Newcastle United 1 - 1 Southampton - 14/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 32

Beren

Guest bimpy474

As soon as Southampton came out 2nd half we were desperate for a extra body in central midfield to get control of the ball, Pardew subs Ameobi for Cisse. That sub made no sense whatsoever. Pardew's reactions to oppositions who change things is so poor it's untrue. Something so many have said on here.

We see it coming, i even think the players do but Pardew never seems to, it really is quite bizarre how poor he is when it happens.

I said more or less the same thing in the Pardew thread without even seeing this post. We were 1-0 up at home against a weakened S'ton team and regardless of the result we should have been able to impose ourselves more in that second half.

It is weird we can do it at Old Trafford, yet bottle it against Southampton. I know Cabaye was missing but Pardew's attitude that we needed to keep the ball last week but not so much this (hence Krul going long a lot today), well i hate that. We should always want to keep the ball.

No, at Manu the onus was on them to play and us to stop them. We were the underdog, players know it and they went out there to prove themselves.

Today, we're favourites, we have to impose ourselves against a team of lesser players.

Unfortunately they had most of the ball, we had a couple of decent spells but we seemed to rely on mistakes or breaks to get good opportunities  at goal.

We don't a particularly effective system of attack.

But at Old Trafford we played with 3 in the middle and controlled the ball, today he goes with Shola against a team many of us noted he wouldn't be suited to. Because Southampton keep it and Shola is passed around (think Swansea). Southampton are a possession side and we needed to put numbers in the middle to stop that happening, we didn't.

Tbf we played well first half (Shola didn't and was awful for the reasons i stated imo). With Southampton bringing on Lallana and tweaking their system we were crying out for that body, we didn't do it and paid the price giving them the initiative. Something we do time after time when ahead. Except at Man Utd, weirdly.

Saw nowt of the game but a draw isn't a terrible result. I can fully believe we should've won, like. Win at Palace and the form guide still looks terrific.

Opportunity missed but a predictable and solid enough result. Disappointing to hear about Cisse being as much use as a chocolate fireguard, again - guy's totally finished.

If you saw Remy's misses there's no way you'd be saying this.

Really? I've not said anything particularly contentious there have I? Opportunity missed but not a terrible result...? Like I say, I checked the score at HT and knew I'd be getting frustrated texts from my Dad for the duration of the next 45 mins. Part of me would prefer us to go in at the break level. 

It is a terrible result to have given up the lead to a team who only tried to spoil the game and who's goal came from our own mistake. Especially after Remy missed two of the easiest chances we'll get all season.

Objectively I might have taken a draw pre-game cos they've had some brilliant results. But I see what you're saying. I'll move on though coz I've got no real right commenting on the game itself!

For me, it was a classic case of a game of two halves.

Thought we were great in the first half with some great football here and there and we deserved to go into the break in the lead. Having said that, we really should have been at least 2-0 up at the half time whistle imho - we certainly had the chances to do so. The way the second half went was typical of us really - as ever, we just could not take the initiative and that allowed Southampton to get back into it (and once again, it happened at St. James'). Southampton's changes at half time gave them that extra bit of life and rejuvenated them I thought (it freed up Rodriguez to attack at us anyway) and Pardew's response to that was a bit lacking. As time went on, we did bring back our first half form but too little too late imo. All in all and on the balance of play, I'd say a draw is a fair result but I just can't help but feel that we dropped 2 points here - it was on us to take the game to Southampton after going ahead but we simply failed to do so (though Remy should have really scored when their keeper made that mistake, that would have probably been enough for us to see the game out...).

Not the worst result but f***ing frustrating to miss the chances we did and too often make the wrong decision.

The way we started the second half was a complete botch job too but that has long been established as standard practice.

Exactly my thoughts. Standard the way we start 2nd halfs and sit off teams. Probably won't see Remy miss chances like that the rest of the season and if you'd said 4 points from the last two games I'd have taken it. Winnable couple games on the horizon before a biggy against the Arse.

Frustrating but not that bad really

As soon as Southampton came out 2nd half we were desperate for a extra body in central midfield to get control of the ball, Pardew subs Ameobi for Cisse. That sub made no sense whatsoever. Pardew's reactions to oppositions who change things is so poor it's untrue. Something so many have said on here.

We see it coming, i even think the players do but Pardew never seems to, it really is quite bizarre how poor he is when it happens.

I said more or less the same thing in the Pardew thread without even seeing this post. We were 1-0 up at home against a weakened S'ton team and regardless of the result we should have been able to impose ourselves more in that second half.

It is weird we can do it at Old Trafford, yet bottle it against Southampton. I know Cabaye was missing but Pardew's attitude that we needed to keep the ball last week but not so much this (hence Krul going long a lot today), well i hate that. We should always want to keep the ball.

No, at Manu the onus was on them to play and us to stop them. We were the underdog, players know it and they went out there to prove themselves.

Today, we're favourites, we have to impose ourselves against a team of lesser players.

Unfortunately they had most of the ball, we had a couple of decent spells but we seemed to rely on mistakes or breaks to get good opportunities  at goal.

But at Old Trafford we played with 3 in the middle and controlled the ball, today he goes with Shola against a team many of us noted he wouldn't be suited to. Because Southampton keep it and Shola is passed around (think Swansea). Southampton are a possession side and we needed to put numbers in the middle to stop that happening, we didn't.

Tbf we played well first half (Shola didn't and was awful for the reasons i stated imo). With Southampton bringing on Lallana and tweaking their system we were crying out for that body, we didn't do it and paid the price giving them the initiative. Something we do time after time when ahead. Except at Man Utd, weirdly.

We started the second half with 5 midfielders but Sissoko was no help as he almost played as a second striker which was ridiculous as Remy was playing at LM at that point. I feel like we really missed Cabaye the most in the first 20 minutes of the second half. His pressing and ability to keep possession would have been important.

Should've won that one, missed some great chances, fluffed some really dangerous situations and made a daft mistake that cost us. How on earth the situation for their goal came about, I'll never know, that was just amateur. Wasn't really impressed by them, they were neat in possession but lacked cutting edge, well organised though.

Good to see us counterpressing in the first half, not really sure why we changed shape after scoring though. Tiresias made an excellent tactical point in the pre-match thread, we should've kept the 2 up top going until half time, at least.

Definitely feels like two points dropped to me.  We had the measure of them the first half and were very comfortable and then, as usual, we sat back in the second half and paid the price for it.  Their goal was soft as hell too, should've been mopped up well before it was in a dangerous area.

With the chances we created we should have won. Our players need to learn to convert more of their chances. Remy has gone off the boil. Has Cisse got an identical twin brother? I don't know what has happened to Cisse.

Southampton seemed to be a very dirty side. They consistently fouled our players. Any time we won the ball near the half way line they fouled us.

Good observations. Our goals still rely more on individual sparks of brilliance or defensive gaffes rather than well constructed team play.

Probably a fair result, I felt they played the better football for most of the match and our best moments including the goal came from their mistakes whereas they were very composed and created their own chances. Obviously Remy should have had at least one and probably two but we got what we deserved for coming out for the second half with no intention whatsoever to score another goal. We perhaps shaded the first half but didn't start playing again until they scored, they even gave us a chance when they hit the post and we didn't need the warning. Too negative once again.

And the ref was shit.

Those plastic bags on the pitch were doing my nut in. SOS-esque at times.

Why did Krul revert back to smacking it upfield again today? He's probably the worst kicker of a ball in the Premier League and it's so annoying to see.

Their manager said both teamscould have gone ahead in the first half they dominated us in the second !! LOL I didn't see that and the shot count of 16-8 in our favour doesn't reflect it either. Some managers must think fans as so fucking stupid, really.

Guest hatem garrincha

Good observations. Our goals still rely more on individual sparks of brilliance or defensive gaffes rather than well constructed team play.

Agree. I'm watching Hull vs Stoke and I really think Pardew belongs to Bruce and Hughes category of managers. He just got better players.

Why did Krul revert back to smacking it upfield again today? He's probably the worst kicker of a ball in the Premier League and it's so annoying to see.

Pardew tried to trap one in the second half and slipped on it and nearly went arse over tit.

Pardew tried to trap one in the second half and slipped on it and nearly went arse over tit.

Colo did a couple of keepy uppies with a plastic bag at one point :lol: