The Return of Terraces ("safe standing")?

Guest pricedoutoftoon

Documentary in the works about safe standing, gives a good idea of how the rail-seat areas work:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sit-down-shut-up

Hillsborough group and scared governments say no.

At least the Lib Dems are taking a positive stance, counts for fuck all right now but it at least shows the message is getting through, really don't see why Labour wouldn't want to jump on board unless they're scared of pissing off scousers.

Survey on safe standing here if anyone's interested: http://goo.gl/forms/DIRfM6hsAM

How do the rail seats work as seats? When I'm sitting down do I not have a giant bar in my grill?

This is how the seat works:

As for the bars blocking view, people continue to stand in these areas when they're meant to be seated, the seats just come down to comply with the all seater rule.

Seats are only there in European games as far as I thought

I'm fairly sure that's right.

Insane that Safe Standing doesn't exist in this country yet.

The Away End at Burnley was fairly iffy place to be with everyone standing and barely enough room to move...that and everyone was stood where the seats where 'based' on a 6" ledge then a 1 foot drop. 

If safe standing was around no risk would be there.

• 6 months later...

I know this is a fairly pointless post, but I've never understood the need to bring back standing. Football grounds aren't quiet because of standing, it's because working class people and kids can't afford to go. I would much rather have a seat.

Guest Spark

I know this is a fairly pointless post, but I've never understood the need to bring back standing. Football grounds aren't quiet because of standing, it's because working class people and kids can't afford to go. I would much rather have a seat.

Well, some people would rather stand. And the atmosphere is much better in standing areas in my experience.

Guest Roger Kint

Until the PL get their heads out of their arses this changes nowt. Hopefully a successful season there leads to them changing that though

Until the PL get their heads out of their arses this changes nowt. Hopefully a successful season there leads to them changing that though

Cant charge as much for standing.

Guest Roger Kint

The PL wouldnt care about that as a reason to introduce it

Edit: Plus Celtic arent reducing prices for that section either

If you charge a tenner and can fit in 80% more people into the same area then you'll come out ahead based on drinks and food inside the stadium. That's not counting the benefit of having a full stadium roaring the team on.

It also makes the game much more affordable for the working class, which is what clubs should be striving for.

Fuck standing man, Id lie down if I could

If you charge a tenner and can fit in 80% more people into the same area then you'll come out ahead based on drinks and food inside the stadium. That's not counting the benefit of having a full stadium roaring the team on.

It also makes the game much more affordable for the working class, which is what clubs should be striving for.

Safe Standing Terracing wont in England.

Been waiting for something like this to happen for years. Great news, this is just the start but once it becomes common place in Scotland (which it will as far as I'm concerned) we'll eventually see the laws changed in England to allow similar changes.

Fwiw in Germany the standing areas are the cheapest. Atmosphere is just one small part - currently we have an issue where fans stand in front of their seats, forcing those who want to sit to stand for the full game. Not only that but standing in front of plastic seats just isn't anywhere as safe as the rail seating alternative - I'm sure plenty of people will have had their fair share of bumps and scrapes from celebrating goals at away games, it's carnage. The current system basically fucks over those who want to stand and those who want to sit. I believe it does create an atmosphere though, there's a reason our away fans stand at every game, and there's a reason why all the fanatical fans you see on the continent stand.

Just seen the demonstration of the Celtic safe standing and there will be no increase in capacity so probably explains no drop in ticket prices.

Well, I presume they'll make it cheaper to stand thus allowing more working class people to go

Edit: Wait, is there no drop in ticket prices then?

Well, I presume they'll make it cheaper to stand thus allowing more working class people to go

Edit: Wait, is there no drop in ticket prices then?

Nope. One standing space per seat space.

From my own point of view, in Ireland we have GAA games that have big standing terraces behind the goals and there is always a way better atmosphere in the terraces than in the stand