Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Since we got to the League Cup final in 1976 (I was there btw, Dennis cunting Tuart!!!) we've had 76 domestic cup campaigns. In 65 of them we've failed to get past the 5th round.

Since Ashley took over, how many times have we been past the fourth round of any domestic cup competition?  How far back in Newcastle's history do you have to go to find that many consecutive seasons of not getting past that stage in those competitions?  How many FA Cup games has Alan Pardew, the second longest serving Premier League manager, won with Newcastle United?

We got to the 1/4 final of the Uefa last season, that's better than our "par for the course" tbh

Which would be encouraging for the future and imply that would be a good competition for us to try and excel in, if we hadn't since decided we don't want to compete in it.

I'd say we only got one round further in the Europa than you might've expected as well.  Played some absolute dross before Anzhi.

Genuine question. Has any other manager tried to blame the local media and (especially) fans as much as Pardew?

Don't think he's really tried to 'blame' the fans at all, just an overreaction to saying home fans can sometimes put us under a bit of pressure. Which is clearly true if you've spent much time in SJP.

Since we got to the League Cup final in 1976 (I was there btw, Dennis c***ing Tuart!!!) we've had 76 domestic cup campaigns. In 65 of them we've failed to get past the 5th round.

Since Ashley took over, how many times have we been past the fourth round of any domestic cup competition?  How far back in Newcastle's history do you have to go to find that many consecutive seasons of not getting past that stage in those competitions?  How many FA Cup games has Alan Pardew, the second longest serving Premier League manager, won with Newcastle United?

We got to the 1/4 final of the Uefa last season, that's better than our "par for the course" tbh

Which would be encouraging for the future and imply that would be a good competition for us to try and excel in, if we hadn't since decided we don't want to compete in it.

Oh our recent record is crap, but it's more the rule than the exception over our recent (40-odd years) history.

Since we got to the League Cup final in 1976 (I was there btw, Dennis c***ing Tuart!!!) we've had 76 domestic cup campaigns. In 65 of them we've failed to get past the 5th round.

Oh our recent record is crap, but it's more the rule than the exception over our recent (40-odd years) history.

Thing is though, even if you support a crap team (which we have done for long periods of our recent history) you're at least usually watching your team try and do something.  Even if you're not challenging for the title or getting into cup finals, you're trying to avoid a real threat of relegation to stay in a league where you're maybe punching above your weight, or you're trying to get promoted, or trying to get into the play-offs, or trying to establish yourself in a league, or trying to have a cup run up to a round where you might not have previously expected to get to.  And watching your club trying to do something is entertaining, you can succeed or fail, every game you play makes a difference to how likely you are to achieve your goal, and then you can get the wireless out and see how your rivals for that goal did, and go to the pub and argue about if you're going to do it or not. 

That's what we're lacking at the moment, people aren't pig sick because we've not won trophies, they're pig sick because we don't have any goals, targets or ambitions to support the club on the way to.

Thing is though, even if you support a crap team (which we have done for long periods of our recent history) you're at least usually watching your team try and do something.  Even if you're not challenging for the title or getting into cup finals, you're trying to avoid a real threat of relegation to stay in a league where you're maybe punching above your weight, or you're trying to get promoted, or trying to get into the play-offs, or trying to establish yourself in a league, or trying to have a cup run up to a round where you might not have previously expected to get to.  And watching your club trying to do something is entertaining, you can succeed or fail, every game you play makes a difference to how likely you are to achieve your goal, and then you can get the wireless out and see how your rivals for that goal did, and go to the pub and argue about if you're going to do it or not. 

That's what we're lacking at the moment, people aren't pig sick because we've not won trophies, they're pig sick because we don't have any goals, targets or ambitions to support the club on the way to.

Nail on the head.

Genuine question. Has any other manager tried to blame the local media and (especially) fans as much as Pardew?

Don't think he's really tried to 'blame' the fans at all, just an overreaction to saying home fans can sometimes put us under a bit of pressure. Which is clearly true if you've spent much time in SJP.

That's literally the same with every single club.

That's literally the same with every single club.

Probably, aye. The fans at SJP can definitely be a help and a hindrance, that's all.

I think he's been very fortunate in the minute amount of  criticism he's had from the crowd en masse. He's been cut loads of slack by the bulk of the support. Most of this I'd attribute to the constant stream of negative/defeatist bullshit coming from the owner and manger, the crowd expect us to lose regularly when we're constantly told we can't compete with nearly half the fucking league.

Clutching at straws a bit, but the article in yesterday's chronicle about bringing in another DOF suggests there will be a review at the end of the season, including Pardew's performance and to look at what direction the club are going in. Perhaps they'll get rid at the end of the season?

I did wonder whether the decision to not replace Cabaye was in order to test Pardew's ability as a coach with an eye to replacing him in the summer if the results were poor. Ashley might feel that if we buy fantastic prospects then it's the players getting the results and Pardew gets the credit for it without actually contributing much himself.  It is clutching at straws though. Far more likely Ashley doesn't really care if there's no progress as long as we are drifting along nicely in mid-table and he doesn't have to get involved too much.

100% the second one.

I honestly think Ashley will spend this summer, but it will just be to protect his investment. He won't spend the required money to improve us massively, it'll just be enough to ensure we have another comfortable season if possible. I mean, how much are you talking to replace Cabaye and buy/replace Remy before you look to look elsewhere? Those two are musts, he has no option to buy a striker or two this summer. I'm not convinced Cisse is gonna find his way back either. We're going nowhere exciting with these idiots though.

Why mention how many times we've got out of the 5th round when Pardew has never even got us out of the 4th round of the FA Cup?  He's only got us out of the 3rd round once in 4 attempts and I don't think he could have been asked for an easier set of fixtures.

Mick, you need to remember that 8th is 1st, 4th round is final and 5th round is winner.

Pardew has seen us go out in the 3rd round 3 times and the 4th round once, in the previous 8 years we went out on the 3rd round twice, 4th round twice, quarter finals once, semi finals once and the final twice.  I don't know how anybody can compare those records and try to make our last 4 years look as if they are normal.

Mick, you need to remember that 8th is 1st, 4th round is final and 5th round is winner.

Pardew has seen us go out in the 3rd round 3 times and the 4th round once, in the previous 8 years we went out on the 3rd round twice, 4th round twice, quarter finals once, semi finals once and the final twice.  I don't know how anybody can compare those records and try to make our last 4 years look as if they are normal.

Previous 8 years? What time period are you looking at?

Pardew started in 2010, so the previous 8 years are 2001-2009. Last time we were in the final was 1999.

Not that your point isn't 100% valid though.

Previous 8 years? What time period are you looking at?

Pardew started in 2010, so the previous 8 years are 2001-2009. Last time we were in the final was 1999.

Not that your point isn't 100% valid though.

You're right.  :blush: