Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There are definite signs that he's learning from his mistakes and becoming a better manager as a result. Beating Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd in the space of a couple of weeks without conceding a goal is genuinely impressive by any standards.

I hate myself for even suggesting this, but is there perhaps a tiny possibility that Kinnear is having a positive influence behind the scenes?

Furthermore, just as those who dislike Pardew have to hold their hands up at the moment and give credit where it's due, there were vast swathes of people on here last season (many of whom have been rapid in their attempts to hand out humble pie) consistently saying that the manager wasn't the problem and that it was actually the players (I distinctly remember searing criticism of Debuchy, Colo, MYM, Santon, Cabaye, Anita, Sissoko to name a few) who were garbage and that they were no better than the relegation fodder that the points total suggested.

absolutely 100% correct mind you

instead of pointing out how last season's failure was totally pardew's fault again i'd like to just point out that i really hope the team gelling now provides some vindication to ashley and fucking kinnear that graham carr knows his players and we should let him get on with it

kinnear is such a fuck factor to thing progressing like, or so it appears

Agreed. Although has Kinnear really done much wrong so far? He's been quiet since his kebab incident and only really bad thing I think he's done has been possibly missing out on Douglas?

There are definite signs that he's learning from his mistakes and becoming a better manager as a result. Beating Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd in the space of a couple of weeks without conceding a goal is genuinely impressive by any standards.

I hate myself for even suggesting this, but is there perhaps a tiny possibility that Kinnear is having a positive influence behind the scenes?

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/url-17.gif

Agree with a lot of what's being said. I'm really hoping that these last fee weeks are the green shoots of recovery. He admitted to being too cautious in the second half at home when we were winning (I forget which game) then he made a surprising change today in bringing on Hatem so early, and he also admitted blame for the Swansea performance.

If he could get over his ridiculously negative attitude in the games he's scared to lose he'd be doing everyone a huge favour. Will the penny drop though? I hope so, and it's been a long time since I've had any hope.

I wouldn't get too over-excited just yet. At the moment we look like a typically good cup side. Defensively sound and capable of pinching a win against anyone. The problem might be when we need to beat weaker sides where we need to adopt a more aggressive approach. This is where Pardew resembles Moyes more than Ferguson IMO. Capable of going so far but then hits a ceiling.

:lol:

Did I come across as excited? I'm just pleased to be able to genuinely praise our manager again for doing his job.

Agree with a lot of what's being said. I'm really hoping that these last fee weeks are the green shoots of recovery. He admitted to being too cautious in the second half at home when we were winning (I forget which game) then he made a surprising change today in bringing on Hatem so early, and he also admitted blame for the Swansea performance.

If he could get over his ridiculously negative attitude in the games he's scared to lose he'd be doing everyone a huge favour. Will the penny drop though? I hope so, and it's been a long time since I've had any hope.

:thup:

I feel like a woman scorn with Pardew.

He does seem to be learning but will still put out some infuriating performances or passages of play.

I don't think he's ever going to be a great tactician but he is willing to change it up, what was worrying about last season is how we couldn't get back the belief and couldn't attack convincingly, we had to work so hard just to get a goal. He is still a good man manager and he seems to have successfuly kept the squad together and instilled some belief again.

Well done him on turning it around, rarely do managers get the chance to do that, I still hate how negative he is, and I was desperate for him to go as anyone after liverpool and sunderland loses last season.

Guest tollemache

I'm slightly embarrassed that, after sticking with him and being so relentlessly long-termist throughout his entire reign until about a month or two ago, I finally started to question my stance right before we turned the corner again - even if I stopped a long way short of the alarmist piffle generated by pretty much every NUFC fan I know or have read online. "Doing a Moyes" is about right. As I said again and again over the last couple of seasons, we're like Everton with more money, and we'll probably yo-yo up and down the league getting into and out of Europe for a bit, with a general upward trajectory.

I think if we'd went with the extra man in midfield against Swansea that might have stopped them running us off the park last Wednesday. But give Pardew his due he got it right against Man U at least.

It will be interesting to see how we go about playing Southampton, if we have a go at them and try to retain possession then I'll start to think he may learn from his mistakes.  If not then it will just be another false dawn like we've seen in the past.  Yesterday was brilliant but it was only one game and we've had good games in the past without building on them.

He's got a long way to go before he convinces me that he's turned a corner.

I feel like a battered wife when it comes to Pardew. There are certain things he does and says which make my blood boil. For example, I hate his habit of constantly telling the fans what we think/are supposed to think. And I still think he's prone to a tactical brain-fart, Swansea being the most recent example - a match we were bound to lose given the way we set up.

But I do find him likeable on occasions. He's going to be here for years and years so I think we've got to be open to good aspects of him, or we'll risk getting disillusioned altogether. We need to learn to live with him. So, for example, his utter smugness in victory is something I can actually get behind, cos with that, there's an element of 'that's what it's all about'. His condescension regarding ManU in the post-match interview, I actually chuckled and said "go on, Pards", like the daft little spaz I am. And when he's making sensible tactical decisions you can't criticise him.

At the moment it's more sheer relief that he's getting more things right than wrong, as opposed to firm belief that he's turned a corner/is a good manager. I don't think he has/is. He's improved on last season and, like I say, I'm simply relieved about that. But if we were offered a more cultured manager from the continent - a la Southampton/Pocchetino - I would still take the punt given the chance.

There'll be no change in manager whilst Ashley is here and we're still in the PL, though. Just hope Pardew keeps it up.

Massive, massive credit to Pardew for yesterday. He set us up in a way that we would dominate the midfield and got us to play as an organised and cohesive unit. 41 and a half years without a win at Old Trafford and Pardew achieved a moment of history with the win yesterday (pretty much in the same vein as the Chelsea win at Stamford Bridge 2 seasons ago).

Guest firetotheworks

I'll only begin to think that he might have changed if we lose playing attacking, possession-based football and then doesn't scrap like he did after that Wigan away match. So far we've played the way that I think we should for one match.

I'll only begin to think that he might have changed if we lose playing attacking, possession-based football and then doesn't scrap like he did after that Wigan away match. So far we've played the way that I think we should for one match.

:thup:

Interesting to hear him say post Man U that he asked the players to play in a different way, and mentioned keeping the ball. It's usually a good idea like. It's like when he brought Cabaye over before that free kick and told him to whip it into a good area with pace :lol: