Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Because people have a fetishizing of Barca. A hangover from when they genuinely had a team of homegrown players and played amazing football.

Now they're no different to any other super club, with Qatari backing, a team full of superstar signings, and no real identity on the pitch.

Neymar might as well go from Barca to PSG, they're basically the same clubs these days.

Lots of money, live in Paris, be main player in a team.

Already has lots of money, Barcelona>Paris, and win a nothing league/reduce your chances of winning the CL.

Rank move imo.

Can still live in Barcelona and buy his own plane to go to Paris every day

Guest firetotheworks

Because people have a fetishizing of Barca. A hangover from when they genuinely had a team of homegrown players and played amazing football.

Now they're no different to any other super club, with Qatari backing, a team full of superstar signings, and no real identity on the pitch.

Neymar might as well go from Barca to PSG, they're basically the same clubs these days.

That's not really true like. Aside from Messi, Suarez, and Neymar they have no superstars at all. I think people tend not to mind when the football is on another planet because football trumps all.

That's not really true like. Aside from Messi, Suarez, and Neymar they have no superstars at all. I think people tend not to mind when the football is on another planet because football trumps all.

Not like they haven't tried mind, it's just most of their signings since Guardiola left Suarez/Neymar aside have flopped. Besides having 3 superstar forwards is pretty comparable to everyone else really.

So apart from 3 of the 4 best forwards in the world they have no superstars? :lol:

The football hasn't exactly been on another planet the last 2 seasons. They have long since lost their footballing identity.

There was definitely a period of time when having the equivalent of Messi, Neymar AND Suarez in the same team wouldn't have happened. Talent used to be more spread out in European football than it is now, in terms of top players.

I mean Ronaldinho went to PSG when he first came to Europe, Ronaldo went to PSV. Now the prices are so high that South American players are going directly to the giants even as teenagers. If the only way to readdress that balance is by having more teams bought out by oligarchs who can afford to compete with this then maybe that's about as good a compromise as possible.

Guest firetotheworks

So apart from 3 of the 4 best forwards in the world they have no superstars? :lol:

The football hasn't exactly been on another planet the last 2 seasons. They have long since lost their footballing identity.

Well yes, considering you literally just said that it was a team full of superstars, when it quite obviously isn't. :lol: Add to that that Messi was homegrown and when it comes to the superstar signings, it's a grand total of two. It's hardly PSG, Man City, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Chelsea level is it?

Pique, Ineista, Rakitic....?

Hmm.... sounds like the standards you're choosing to define a superstar is a little bit too high and unrealistic.

Guest firetotheworks

Pique, Ineista, Rakitic....?

Hmm.... sounds like the standards you're choosing to define a superstar is a little bit too high and unrealistic.

None of them are superstars, and the two of them that were superstars were home grown and therefore not the 'superstar signings, and no real identity on the pitch.' players that ponsaelius was talking about.

Well yes, considering you literally just said that it was a team full of superstars, when it quite obviously isn't. :lol: Add to that that Messi was homegrown and when it comes to the superstar signings, it's a grand total of two. It's hardly PSG, Man City, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Chelsea level is it?

Are you taking the piss? They absolutely spend as much money as those teams, only they often waste it on shite.

How many of their starting XI next season will be homegrown? You're probably looking at 2-3 tops by this point, and it'll be less in a few years. Bayern and Madrid are playing just as many, probably more homegrown players.

I'd love to know what you think makes Barcelona ANY different to those clubs in 2017? It's not 2009 anymore.

I'm saying this as somebody who always admired, and favoured Barcelona. Have been to the Nou Camp twice. But the way they've been ran in the last decade has made them absolutely as much of a 'super club' as anybody else.

I'm saying this as somebody who always admired, and favoured Barcelona. Have been to the Nou Camp twice. But the way they've been ran in the last decade has made them absolutely as much of a 'super club' as anybody else.

Aye, not a very good one either. Their front 3 and Messi especially have consistently masked the idiotic choices made by their higher ups in recent years.

Monaco's exciting young attacking team torn apart by money from these TV deals and lucrative owners. Ah, modern football...

Tbf Monaco were doing the same thing until their owner got divorced [emoji38]

Guest firetotheworks

Are you taking the piss? They absolutely spend as much money as those teams, only they often waste it on shite.

How many of their starting XI next season will be homegrown? You're probably looking at 2-3 tops by this point, and it'll be less in a few years. Bayern and Madrid are playing just as many, probably more homegrown players.

I'd love to know what you think makes Barcelona ANY different to those clubs in 2017? It's not 2009 anymore.

:lol: Areet, do you want to calm down?

Well for a start, you've just said that they've 'wasted money on shite' so if they're shite, how are they the supposed superstars that you're on about? When Man City for example, spunk money on players like Otamendi or Stones for example, I don't think of them as being 'superstars' I just think of them wasting money on players who aren't good enough for the level they want to be at. The same applies to Barca. It's an extreme example, but if you spent £50m on Colback you wouldn't be seen as making superstar signing would you? You'd just be a certified mentalist. The money means nothing if you're wasting it, and Barca clearly have. If they were hoovering up talent like with the level of success that Bayern or Real do, you'd have a point, but they don't.

If he wins the CL with PSG it'd be more impressive than doing it with Barcelona in Messi's shadow.

Barcelona having Messi, Neymar and Suarez is f***ing stupid anyway. Everbody whinges about the monopolization of talent by super clubs but nobody seems to have an issue with Barca signing arguably the 3 best forwards in the world. If Neymar goes to PSG it would be distributive movement of talent.

Aye, I agree.

Aye Monaco are specifically doing this to sell players on, i read they see themselves as the Porto of France. :lol: They'll bring in young players and do it all over again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we'll see similar players breaking through.

Generally I agree. But history matters even if it is no longer entirely relevant. And it wasn't that long ago the core of their team was Spanish & Catalan.

:lol: Areet, do you want to calm down?

Well for a start, you've just said that they've 'wasted money on shite' so if they're shite, how are they the supposed superstars that you're on about? When Man City for example, spunk money on players like Otamendi or Stones for example, I don't think of them having 'a team full of superstars' I just think of them wasting money on players who aren't good enough for the level they want to be at. The same applies to Barca. It's an extreme example, but if you spent £50m on Colback you wouldn't be seen as making superstar signing would you? You'd just be a certified mentalist. The money means nothing if you're wasting it, and Barca clearly have. If they were hoovering up talent like with the level of success that Bayern or Real do, you'd have a point, but they don't.

Well that's just bad management decisions. They spent 40 million on Andre Gomes and 30 million on Paco Alcacer. They are trying to 'hoover up talent' in the same way any other of the big clubs do, they've just done it badly.

They have the highest wagebill in the world. Quite a bit more than either Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. I'd love to know again why you think they are any different or more special than these other clubs.

"They only have 3 of the best 4 attackers in the world".

Aaaand they've wasted money elsewhere. Net spend of over 200m the last 4 years.

The money spent on Alcacar, Gomes, Digne, Cillesen, Umititi (could be a top player) & Turan would cover the fees for Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Isco & Asensio with some 40m to spare. A Gomes alone gets you the last 3.