The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

@henrywinter

Sherwood: “I thought his team were very good, got a lot of class. It’s a pity he (Jorge Jesus) doesn’t” #slb #thfc

:lol: Sherwood isn't exactly a classic example of a classy individual

I think he over-played his hand when he gave that public bollocking to his players and started talking about them playing for their futures. As a caretaker, he needed to be a bit more circumspect.

He's not a caretaker, though.

We? Hardly any British players are in these teams.

Edit: less than a single team's worth in the starting XI of the three English clubs that have played this week. And Oxlade-Chamberlain was great in Munich.

If anything i'd say that backs him up, when Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool where getting to the latter stages all the time in the mid 2000s they had a lot of great English players in the spine of the teams.

It's difficult to to build a CL contending team with just players you buy every year, as the cohesion and chemistry is a lot more difficult to build.

Or it will just take longer for you to get there, with more careful management behind the scenes. Either way people are going to have to be patient.

Virtually every side from these shores to win the PL or do well in the CL has had a British spine. It's underestimated just how important it is having players who are well tuned to the technical and physical demands of the league.

Virtually every side from these shores to win the PL or do well in the CL has had a British spine. It's underestimated just how important it is having players who are well tuned to the technical and physical demands of the league.

Arsenal in 03-04, "The invincibles", arguably the best team of the Premier League era, hadn't. In fact they only had two Brits in their regular starting XI (Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell).

Who'd you like to see, besides Shawcross? Would love him and Welbeck like.

Would be great if the likes of Dummett, Sammy and Bigi could properly establish themselves too and we had a more familiar team, not that I have anything against our foreign lads. But you look back to the Bobby days and it was a crux of British players (Shearer, Bellamy, Speed, Dyer, Jenas, Woodgate, Given, etc) complimented by a few from overseas (Robert, Nobby, Bernard). Like I say, you felt closer to the squad and didn't feel as though they were gonna jump ship at the first opportunity - it was a good balance and a good spine, like you say.

The Championship season is another good comparison, too. Very British, with only the Latino triumvirate providing the foreign balance. Lovenkrands was more Scottish than TaylorJ.

Looking at the teamsheets, the first Keegan era was much the same.

I don't believe we've got a bunch of givashit foreigners, but they have thrown in performances like that from time to time. Even looking back not as far, we do miss the likes of Barton/Nolan, to a certain extent. Alas, it's not just us that have changed, obviously the whole sport has. But we're missing something by having Saylor as the only established first-teamer who'd probably die for the cause.

Actually developing our local lads and 'development squad' players would make our piss-taking frugality much more bearable, too.

But aye, I'd like to see more British players in the squad.

Arsenal in 03-04, "The invincibles", arguably the best team of the Premier League era, hadn't. In fact they only had two Brits in their regular starting XI (Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell).

I don't think that Arsenal team from that season is a fair yardstick, really. They were incredible and that season allowed us to draw 17 games and still have a shout at 4th.

I don't think that Arsenal team from that season is a fair yardstick, really. They were incredible and that season allowed us to draw 17 games and still have a shout at 4th.

What are you saying here exactly? They're not a fair yardstick, they were incredible...you can't have it both ways.

Watching Augsburg v Schalke and Alex Manninger is in goal for Augsburg :lol:

I've watched a fair bit of Bundesliga football this season including several Augsburg matches and it messes with my head every time that he plays for them. :lol: Can't believe he's only 36, didn't realise he was so young when he was at Arsenal.

Parlour played a fair few games that season if memory serves, like. Anyway. the best team of the PL era was Man U when they won the treble. Arsenal were lovely to watch and remained unbeaten (drawing 12 games) but they did nowt in the cups that year.

Guest bimpy474

Why not let the striker go, instead of getting sent off you have the chance of your GK saving it or you recovering, and even if he does score you have more chance of getting back in it with 11 than 10 men.

Thick as mince.