The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

What annoys me about Barca is their instance upon one style and refusing to have any kind of plan B. Really grates on me that they won't just change it up when the situation dictates.

That's what I like about them, purity of purpose and belief in their approach. It's brilliant IMO.

What annoys me about Barca is their instance upon one style and refusing to have any kind of plan B. Really grates on me that they won't just change it up when the situation dictates.

That's what I like about them, purity of purpose and belief in their approach. It's brilliant IMO.

Well by Jove - there's a first for everything!

City s*** scared. A lot of teams play Barcelona already defeated and City were one of them. Stood off too much, showed too much respect, too slow on the counter.

Even Valencia who beat Barcelona at the Nou Camp looked like they were going through the motions for 40 minutes to a defeat.

:thup:

City s*** scared. A lot of teams play Barcelona already defeated and City were one of them. Stood off too much, showed too much respect, too slow on the counter.

Even Valencia who beat Barcelona at the Nou Camp looked like they were going through the motions for 40 minutes to a defeat.

:thup:

:thup: :thup:

The thing that bugs me is when people say that barca is one dimensional and boring, maybe one dimensional but absolutely not boring, I think people just get frustrated having to watch barca have the ball for like 2 minutes and pass it 50 times instead of having a shot.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

If you want to play a counterattacking game against Barcelona you need two world class wingers or wingforwards who can break at pace and relieve the pressure. Too bad City have only Navas although they did dismantle Arsenal and Spurs using the same tactics and a similar team.

Guest bimpy474

If you want to play a counterattacking game against Barcelona you need two world class wingers or wingforwards who can break at pace and relieve the pressure. Too bad City have only Navas although they did dismantle Arsenal and Spurs using the same tactics and a similar team.

Alright Grandpa :lol:

The thing that bugs me is when people say that barca is one dimensional and boring, maybe one dimensional but absolutely not boring, I think people just get frustrated having to watch barca have the ball for like 2 minutes and pass it 50 times instead of having a shot.

And it is boring watching teams passing the ball sideways for two minutes, or at least it is to some people including myself. I wasn't bored at any stage tonight but have been very bored watching Barca play in the past.

The opposite for me, they're not one-dimensional but definitely boring.

In what way is that not boring? Sorry but I don't get excited for a 10 yard sideways pass across the midfield. Obviously passing is the most vital element of Football but to me if you pass, pass, pass then it just allows the opposition to get men behind the ball.

Old Barca in vintage tiki taka mode would be able to break this down and demolish even the best teams 3,4,5-0. Nowadays though I just don't see the same tempo, invention or ambition in their passing and on occasion yes, it can be boring.

Alright Grandpa :lol:

off to Twickers at the weekend?....

:kasper: I agree with Ian, praise the lord!

I could watch Barca all day tbh. Just the very fact they're good enough to keep possession of the ball for prolonged periods because of their technique and passing ability is startling. The fact they're patient enough to do so whilst moving the defence around looking for an opening is admirable and is the way the game should be played in my humble opinion.

Fair play if people find it dull and insipid but I think it's the pinnacle of controlling the tempo and flow of a game using innate skill, movement and ability. Each to their own.

it can be very dull and when Spain use the same approach it often is, the difference maker is Messi who can be worth watching by himself.

meanwhile

Paul Hayward ‏@_PaulHayward  3m

Pellegrini says: "It was not a good idea to put a referee from Sweden in charge of such an important game." D'Oh!

I could watch Barca all day tbh. Just the very fact they're good enough to keep possession of the ball for prolonged periods because of their technique and passing ability is startling. The fact they're patient enough to do so whilst moving the defence around looking for an opening is admirable and is the way the game should be played in my humble opinion.

Fair play if people find it dull and insipid but I think it's the pinnacle of controlling the tempo and flow of a game using innate skill, movement and ability. Each to their own.

:thup: Your last paragraph sums it up. Nobody can say without doubt that it is or isn't boring because only you yourself can decide whether you are bored by it or not

it can be very dull and when Spain use the same approach it often is, the difference maker is Messi who can be worth watching by himself.

meanwhile

Pellegrini says: "It was not a good idea to put a referee from Sweden in charge of such an important game." D'Oh!

Before the game Barcelona were supposed to be unhappy that the ref was from Sweden as he would be more sympathetic to the English game!

meanwhile

Before the game Barcelona were supposed to be unhappy that the ref was from Sweden as he would be more sympathetic to the English game!

Every year there's a problem with the selection of the referee in the latter stages of the Champions League. Every club just about is guilty of it, it's pathetic.