Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Barca should sign Lemar. He looks ready to slot into their team.

I agree, if there's any justice they'll sign him. He'll have the weight of the world on his shoulders though.

I think he'll be able to handle it. He looks pretty mature for a 21 year old. I've only seen a few Monaco games but he's got a style similar to Iniesta.

Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho - believed to be in the region of £114m.

Liverpool are mental for rejecting that unless they think they can get more from Barcelona.

Could easily bring in Van Dijk, LB and a younger Coutinho replacement for that.

Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho - believed to be in the region of £114m.

Liverpool are mental for rejecting that unless they think they can get more from Barcelona.

More likely the asking price for Van Dijk goes up by 20m

You say that but Southampton will try for as much as possible too, especially if Liverpool have their pockets lined publicly.

Nowt stopping Southampton from asking for 70m.

Basically, the money Liverpool get would be worthless without a replacement.

I don't really think Liverpool need a direct first team replacement for Coutinho, they could easily get away with:

Salah - Lallana - Mane

with Firmino up top and possibly look to bring in a younger player to fill in Coutinho's position. Agree they'd be better off buying Van Djik before this deal happens though :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm all for Liverpool rejecting bids tbh. Anything to reduce player and agent power is good in my book.

I'm all for Liverpool rejecting bids tbh. Anything to reduce player and agent power is good in my book.

What's his contract situation?

Signed a new one in January hence why he's so keen leave.

I don't really think Liverpool need a direct first team replacement for Coutinho, they could easily get away with:

Salah - Lallana - Mane

with Firmino up top and possibly look to bring in a younger player to fill in Coutinho's position. Agree they'd be better off buying Van Djik before this deal happens though :thup:

Don't agree, if they didn't replace Coutinho whose going to get the front 3 the ball?  Henderson and Can?

A great front 3 doesn't work without a midfield setting them up.

Guest firetotheworks

Salah - Lallana - Mane

Don't agree, if they didn't replace Coutinho whose going to get the front 3 the ball?  Henderson and Can?

A great front 3 doesn't work without a midfield setting them up.

It's not really an out and out front 3, it's behind Firmino. Lallana drops deep to pick up the ball as well, as would Wijnaldum play that role.

Lallana's out for a while anyway. If they had been able to pull of any of the transfers for their top targets I'd say they should take it and go after Pulisic or someone. They've failed with that outside of Salah, just doesn't make sense letting him leave this late without any sign of bringing in someone else.

Wijnaldum is good at quite a lot of things, but playmaking and setting up forwards so they are in dangerous positions isn't one of them.

Lallana is the only one they'd have who is even decent at it and that's nowhere near enough, what would happen imo in that scenario is Mane being forced to come way too deep to get the ball because the midfield isn't good enough.

I'm getting flashbacks to Ben Arfa just thinking about it :lol:

So Coutinho would've been the first £100m player, if it weren't for Neymar? :lol: :lol:

Football has completely lost the plot. Coutinho :lol:

If Barcelona didn't have 200-odd million burning a hole in their pocket as a direct result of the Neymar transfer, I doubt any club would have been bidding >£100m for Coutinho any time soon.

Guest chopey

So Coutinho would've been the first £100m player, if it weren't for Neymar? :lol: :lol:

100% with you about Coutinho, I actually think De Bruyne is a better player

Guest firetotheworks

Wijnaldum is good at quite a lot of things, but playmaking and setting up forwards so they are in dangerous positions isn't one of them.

Lallana is the only one they'd have who is even decent at it and that's nowhere near enough, what would happen imo in that scenario is Mane being forced to come way too deep to get the ball because the midfield isn't good enough.

You've moved the goalposts there like. Originally you asked who would get the ball to Mane, Salah and Lallana. Wijnaldum is obviously capable of doing that, you don't need to be a playmaker or even really a creative player to be able to get it into those areas.

They're obviously going to weaken themselves by not having him in there, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you'd think.

Guest firetotheworks

100% with you about Coutinho, I actually think De Bruyne is a better player

That's not really profound like. :lol: De Bruyne's the best all round player in the league imo.

You've moved the goalposts there like. Originally you asked who would get the ball to Mane, Salah and Lallana. Wijnaldum is obviously capable of doing that, you don't need to be a playmaker or even really a creative player to be able to get it into those areas.

They're obviously going to weaken themselves by not having him in there, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you'd think.

Not really i just didn't explain myself very initially with the words i used, also i disagree Wijnaldum is capable tbh. Their midfield as currently set up is nowhere near good enough, they were isolated as a front 3 against bloody Watford. They got away with it up to a point because it's Watford, but in general it's nowhere near good enough.

In general if you want to be a good team and have a quality front 3, you will need a midfielder who can make sure said front 3 can maintain pressure and not get isolated. Nobody on that team can do that without Coutinho, i personally don't think Coutinho is as good as some people think but they would obviously need to replace what he provides.