunately.)

Beyond that it's just choosing from a pile of candidates who are pretty much as good as each other, and finding the one who's the right fit for your club personality-wise.

Yes, but even among the group of relative no-marks, there are still some managers you would accept or tolerate if you see a certain kind of intention to play good football, honesty, dignity, and a genuine concern for the club's well being. Hughton wasn't the best manager in the world, and probably never will be. But the case against him was never made so strongly, and with such vitriol. Sure, some could see his failings, but he is a good man, and conducted himself really well in general. His teams had passion and fight in them, and clearly played for him. I would have been content - not happy, but content - to see us beat the mackems regularly, win most of our home games, and show some fight in the games we lose, under Hughton.

The bloke we have in charge now has none of Hughton's personal qualities to go along with his own total ineptness at managing a football team. Pardew's ego is his biggest failing imo and he's a lot less tolerable than a man like Hughton.

I'm one of the people who believes that manger's don't have a big impact on a team.

There's a tiny group of geniuses in the Alex Ferguson/Bobby Robson bracket who will change your fortunes single-handedly.

There's also a small group of complete idiots who should find alternative employment. (It looks like we've got one of these unfortunately.)

Beyond that it's just choosing from a pile of candidates who are pretty much as good as each other, and finding the one who's the right fit for your club personality-wise.

Yes, but even among the group of relative no-marks, there are still some managers you would accept or tolerate if you see a certain kind of intention to play good football, honesty, dignity, and a genuine concern for the club's well being. Hughton wasn't the best manager in the world, and probably never will be. But the case against him was never made so strongly, and with such vitriol. Sure, some could see his failings, but he is a good man, and conducted himself really well in general. His teams had passion and fight in them, and clearly played for him. I would have been content - not happy, but content - to see us beat the mackems regularly, win most of our home games, and show some fight in the games we lose, under Hughton.

The bloke we have in charge now has none of Hughton's personal qualities to go along with his own total ineptness at managing a football team. Pardew's ego is his biggest failing imo and he's a lot less tolerable than a man like Hughton.

Yeah I think we agree here, the idea is that within that's group it's more about personality than tactical skills.

Fit is also very important. No matter how good of a manager you are if the players can't stand you and you can't work with your staff it's not going to end well.

Yeah I think we agree here, the idea is that within that's group it's more about personality than tactical skills.

Fit is also very important. No matter how good of a manager you are if the players can't stand you and you can't work with your staff it's not going to end well.

:thup: Just like a good marriage. All about the right place, the right time, and the right circumstances. You just can't force it. That's what happened with Keegan. KK may never have had the same impact on management had he taken his first job immediately after retiring his playing career, or had he gone to manage say, Charlton - a club with whom he had no connection. There was a scenario at Newcastle, and it needed a man like Keegan to spearhead it. I would have happily seen NUFC bob along nicely (stability) in mid table under Hughton until the moment came for a "Keegan/Hall-like" scenario to appear again.

I think Keegan is the perfect example of the importance of fit. He was exactly the right man at the right time for NUFC.

But despite the fact that his tactical abilities should probably earn him a spot in the "genius" category, he never lived up to his potential because he wasn't the right fit for basically every job he took subsequently.

The fact of the matter is this.  He has been given a team full of International players and he has them playing in a manner that makes your eyes bleed. He has no idea how to use them in the correct position nor has he any clue how to use creative players. So that would normally point to a defence dominated style wouldn't it? Yet here we are shipping goals for fun and people still cannot see that the management team are culpable?  They're never going to learn are they? Hence the tepid resentment at the games.

The fact of the matter is this.  He has been given a team full of International players and he has them playing in a manner that makes your eyes bleed. He has no idea how to use them in the correct position nor has he any clue how to use creative players. So that would normally point to a defence dominated style wouldn't it? Yet here we are shipping goals for fun and people still cannot see that the management team are culpable?  They're never going to learn are they? Hence the tepid resentment at the games.

Excellent summation.  Sadly the goon army will never grasp this. 

I make a point for the sake of my sanity of never reading comments on, well anything basically, so not sure what kind of defensive arguments people are coming out with but from the lads I talk to in the pub who still defend Pardew I think it stems from an inability to view the situation in anything but the most basic terms: e.g it's Ashley's fault so it can't be Pardew's

I find the Cabaye thing especially frustrating - yes we sold our best player and didn't replace him, but what if he had got injured instead? It's just not acceptable to be in a position where the loss of 1 player results in the complete collapse of the whole team.

I make a point for the sake of my sanity of never reading comments on, well anything basically, so not sure what kind of defensive arguments people are coming out with but from the lads I talk to in the pub who still defend Pardew I think it stems from an inability to view the situation in anything but the most basic terms: e.g it's Ashley's fault so it can't be Pardew's

I find the Cabaye thing especially frustrating - yes we sold our best player and didn't replace him, but what if he had got injured instead? It's just not acceptable to be in a position where the loss of 1 player results in the complete collapse of the whole team.

What do they say when you mention that we almost were relegated last season WITH Cabaye, and it took a moment of stupidity from a flop like Bosingwa to keep us up?

Edit: Let me guess. Yurop. We waz tired from yurop

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-gives-assurances-over-7051134

As much as I never think it will happen, but theoretically imagine how grim it is if Ashley actually finally spends money, and it's pardew who oversees it. Could set us back years realistically. Hence why it's paramount we get rid of pardew and concentrate on Ashely afterwards

Absolutely this - The point has now been reached where significant investment is unavoidable without severe consequences.  It would be catastrophic for this to be overseen by a nugget like him.  Investing in a decent manager and giving him the funds to do what is required would finally be a massive step in the right direction.  Of course, all of this will not happen for all the obvious reasons.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mike-ashley-gives-assurances-over-7051134

As much as I never think it will happen, but theoretically imagine how grim it is if Ashley actually finally spends money, and it's pardew who oversees it. Could set us back years realistically. Hence why it's paramount we get rid of pardew and concentrate on Ashely afterwards

Even if Ashley was willing to "splash" i doubt he'd tell people in advance. If other clubs know we're looking to rebuild and the money is there to spend then the asking price for player x just went went up by 25%.

Be the same as when he let Wise spend his money. Xisco's galore.

Absolutely this - The point has now been reached where significant investment is unavoidable without severe consequences.  It would be catastrophic for this to be overseen by a nugget like him.  Investing in a decent manager and giving him the funds to do what is required would finally be a massive step in the right direction.  Of course, all of this will not happen for all the obvious reasons.

It's huge IMO. If pardew fucks it up you can be sure that MA won't be spending again. This is really pivotal I feel.

Pardew has already fucked up, players like Cabaye and Remy have/will leave because ultimately they want to play for ambitious clubs with a good manager. The same will happen next season if Pardew is allowed to spend money. Does anyone really think players like Colback and Shelvey are going to see us challenging for Europe again?

It's huge IMO. If pardew fucks it up you can be sure that MA won't be spending again. This is really pivotal I feel.

Pardew has already fucked up, players like Cabaye and Remy have/will leave because ultimately they want to play for ambitious clubs with a good manager. The same will happen next season if Pardew is allowed to spend money. Does anyone really think players like Colback and Shelvey are going to see us challenging for Europe again?

But we know the owner doesn't want Europe so you've answered your own question mate.

But we know the owner doesn't want Europe so you've answered your own question mate.

But according to the articles in this thread, Ashley wants to further improve on our top 10 position by investing more on players than any other club outside the top 4.  Is that going to happen with Pardew as manager and his buy-not-quite-top-class English players policy?

Guest Walter

Cristiano Ronaldo:

''Ancelotti deserves all the credit. He has changed everything. He has changed the mentality of the players.''