The Return of Terraces ("safe standing")?

Guest pricedoutoftoon

I know this is a fairly pointless post, but I've never understood the need to bring back standing. Football grounds aren't quiet because of standing, it's because working class people and kids can't afford to go. I would much rather have a seat.

Well, I presume they'll make it cheaper to stand thus allowing more working class people to go

Edit: Wait, is there no drop in ticket prices then?

Nope. One standing space per seat space.

That's wrong actually:

Standing to seating ratios

The Green Guide also compares the amount of space required for seated and standing spectators respectively. As a guide for the lower leagues where standing areas are permitted, it specifies a ratio of 18 standing fans for every 10 spectators in seats. At many grounds in Germany the ratio is similar (2:1 at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim and VfB Stuttgart, for instance).

Working on the basis even of the current Green Guide ratio, stadium capacities could thus be increased as shown below by installing rail seats for standing spectators in areas currently used for seating.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302302034811/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued-2/40seatedfans.gif

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302302068382/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued-2/72standingfans.gif

As you can see in this pic, with seats folded up there's actually 2 rows to fit people, rather than 1:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302131739373/the-proposal/Hoffenheim1.jpg

Whole thing is explained well here:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal

I know this is a fairly pointless post, but I've never understood the need to bring back standing. Football grounds aren't quiet because of standing, it's because working class people and kids can't afford to go. I would much rather have a seat.

Well, I presume they'll make it cheaper to stand thus allowing more working class people to go

Edit: Wait, is there no drop in ticket prices then?

Nope. One standing space per seat space.

That's wrong actually:

Standing to seating ratios

The Green Guide also compares the amount of space required for seated and standing spectators respectively. As a guide for the lower leagues where standing areas are permitted, it specifies a ratio of 18 standing fans for every 10 spectators in seats. At many grounds in Germany the ratio is similar (2:1 at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim and VfB Stuttgart, for instance).

Working on the basis even of the current Green Guide ratio, stadium capacities could thus be increased as shown below by installing rail seats for standing spectators in areas currently used for seating.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302302034811/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued-2/40seatedfans.gif

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302302068382/the-proposal/the-proposal---continued-2/72standingfans.gif

As you can see in this pic, with seats folded up there's actually 2 rows to fit people, rather than 1:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/_/rsrc/1302131739373/the-proposal/Hoffenheim1.jpg

Whole thing is explained well here:

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-proposal

That's not what Celtic are installing was the point I was making. At least not according to their representative on SSN.

Ah right, fair enough. That said their website says they're implementing rail seating, which is what is explained above.

I guess Celtics trial isn't going for that (may be due to ground design or whatever). The council took a lot of convincing to give them the go ahead actually, so it sounds reasonable that they decided not to up the capacity. In general a key point is to fit more people in, mind.

Guest Roger Kint

Ah right, fair enough. That said their website says they're implementing rail seating, which is what is explained above.

I guess Celtics trial isn't going for that (may be due to ground design or whatever). The council took a lot of convincing to give them the go ahead actually, so it sounds reasonable that they decided not to up the capacity. In general a key point is to fit more people in, mind.

Celtics are going to be used for seating during CL/EL games. Only domestic ones will use the standing so cant increase numbers using it.

From my own point of view, in Ireland we have GAA games that have big standing terraces behind the goals and there is always a way better atmosphere in the terraces than in the stand

Yup, I always going for a terrace ticket if I can and the atmosphere is always better. The tickets are cheaper as well which I imagine is a factor. First choice at GAA match is always to stand.

• 1 year later...

That rail seating looks great to me.

Another advantage of fitting more people in the same space by letting them stand is that more fans can be closer to the pitch and you don't have to build as massive a stadium. While SJP being so central in the city is definitely something to be proud of, the stadium can dominate the skyline.

I think the SS is/will be in huge demand. Every club will have thousands who want to stand to watch/sing during the match. It's such a basic right, afterall.

The Strawberry Corner/Gallowgate would be fucking unbelievable to have that. Fingers crossed.

Was great being on a (very small) terrace at Burton last week when we scored.

Hopefully only a matter of time before safe standing starts to become a reality in England but still quite a few administrative hoops to go through.

Was great being on a (very small) terrace at Burton last week when we scored.

Hopefully only a matter of time before safe standing starts to become a reality in England but still quite a few administrative hoops to go through.

I had some wonderful times as a young guy when nearly ALL SJP was standing - as long as the areas are constructed properly and well stewarded, there is a lot more involvement in the game and you feel more a part of it. There is great excitement when a goal is scored as people jump around more and celebrate more enthusiastically. It CAN be dangerous...witness the Ibrox disaster in the early 70s but I was in SJP for the Fairs Cup final v Ujpest Dosza in May 69(Gallowgate End)and we must have moved six terraces down as the crowd swayed after the first goal by Moncur.Nevertheless, when you are young those things do not bother you and with 60,000 in the ground it was a great experience that will live with me forever.

I would back a return to properly-organized standing in certain areas of the ground.

• 6 months later...

I think they'd need government legislation change for that? They could trial the rail seats in league one or two though where standing is currently allowed

But allowing standing at a level where you can already stand could hardly be described as unprecedented. It's got to be something more than that, hence the reference to laws that have been around for many years.

I think they'd need government legislation change for that? They could trial the rail seats in league one or two though where standing is currently allowed

But allowing standing at a level where you can already stand could hardly be described as unprecedented. It's got to be something more than that, hence the reference to laws that have been around for many years.

It can be by secondary legislation by Order, so quite straightforward should the relative minister be willing to do so (i.e. the minister can do it and does not need to go to Parliament to do so).