The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

Pellegrini. :facepalm:

The ref didn't have the best game but what's that got to do with his nationality? Second time in few hours I'm defending our lovely neighbours despite the ongoing slaughtering at the Olympics.  :huff:

it can be very dull and when Spain use the same approach it often is, the difference maker is Messi who can be worth watching by himself.

meanwhile

Paul Hayward ‏@_PaulHayward  3m

Pellegrini says: "It was not a good idea to put a referee from Sweden in charge of such an important game." D'Oh!

Particularly one that hasn't won the Male Swedish Athlete of the year award.

it can be very dull and when Spain use the same approach it often is, the difference maker is Messi who can be worth watching by himself.

meanwhile

Paul Hayward ‏@_PaulHayward  3m

Pellegrini says: "It was not a good idea to put a referee from Sweden in charge of such an important game." D'Oh!

:lol: Pellegrini shit on an entire nation to get one guy.

What annoys me about Barca is their instance upon one style and refusing to have any kind of plan B. Really grates on me that they won't just change it up when the situation dictates.

That's what I like about them, purity of purpose and belief in their approach. It's brilliant IMO.

:kasper: I agree with Ian, praise the lord!

OMG. Have your read Henry V? This is like that, everyone will always remember where they were.

What annoys me about Barca is their instance upon one style and refusing to have any kind of plan B. Really grates on me that they won't just change it up when the situation dictates.

That's what I like about them, purity of purpose and belief in their approach. It's brilliant IMO.

:kasper: I agree with Ian, praise the lord!

OMG. Have your read Henry V? This is like that, everyone will always remember where they were.

:lol: Makes a nice change.

Even if the game had a ref from one of the top leagues there's no guarantee he would have got it right.

At the time at full speed it did look like a penalty and a very difficult decision to get right.

That's without mentioning the fact Barca had a legitimate goal ruled out which was easier to call than the penalty was as well as an hand ball in the first half.

Pellegrini is basically doing a Mourinho.

I could watch Barca all day tbh. Just the very fact they're good enough to keep possession of the ball for prolonged periods because of their technique and passing ability is startling. The fact they're patient enough to do so whilst moving the defence around looking for an opening is admirable and is the way the game should be played in my humble opinion.

Fair play if people find it dull and insipid but I think it's the pinnacle of controlling the tempo and flow of a game using innate skill, movement and ability. Each to their own.

Nail on head for me. :thup:

The referees should come from the foremost 4 or 5 European leagues. Nationality per se is irrelevant but pick someone experienced in dealing with something like the pace, standard and intricacy of a top end CL tie.

Ronaldo seriously man, take a break. Best ref couple years ago was form Uzbekistan ffs. Webb who is supposed to be the best from the fastest league in the world makes continuous mistakes on the international level. I think a good ref is a good ref no matter where he comes from. Belgium, Uzbekistan, Portugal have all produced good refs over the last couple of seasons and none have been in an extraordinary league. Jonas Eriksson isn't a bad ref, and I don't see how anyone can blame him for anything yesterday. Sure it looked outside the box, but 99% of the world's top referees would give a red card and I bet half would give a penalty.

The frustrating thing I find with Barca is they don't always take advantage of turnovers by hitting teams with a fast break. They're more inclined to keep possession and then move forward slowly and patiently as a team, as though they were building an attack from any other situation.

So yes, that lack of variety can be dull to watch. It's those moments where they play those quick interchanges of passes around the area that you wait for.

The referees should come from the foremost 4 or 5 European leagues. Nationality per se is irrelevant but pick someone experienced in dealing with something like the pace, standard and intricacy of a top end CL tie.

Ronaldo seriously man, take a break. Best ref couple years ago was form Uzbekistan ffs. Webb who is supposed to be the best from the fastest league in the world makes continuous mistakes on the international level. I think a good ref is a good ref no matter where he comes from. Belgium, Uzbekistan, Portugal have all produced good refs over the last couple of seasons and none have been in an extraordinary league. Jonas Eriksson isn't a bad ref, and I don't see how anyone can blame him for anything yesterday. Sure it looked outside the box, but 99% of the world's top referees would give a red card and I bet half would give a penalty.

I'm convinced that the correct punishment for the foul in the goalscoring position, regardless of whether it's inside the area, should be a penalty and a yellow. That would cut this sort of controversy out, and be a much fairer punishment all round.

I'm convinced that the correct punishment for the foul in the goalscoring position, regardless of whether it's inside the area, should be a penalty and a yellow. That would cut this sort of controversy out, and be a much fairer punishment all round.

I don't disagree, but at the end of the day that's still a red card in today's football until something is done about it.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I don't enjoy watching Barca. Not so much for how they play, but for how the opposition always plays against them.

Pretty much this. Watching the highlights from a Barca game is usually great, but watching a game for 90 minutes when the opposing team always just parks the bus and Barca patiently passing it around isn't very appealing to me.

Yeah sames. The high points of the game are pretty epic like, as they're capable of producing pieces of play that no other side in the world is capable of, but the vast majority of the match is boring to watch imo. I turned the game off at half time yesterday.

They're no more boring than 90% of other games mind, I just don't find them to be a must watch whenever they're on the tele.

Why did you quote my post? I've not even seen the incident and I don't give a damn. I'm simply saying the idea of referees recruited for such games from tinpot leagues doesn't sit right with me.

Why did you quote my post? I've not even seen the incident and I don't give a damn. I'm simply saying the idea of referees recruited for such games from tinpot leagues doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, and I answered that your idea is ridiculous. You're basically saying you'd rather have Webb refereeing those games or spanish referees (who are as bad as the PL refs) instead of top referees like the one from Turkey, Portugal or Hungary?

Yeah, and I answered that your idea is ridiculous. You're basically saying you'd rather have Webb refereeing those games or spanish referees (who are as bad as the PL refs) instead of top referees like the one from Turkey, Portugal or Hungary?

Heard it all now. :lol: