The Return of Terraces ("safe standing")?

Guest pricedoutoftoon

• 3 weeks later...

If people can’t be arsed, I’ll post the email I sent as a template. I’m no wordsmith but if it means that more people email in, then I couldn’t give a shit if people copy and paste.

Importantly include your name, address and phone number when contacting an MP as they will not consider it if you do not.

As a lifetime voter for you and labour for our local area, I’d like to get in touch with you about the subject above.

I, like many other football fans, long for a return of a great atmosphere in football grounds, much like our counter parts in Germany and other areas.

Obviously there is some controversy regarding standing at football matches since the Taylor report in the early 90s (after the Hillsbrough tragedy) however after the hearings last year, it seems that the fans have been exonerated and the blame lies solely with a chain of events.

Anyway, I digress. The debate for safe standing is one which rages on, however seems to be just dismissed outright by our current government. So much so that football fans across the country have amassed enough signatures for a debate in Parliament because of the passion in wanting standing back at football.

If you haven’t already heard about it’s positive effects, safety solution and what it means to fans, then look no further than Celtic who are trialling this.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/support-safe-standing/

I’m sure you’d agree that after reading the facts, it makes sense. Football isn’t what it was in the 70s/80s and grounds are much safer.

As a member of your constituency, I wish for you to speak on our behalf in a positive light for safe standing at football.

Sounds like this isn't going to happen anytime soon judging by the Government response.

The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales.

The Government thanks all the football supporters who made their views known through this petition.

The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales, while continuing to work closely with the Sports Grounds Safety Authority and football authorities to consider advances in technology and data that may enhance the existing policy.

A debate in Parliament on this issue has been tabled for 25 June, when the nuances and complexities of sports ground safety will be covered in more detail.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

Sounds like this isn't going to happen anytime soon judging by the Government response.

The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales.

The Government thanks all the football supporters who made their views known through this petition.

The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales, while continuing to work closely with the Sports Grounds Safety Authority and football authorities to consider advances in technology and data that may enhance the existing policy.

A debate in Parliament on this issue has been tabled for 25 June, when the nuances and complexities of sports ground safety will be covered in more detail.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

I just read the same email. What a joke, they've not even proof read the content.

Is it just the scousers opposed to this? Because just about everyone I've spoke to about it is either in favour / doesn't care.

It's now proven you can stand safely, so why isn't it happening? You don't have to stand if you don't want to but many do want to so let them get on with it.

Is it just the scousers opposed to this? Because just about everyone I've spoke to about it is either in favour / doesn't care.

It's now proven you can stand safely, so why isn't it happening? You don't have to stand if you don't want to but many do want to so let them get on with it.

Scousers aren’t even aposed to it. Spirit of Shankly conducted a poll which had 20k backing it.

The objection to standing makes no sense. How many gigs do people stand at week in week out?! That’s an environment where people are full of drink and there is very few consequences

The objection to standing makes no sense. How many gigs do people stand at week in week out?! That’s an environment where people are full of drink and there is very few consequences

All football fans are scum, everyone knows that.

• 5 weeks later...

Government now willing to look at this.

A government source told the BBC: "Safety of supporters is paramount. However we recognise that technology and stadium design has evolved since the all-seater policy was introduced and the time is right to look at the issue.

"The sports minister has not shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence and viewpoints are considered extremely carefully."

A government source told the BBC: "Safety of supporters is paramount. However we recognise that technology and stadium design has evolved since the all-seater policy was introduced and the time is right to look at the issue.

"The sports minister has not shut the door to fans keen on standing sections being introduced but it is important that all the evidence and viewpoints are considered extremely carefully."

I honestly don’t see what the problem is. It’s not like there is going to be no option for people to sit.  Take SJP for example. Probably a conversion of 10000 to Safe standing would suffice leaving 40000 left for those not wanting to. It’s a simple case. Safe standing is safer than standing where there are seats only. End of. Baffles me these things take so long :lol:

It’s like Glastonbury or standing gigs at Wembley & SJP don’t exist :lol:

A government source told the BBC: "*Safety of supporters is paramount. However we recognise that technology and stadium design has evolved since the all-seater policy was introduced and the time is right to look at the issue.

*= Control

A government source told the BBC: "*Safety of supporters is paramount. However we recognise that technology and stadium design has evolved since the all-seater policy was introduced and the time is right to look at the issue.

*= Control

*=Control of the working class plebs

Guest Howaythetoon

If there is a rail system in place and people have ample space between them, there should be no danger whatsoever, if anything seating is more dangerous. Fans are that accustomed to sitting/standing where they are allocated these days anyway I can’t see thousands of fans just congregating closely together to cause a crush or squeeze if that’s the concern. Standing is perfectly safe and was in the main for over a hundred years prior to Hillsborough when stadiums were less safe and fans were squeezed in like sardines. I have huge sympathy and respect for the Hillsborough campaign, but standing didn’t kill those fans, the policing of fans and how they reacted or didn’t when it got out of hand killed them. Creating pens and hoarding them in like they did was always going to lead to an issue eventually, I just can’t see such problems today.