Newcastle United 5 - 1 Stoke City - 26/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 39

Rich

Not watching so I dunno how we're playing but after they took the lead I was going to make a post about how this is basically the first time in ages that things have conspired against us and how it would be interesting to see how we'd react to adversity.

Then there were two red cards, a penalty and an equaliser. :lol:

But anyway, how are we playing?

Stoke were deserving of your their lead, tbh. We were poor.

Not watching so I dunno how we're playing but after they took the lead I was going to make a post about how this is basically the first time in ages that things have conspired against us and how it would be interesting to see how we'd react to adversity.

T

We've been poor. Struggling to control the midfield and not getting enough bodies in the box when we are going forward. Fortunate that Stoke have royally fucked this up.

I hate Stoke, but they're mightily unlucky and we deserve to be one down really. No goal threat at all, even if we do win 7-1 or something I wouldn't read much into it.

Don't think anyone will read too much into a victory now, no matter the size. Stoke have absolutely nothing to lose.

Pretty shit imo. We're not getting enough players forward, we're passing it around alright from the back to the deep central midfielders then lumping it forward aimlessly/shooting wildly once we're close to the final 3rd. Sissoko having a mare isn't helping. Stoke looked the better side and more dangerous.

Ultimately we're set up like a Pardew side, i.e. we're effectively trying to counter attack the opposition at home.

T

We've been poor. Struggling to control the midfield and not getting enough bodies in the box when we are going forward. Fortunate that Stoke have royally fucked this up.

More like the ref, tbh.

I hate Stoke, but they're mightily unlucky and we deserve to be one down really. No goal threat at all, even if we do win 7-1 or something I wouldn't read much into it.

Don't think anyone will read too much into a victory now, no matter the size. Stoke have absolutely nothing to lose.

Well actually, they still have 1 point to lose!

Guest bimpy474

I thought we were awful tbh.

Abominable performance from us, Hatem is the only one who looks like he knows what's going on. Santon and Sissoko especially dreadful.

Wilson red was correct call, I think Whelan's first yellow was harsh, the second was spot on given the circumstances (ie having just been warned by Atkinson, he kicks out a bit at Cabaye). Neither sending off is incredulous.

I'm fucked off that Remy is taking that penalty. Ben Arfa scored a great one last week, so let's do the sensible thing and let him take it. Thought they would have learned from Cisse last year not to let an out of form striker take it so they can work their way back into the groove. At 3-0, do that all you like; when you're 0-1 after being played off the park it's unforgivable.

Blatant handball by Williamson in the run up to our goal which Atkinson didn't give; if i am a Stoke fan that's the decision that would rile me more than the two reds.

Stoke and, to a lesser extent Atkinson, have given us a massive get out of a jail card.

I initially thought the Whelan sending off was harsh BUT not now that I have seen it again

The first was a clear yellow and the second he had no chance or intention of getting the ball and tried to hurt Cabaye

Replays dont show the sound

Guest bimpy474

Have you actually watched us under pardew :lol:, we wouldn't score 7 against 5 men let alone 9 :lol:

Worst performance of the season IMO, Santon needs a spell on the bench, Sissoko must work on his decision making and the team overall has been inexplicably told to sit back and not do any pressing whatsoever, the amount of time they had on the ball in that half was nothing short of diabolical.

Both reds were deserved IMO, the Whelan was a touch harsh but both fouls were yellows. Simple as that.

Handball by Williamson should have been pulled up to be honest if I'm being completely unbiased, then a 3 player deflection for our leveller. our luck seemingly continues, maybe the mackems have a point  :lol:

Guest bimpy474

be amazed if we finish with a full quota.

Aye, you expect Pardew to be telling the lads that the ref will be looking to even things up, as they tend to do.

We weren't terrible but Stoke deserved their lead. It looked like a very typical Boxing Day performance - needlessly leggy whilst trying to adjust to a new formation with Remy, in particular, looking well off the pace. Sissoko's having a mare too - but he needs to be well away from the number 10 position, especially when Hatem is on the pitch. Absolutely ridiculous.

It'll be abysmal if we don't win this now.

Guest BenArfa10

What can you say about that half? We started the game decently enough, as did Stoke but I think the absence of Tiote has lead to us lacking belief to push forward to much, players are isolated. Sissoko was given all the responsibility of supplying Remy. Stoke were well on top just before and after their goal until Atkinson intervened. Hate to say it but we have been extremely poor and the referee has saved us with those two red cards. Thought AP had got it wrong going 4-3-3 and no Shola. Hopefully Hatem can take advantage of the space in the second half and tear them apart like he did for the equaliser. One point on Remy. For me he has lost something and maybe it could be that AP has stuck him down the middle. His best form was when he was a wide striker with Shola down the middle holding the ball up. I don't know why he took the penalty other than the fact that he won it. HBA literally just scored a pen last week, he should have had it and if not him then Cabaye. Anyway we've got away with one there and I'm looking forward to second half we should smash them with 9 men.