Match tickets

Crumpy Gunt

So were 4,000 down after another year of s****, amazing really.

One of the reason why there is no way Ashley would consider selling currently and why the club will never change for years - only thing that may make it happen is relegation as then the crowds would drop massively and he would lost millions off the tv money also.

4,000 fans is a significant number imo.

It is and it's probably more in actual season ticket sales ut still not enough for Fat Boy Mike to break sweat - relegation however will see crowds drop massively and the Fat Man to possibly go.

Sounds like some people are hoping for relegation. :idiot2:

If it was guaranteed to get rid of Ashley and be better for the club long term then yes - in 45 year of supporting the club (44 as a season ticket holder) Ive never know such crass mismanagement and that is saying something for someone who experienced the Gordon McKeag years - at least he had an excuse he wasn't a multi billionaire. If you wasn't to except years and years of staying off relegation you go for it - it's not going to get any better under Ashley that's for sure.

Agreed. Probably equates to around £2.5m a season which is a decent chunk of money. He'll have Sports Direct stores that barely turn over that amount in a year. Thought it would have dropped off more than that tbh. Anyone in any doubt about how many season ticket holders have chucked it just need to look at the stadium plan for the Norwich game which only looks around 50-55% occupied at the minute so clearly a lot of ex season ticket holders are still turning up but just paying match by match.

Agreed. Probably equates to around £2.5m a season which is a decent chunk of money. He'll have Sports Direct stores that barely turn over that amount in a year. Thought it would have dropped off more than that tbh. Anyone in any doubt about how many season ticket holders have chucked it just need to look at the stadium plan for the Norwich game which only looks around 50-55% occupied at the minute so clearly a lot of ex season ticket holders are still turning up but just paying match by match.

Yep. Wait till winter comes. That and the first Derby defeat :lol:

It's only negatives, holding a season ticket at the moment. No or very little cost saving, no choice about which games to go to, no clamour for tickets that you need to consider.

add that to the fact that they have fucked up my direct debit 3 months on the spin, ive sent them 2 new mandates for my new account, they keep taking it from the old one. I was told before I went on holiday 'pay this month on a card and then new dd will be set up'. I did, I then cancelled the dd from old account as i'd sent them new info for new one and was told it would be sorted.

got an email saying because ive cancelled dd theyve cancelled my ST. Fucking total morons.

the wench in the box office was a total idiot as well, so rude.

so, fuck them. I was a mug to take it back up anyway.

Basra, the corner shop where I used to live, was run by an elderly couple.

The bloke was dead canny, he liked a bet and used to have a chat on.  He had a toothy grin and an ebullient laugh.

I’m not sure the old dear was all there though, she would never engage in conversation at all, she was a hunched crone who tersely spat a price as her only form of communication.  What made me wonder about her having her marbles or not was the fact that the prices she shot at me were never the same.

One day 4 cans of Stella could be £4.80, the next day £5.20, the next day £5.  She seemed to make it up as she went along.  I never challenged her on it.  I wasn’t bothered about the coppers she added to a bottle of milk or whatever and I wouldn’t want to embarrass anyone, especially a pensioner, over such inconsequential sums.

With the latest round of ticket prices announced by Newcastle United, I’ve had to rethink my opinion of that old crone though.  Rather than a confused sexagenarian I realise she was more a retail genius on a par with multi-billionaire Mike Ashley.

Since I last wrote about ticket pricing at Newcastle United two more sets of tickets have gone on sale, and the lady from Basra’s would be proud.

First, Norwich.  Initially this looked like the same pricing structure as the Southampton game.  Member tickets went on sale with adult prices in the Gallowgate, Leazes, East Stand and Family Enclosure matching exactly.  Junior prices largely matched in those areas too, but not in the Gallowgate/Leazes, where kids were offered £5 tickets compared to £12 for Southampton.

Then public tickets went on sale and it got really complex.  Public prices didn’t match any sold to kids in the Gallowgate/Leazes previously.  Member or public, it’s £5 for a kid to sit in the Gallowgate/Leazes ends.  For Southampton, those tickets were sold at £12 (member) and £13 (non-member).  This ensured that against Southampton members got the minimum 5% discount promised in the membership terms. As has happened many times before, this promise to members has been completely ignored for the Norwich game apparently.

It’s a similar story for adults in the family enclosure, whether a member or not, tickets are £15, disregarding the promised benefit of being a member.  This is different to the Southampton game where members paid £15, saving £2 on non-members tickets which were £17.

Senior Citizens are the only people to get value from a membership in all areas of the stadium for the Norwich game.  Pensioners without a members card DO have to pay the extra £2 in the Family enclosure.

Stoke came next, on sale to members only right now, but once again in a whole new pricing category of it’s own.  £28, £33 or £19 for adults in the Gallowgate/Leazes, East Stand and Family enclosure respectively.  Other categories follow suit with prices not seen previously.

In the six games on sale so far this season a child buying the same seat in the Gallowgate/Leazes would have paid ticket prices  of £5, £12, £13, £14, £17 and £18. Not one ticket costing the same as another. For adults, buying the same seat 6 times would have cost 5 different prices, whether in the Leazes end, the Gallowgate end, the East Stand or the Family enclosure.

I continue to ask the club about this price fluctuation without any response or commitment to publish match categorisation criteria.

Unfortunately, it’s too late for me to ask the lady from the corner shop about her price fluctuation.  The shop closed a few months ago.  I think people preferred the Mace around the corner where they didn’t leave the shop feeling unsure if someone had just picked their pocket.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/10/latest-newcastle-united-ticket-prices-are-even-more-difficult-to-understand/#sthash.rIkOOAhA.dpuf

I've fleshed out the point in green with a lot of filler, but if anything ticket pricing has got worse at Newcastle, which I never thought possible.

Cheers

I just asked Mark Douglas about it on Twitter as he was soliciting questions for his podcast.

I've also been on DM with Taylor Payne who has said it will be his first question at the next fans forum.

O0 good stuff.

But it's a load of bollocks though isn't it? Not that I would usually be one to the defend the club, is pricing on a game by game basis really that big a deal rather than having published bands (e.g. Cat A, B, C etc.)?

You complain that kids only have to pay £5 against Norwich but it was £12 against Southampton and £15 against Stoke, not really sure what the big deal is here. Stoke being a little more than Southampton does appear a little odd, but not much more than that. Surely it is a good thing that they have reduced them down to £5 for the Norwich game?

The other thing you keep hammering is this 30% discount, but again this is nonsense. NUFC membership is a rip off I agree, but it only entitles you to a 5% discount on home match tickets and no booking fee.

The current administration do most things badly, ticket pricing is one area where thing really aren't that bad, you just don't like the fact they don't publish the categories within a fixed pricing structure and decide on a game by game basis (probably based on a number of factors).

Plenty of much worse things going on at the club that need to be highlighted and the club challenged about.

Sounds like some people are hoping for relegation. :idiot2:

If it was guaranteed to get rid of Ashley and be better for the club long term then yes - in 45 year of supporting the club (44 as a season ticket holder) Ive never know such crass mismanagement and that is saying something for someone who experienced the Gordon McKeag years - at least he had an excuse he wasn't a multi billionaire. If you wasn't to except years and years of staying off relegation you go for it - it's not going to get any better under Ashley that's for sure.

Agree that if relegation pushed Cashley to sell up i would take it in a heartbeat just to see the bastard suffer ,hard to say that but is it such a bad thing when we have abject each week as it is a zero interest in competing in any shape or form

• 2 weeks later...

But it's a load of bollocks though isn't it? Not that I would usually be one to the defend the club, is pricing on a game by game basis really that big a deal rather than having published bands (e.g. Cat A, B, C etc.)?

You complain that kids only have to pay £5 against Norwich but it was £12 against Southampton and £15 against Stoke, not really sure what the big deal is here. Stoke being a little more than Southampton does appear a little odd, but not much more than that. Surely it is a good thing that they have reduced them down to £5 for the Norwich game?

The other thing you keep hammering is this 30% discount, but again this is nonsense. NUFC membership is a rip off I agree, but it only entitles you to a 5% discount on home match tickets and no booking fee.

The current administration do most things badly, ticket pricing is one area where thing really aren't that bad, you just don't like the fact they don't publish the categories within a fixed pricing structure and decide on a game by game basis (probably based on a number of factors).

Plenty of much worse things going on at the club that need to be highlighted and the club challenged about.

30% discount? I know membership is supposed to guarantee 5% off. But it doesn't do that. That's the problem there.

Plenty of worse things are highlighted regularly. My ticket pricing complaints don't preclude any other criticism.  Very few highlight the ticket issue because the club make it so complex that few bother to check if it's reasonable, which it isn't.

Cheaper tickets are good, but every game has had a completely different price for kids. Five out of 6 for adults.  People have no clue what a game will cost them until tickets go on sale.

People have no idea that their season tickets cost more than these single tickets.

People have no idea that season ticket prices have reduced since the price freeze 3 years ago, so some are paying more for their long term commitment.

It's a twattish way for a club to treat their fans.

• 2 months later...

So is the payment I made this month the last for this season? ie can I cancel me DD now for next season

Think you've got to make a payment in February. I cancelled my DD last January and they emailed me to say my final payment was February so I ended up having to pay the final month with my debit card. Can't believe I did it looking back. I hardly bothered using my ST from Feb-May last season anyway so it wouldn't have really mattered had they blocked it. In saying that though it was probably worth it for the Jonas West Ham match at the end.

100% the final payment for this season will be taken in February but, notice to cancel for next season must be given (in writing) before the end of January.

Having said that they will have no argument to anyone canceling after that date.  If you want to continue attending matches for the rest of this season you have to pay February's payment...

• 3 months later...