Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Hi there. I just follow Newcastle United in recent years, so please correct me if I'm wrong

so, there's a bit of confusion to me when reading newspaper from last year. I remember Newcastle center back pairing then is Schar - Burn, then they sign Botman, and there's much news about finding right sided center back because both botman and burn are left-footed, which confuse me 

As far as I am aware, for years, Newcastle has right footed center back pairing in Schar-Lascaelles-Ciaran Clark, and seems nobody asking who's the left sided center backs

I myself, followed Leicester City And Manchester United for some years, and they do have both right footed center back pairing. There's no news nor commotion about Left sided center backs. All those right footed center back just filling the left center back slots without much fuss (Johnny Evans, Harry Maguire, Eric Baily, Victor Lindelof, etc)

So my question is, what's so wrong about left-footed player filling right center back slots, while right footed player can just fill left center back slots without much fuss?

And even Last year, when Schar is unavailable, Newcastle are so reluctant to put either Burn or Botman who's I felt, is clearly better than Jamal Lascaelles.

I'm left-footed and played CB (badly) but would always play LCB and found it more comfortable. I felt alien if I had to play RCB. 

There are more right footed players in the world and more right footed centre-backs, so right-footers will play LCB quite often in those cases.

Very rare you see two lefties at CB together, and naturally in central defence they'll spend nearly the whole time playing LCB.

Just me two pennies worth. :)

So on the assumption that Hall is coming in and that no-one else leaves, we're looking at this in terms of depth:

Goalkeeper:

Pope

Dubravka

Karius

Right-back:

Trippier

Livramento

Manquillo

Krafth

Centre-Back

Botman

Schar

Burn

Lascelles

Murphy

Dummett

Left-Back

Hall

Targett

Burn

Trippier

Livramento

Centre-Mid

Bruno

Tonali

Joelinton

Longstaff

Willock

Anderson

Miley

Right Wing

Barnes

Gordon

Isak

Anderson

Murphy

Left Wing

Almiron

Murphy

Gordon

Ritchie

Striker

Isak

Wilson

Gordon

Still a few places we could do with strengthening our depth, but that as is, is a really complete squad imo.

With the addition of Hall it looks like we can register and fit everyone we currently have into the PL squad, blacklisted trio of Hendrick/Fraser/Hayden aside. I think CL Livramento/Hall/Murphy don't qualify for the u21 bracket as they need to be at the club more than 2 consecutive seasons so we will have to get a bit more creative, likely dropping at least one if not two keepers and maybe Ritchie out of the CL squad. We can emergency call GK up if they have long term injuries. 

We certainly still have room to sign a CB and RW if we wanted, keeping two of Gillespie/Dummett/Ritchie out or moving Manquillo on.

The likelihood is for CL we will not end up naming a full 25 squad due to not having 4 club trained players

Any idea what the PL squad looks like, is there space for another signing? Or are we maxed out unless we ditch someone?

Guess the luxury of Livramento (for tbis season) and Hall (for 3 more seasons) is they don't take up a PL squad space 

13 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

The likelihood is for CL we will not end up naming a full 25 squad due to not having 4 club trained players

Any idea what the PL squad looks like, is there space for another signing? Or are we maxed out unless we ditch someone?

Guess the luxury of Livramento (for tbis season) and Hall (for 3 more seasons) is they don't take up a PL squad space 

Miley, Anderson, Longstaff and either Dummett or the keeper.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Miley, Anderson, Longstaff and either Dummett or the keeper.

I assume Miley would be named in List B anyway, maybe same for Anderson 

Though, I guess it makes no difference if we name them in List A, just means there will be players in the PL squad that won't make the CL squad 

Anyone maybe seeing why some people really wanted the Maddison thing to happen?

Big concern for the rest of the season is that once Liverpool basically decided to sit back and invite us to break them down we were pretty clueless.

A Liverpool team who were without one starting CB and had the other sent off, no less. And who are generally not thought as being very good defensively, anyway.

It's the big concern I have with the team we've built. There's a real lack of quality final ball in our team and I do worry we're in for a few frustrating afternoons. Our group of wingers are all high energy and direct but is there much in the way of craft there? Joelinton and Willock both offer a lot as LCMs but neither of them are who you want getting on the ball in the final third and trying to unpick a well organised deep defense.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Anyone maybe seeing why some people really wanted the Maddison thing to happen?

Big concern for the rest of the season is that once Liverpool basically decided to sit back and invite us to break them down we were pretty clueless.

A Liverpool team who were without one starting CB and had the other sent off, no less. And who are generally not thought as being very good defensively, anyway.

It's the big concern I have with the team we've built. There's a real lack of quality final ball in our team and I do worry we're in for a few frustrating afternoons. Our group of wingers are all high energy and direct but is there much in the way of craft there? Joelinton and Willock both offer a lot as LCMs but neither of them are who you want getting on the ball in the final third and trying to unpick a well organised deep defense.

It’s essentially a very athletic team with a lack of guile. It’s a problem for sure. 

53 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I've calmed down a bit after the initial gut punch.

If Almiron buries any of his chances or Barnes sends Wilson through, we probably aren't having this discussion, but here we are.

The second half was very odd, we looked caught in two minds between protecting the lead and killing the game, but ended up doing neither.

Liverpool managed the game expertly with ten, but we gave them far too much respect. Both Nunez finishes were superb, but came from individual errors from first Botman, then Burn, completely switching off.

Overall very frustrating. We've thrown away three points against ten men, after having ample chances to kill it off. Of all the teams to end up being are bogey team did it have to be them...

On a more positive note, Trippier, Bruno, Tonali and Gordon very good, the latter looked cooked when he came off.

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

Just a thought; do we need more players who are experienced winners, who have been there and won leagues and cups? We have Trippier, Tonali…and then?

Good points but today was purely down to Howe messing it up.

8 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

It’s essentially a very athletic team with a lack of guile. It’s a problem for sure. 

Not so sure about that. I'm not an xG tells the whole story person but by many stats we were a creative side last year. High xg, loads of big chances created, most hits of the woodwork. We felt more profligate than anything.

Perhaps we're not classically creative though.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Not so sure about that. I'm not an xG tells the whole story person but by many stats we were a creative side last year. High xg, loads of big chances created, most hits of the woodwork. We felt more profligate than anything.

Perhaps we're not classically creative though.

We were a surprise package last season though, and Bruno’s weird drop off might explain some issues, but the major difference will be teams will play against us differently.

We also had ASM, of course debatable for some people, but he is able to break defensive minded teams, and purely having him on the pitch can open up space as teams double him up. 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's just the standard patter after a loss though. 7 losses in 41 since the start of last season and now we need to bin the formation, sell Bruno and sack the transfer committee.

I get what you’re saying but it wasn’t just this game for me, it was the City game as well. Yes, I expected a loss but I also expected to give them a game and create more.

I’m not worried, think we can repeat what we did last season. If we do we have done very well.

Just now, Collage said:

I get what you’re saying but it wasn’t just this game for me, it was the City game as well. Yes, I expected a loss but I also expected to give them a game and create more.

I’m not worried, think we can repeat what we did last season. If we do we have done very well.

Defensively and off the ball, City were excellent. They're the best team on the planet.

Today was just poor game management from the lads.

Too soon to be calling for wholesale changed to a strategy that's had us punching well above our weight this far.