Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

So in the summer if we are to bring in a top right winger to upgrade on miggy do you think we'll maybe start using Murphy as a milner type to fill holes around injuries and suspensions a bit like a skeleton key of player? 

Murphy isn't a Milner type he can do right wing pretty well as it turned out and right back adequately but not great. If we signed a new star RW player and kept Miggy (may be cashed in for FFP I guess which would make me sad but may be time) I don't imagine there would be great need to keep Murphy. He would be more likely to be useful RB cover for if Trippier and Tino both were unavailable than to get another sniff at right wing. I imagine he will be sold if right offer comes in and if he ends up playing in defensive midfield I will jump in the Tyne shouting Rishi Sunak is an excellent prime minister

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

What’s the best team when everyone’s fit?

Presuming Bruno and Longstaff are 2 of the midfield 3, I have no idea who Howe would pick out of Joelinton/Willock and Barnes/Gordon to fill the left hand side 

52 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

What’s the best team when everyone’s fit?

Depends who we're playing. Something like this:

Pope

Trippier/Livramento rotation 

Schär 

Botman

Livramento/Burn rotation

Bruno

Longstaff/Miley rotation 

Joelinton/Willock rotation 

Almiron/Murphy rotation 

Isak/Wilson rotation or off the bench 

Gordon/Barnes/Willock/Joelinton/Isak rotation 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Pope

Trippier - Schär - Botman - Burn

Willock - Bruno - Joelinton

Almiron - Isak - Gordon

Not sure if that midfield three has ever played together in those positions, like, but those are the best three CMs in terms of talent.

The reality is we've got a cracking squad with options to play all sorts of ways, when two thirds of it isn't crocked. 

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Pope

Trippier - Schär - Botman - Burn

Willock - Bruno - Joelinton

Almiron - Isak - Gordon

Not sure if that midfield three has ever played together in those positions, like, but those are the best three CMs in terms of talent.

The reality is we've got a cracking squad with options to play all sorts of ways, when two thirds of it isn't crocked. 

Willock, Bruno and Joelinton played last season I think after many (including me) were clamouring for it. But it felt unbalanced and not as effective / defensively secure as when Longstaff is in

I completely agree it is our most talented midfield 3, which is why as I mentioned I'm keen to know how Howe will use the 4 of Joelinton/Willock/Barnes/Gordon 

Agree on your last point. We have 3 pretty good 11s which would have been perfect for rotating over these 4 competitions, such a shame 

That midfield trio in those positions was how we opened last season.

Think both Joes look much better in the LCM position. Willock in particular is much better there as a big part of his game is running at defenders and getting out left and cutting inside is obviously a more dangerous dribbling position for a right footed player.

Think not having Tino at LB over Burn is a bit mental, like. Tino offers us so much more on the ball and I think he's a better defender too. I know we're conceding more goals recently but that's a result of the rest of the team being completely fucked rather than a consequence of Burn being out IMO.

47 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Pope 

Tino.      Shar.         Botman.    Burn

Tonali(when back) Bruno.     Willock

Gordon.         Isak.         Joelinton 

Trippier out the team.... To fit Burn at LB over Tino? ?

We are so reliant on moving the ball out wide and don’t create enough through the middle. Another issue we have is none of our centre mids can shoot from 20 yards, so we hardly score outside the box when we’re playing against the low block.

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

We are so reliant on moving the ball out wide and don’t create enough through the middle. Another issue we have is none of our centre mids can shoot from 20 yards, so we hardly score outside the box when we’re playing against the low block.

Well Longstaff used to be able to until he turned to shit. ? 

Edited by andycap

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Our transfer window looking more questionable as the games progress. 

Major surgery needed in the summer imho. We are carrying far too many players. 

Livramento looks great but yeah. Even if Tonali and Barnes had been fit I think it's questionable how much they improve our first team if at all. Pretty galling when you look at the £90m on those two and compare it to how Spurs spent money 

After last season I think a centre half with pace and a right winger with quality should of been top of the list with a backup striker for our two cripples up top. Even harrison on loan would of been an upgrade on the migster. 

We suddenly seem 1 dimensional. Has the high press been sussed with the quick counter out wide targeting our poor full-back positions?

It feels like something has changed in the squad as well.  Is it confidence or has something happened behind the scenes?

We can’t score goals in open play. We can’t defend counters.   Will be interesting to see if Ed changes (or can change) his tactics in the next few games. Form would suggest if he doesn’t we’re in for a torrid time. 

What would you like the team to look like at the beginning of next season? 

New keeper.

Tino.      NewCB.    Botman.    NewLB

Tonali.       NewCDM

Gordon.            Bruno.          Willock

Isak

Pope

Tino.    Newcb.  Botman     hall

Bruno.   Phillips.   Tonali

New rw.       Isak.           Flash

Backups

Newgk

Tripps