The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

I know Uruguay got to the semis last time out but I think they rely massively on individual brilliance up front. The rest of their team is average, by decent WC standards.

Not sure I agree while their midfield is definitely very average, if not below average. They still have decent players defensively even by WC standards. Godin, Maxi Pereira and Caceres are all good players while Lugano is Lugano and the soul of that defense. Muslera isn't the worst goalkeeper around either. I think their midfield is a big problem, and I hope Tabarez for their sake starts Lodeiro who is a good player. Starting Gargano, Arevalo and Perez is murder. Three terribly limited footballers. I do think they'll play a 4-2-3-1 type of play with Cavani or Suarez playing on the right with Forlan behind. But we'll see.

I should have specifically highlighted their midfield, which was what I was getting at. A lack of sharpness and creativity IMO. I realise we're not much either obviously but for me they're nowt to be feared. We have a better midfield and should be looking to dictate the game. Not that I think we actually will, of course.

Think Lugano is a liability, mind.

I should have specifically highlighted their midfield, which was what I was getting at. A lack of sharpness and creativity IMO. I realise we're not much either obviously but for me they're nowt to be feared. We have a better midfield and should be looking to dictate the game. Not that I think we actually will, of course.

:thup: Their midfield is really really average. No creativity whatsoever.

Felip, I take it you want England to win the WC if Brazil don't?

TBH I wouldn't mind. Brazil comes first for obvious reasons, then I'd 'love' to see any SA teams, even Argentina IF Brazil fails miserably (the effect it would have on Brazil as a country would be huge, political unrest would be even bigger). After that I wouldn't mind someone like England tbh. As long as Spain, Italy, France or Netherlands don't win it I'm pretty happy tbh.

Same cloggers got them to semis last time. But as you said, they need individual brilliance to score the necessary goals while their defense is probably solid.

This showed in their inability to score more than once against Northern Ireland's second string last night.

Nah, we'll manage six points and a loss to Italy. Italy will go through top of the group two wins and draw. None of which will be convincing. Then they'll start playing in the knockout stages.

I'm willing to put Lucas is the best in my sig if England beats Uruguay as long as you put I-Know-Nothing in your sig if they don't. I think Uruguay will walk away with that group is Suarez is fit.

I'm not all that convinced by Uruguay, sure Suarez is brilliant and Cavani is fairly good but the rest of the side isn't great. For me that group is by far the hardest to call.

I can see absolutely no justification to the belief that Uruguay will "walk away" with our group. Each to their own.

For me it's Suarez. He's a player that can win games on his own, World Cup is the biggest stage and he'll love it if he's fit. Add Cavani who needs to redeem himself after an average spring. Uruguay has had the tendency to f*** up in qualifiers, but their team is just that good when it matters that I think anything other than quarter-finals will be a failure. I think they have a stronger starting XI than England tbh. Their squad isn't and they're very dependant on Suarez, but he'll show up if he's fit.

How much will the conditions play into Uruguay's favour? Or is it a minor point?

I think they'll have a huge advantage, loads travelling to their games as well as the home fans and neutral being on their side. In terms of weather they'll have an advantage over Italy but that is all. Sao Paulo weather will suit England well.

I know saying they'll walk away is a exaggerated, but I do consider them strong favourites to win the group.

How much will the conditions play into Uruguay's favour? Or is it a minor point?

I think they'll have a huge advantage, loads travelling to their games as well as the home fans and neutral being on their side. In terms of weather they'll have an advantage over Italy but that is all. Sao Paulo weather will suit England well.

I know saying they'll walk away is a exaggerated, but I do consider them strong favourites to win the group.

Will the Brazilian fans really support Uruguay? I thought they weren't the best of pals. I'd have thought the neutrals would be behind Costa Rica, if anybody.

Nah, we'll manage six points and a loss to Italy. Italy will go through top of the group two wins and draw. None of which will be convincing. Then they'll start playing in the knockout stages.

I'm willing to put Lucas is the best in my sig if England beats Uruguay as long as you put I-Know-Nothing in your sig if they don't. I think Uruguay will walk away with that group is Suarez is fit.

I'm not all that convinced by Uruguay, sure Suarez is brilliant and Cavani is fairly good but the rest of the side isn't great. For me that group is by far the hardest to call.

Bit of an understatement.

Will the Brazilian fans really support Uruguay? I thought they weren't the best of pals. I'd have thought the neutrals would be behind Costa Rica, if anybody.

In SA we support each other. As for Costa Rica support might be theor way but I meant in the important games between uruguay and the two european sides

I can see absolutely no justification to the belief that Uruguay will "walk away" with our group. Each to their own.

For me it's Suarez. He's a player that can win games on his own, World Cup is the biggest stage and he'll love it if he's fit. Add Cavani who needs to redeem himself after an average spring. Uruguay has had the tendency to f*** up in qualifiers, but their team is just that good when it matters that I think anything other than quarter-finals will be a failure. I think they have a stronger starting XI than England tbh. Their squad isn't and they're very dependant on Suarez, but he'll show up if he's fit.

Nah he can't, until Liverpool bought Sturridge and Coutinho etc etc he couldn't get them into the top 6. He's not a one man band as great as player as he is, most of Uruguay's players have dropped several levels since they won the Copa America which isn't surprising as they all approaching 30 or beyond it.

They are quite an average team on the whole these days, as for Cavani he never turns up for Uruguay because he's shafted on the wing spending more time protecting his fullback than in the box (:pardsgrin:) so i don't expect him to perform that highly because he won't be put in the position to do so.

My only concern is that Hodgson might set us up is incorrectly, if not we'll go through IMO.