Norwich City vs Newcastle United - Tue 28th Jan @19.45

joeyt
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Sammy stick :anguish:

He's only 21, started a handful of games and Marveaux isn't remotely similar so I am not sure why people still bang on about players like Sammy or Obertan starting ahead of him.

The fact he's "only 21 and started a handful of games" is why people are annoyed at his inclusion.

He's never looked ready for the Premiership, maybe he's improved behind closed doors or something? Fuck knows. Either way if him being on the pitch and Marveaux not even being in the squad has anything to do with their footballing ability, and not down to other concerns, then Pardew is off his fucking tits.

Marveaux wide left in a 4-3-3 would have been slightly less visible that Cabaye tonight. At least Sammy is positive, always wants the ball and tries to take people on. If Marveaux was playing he would have been in for Anita or Sissoko.

Might as well moan about Sammy starting over MYM.

Fucking depressing that a player born in 1997 (Armstrong) is making our bench mind :lol:

Aye because Marveaux hasn't been a match winner playing on the wings before...

I like Marveaux a lot but he isn't a wide player, he might have had the odd good game out there but will have had just as many where you forget he is even on the pitch. With Cabaye going he might get more games but I doubt they will be out wide.

We really haven't seen enough of him there to decide this as a cast-iron certainty - this is what I was being told when I was saying he should be in the team ahead of Jonas for an entire season - I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.  He might be better central but he's sat far too many games out when a much inferior player has featured ahead of him out wide.  He never gets played there so I'd love to know how everyone's so certain he'll disappear.

He's only 21, started a handful of games and Marveaux isn't remotely similar so I am not sure why people still bang on about players like Sammy or Obertan starting ahead of him.

The fact he's "only 21 and started a handful of games" is why people are annoyed at his inclusion.

He's never looked ready for the Premiership, maybe he's improved behind closed doors or something? Fuck knows. Either way if him being on the pitch and Marveaux not even being in the squad has anything to do with their footballing ability, and not down to other concerns, then Pardew is off his fucking tits.

Marveaux wide left in a 4-3-3 would have been slightly less visible that Cabaye tonight. At least Sammy is positive, always wants the ball and tries to take people on. If Marveaux was playing he would have been in for Anita or Sissoko.

Fucking depressing that a player born in 1997 (Armstrong) is making our bench mind :lol:

I like Marveaux a lot but he isn't a wide player, he might have had the odd good game out there but will have had just as many where you forget he is even on the pitch. With Cabaye going he might get more games but I doubt they will be out wide.

I've never really considered him a wide player either but I'd still have him out there ahead of the energetic but ultimately inexperienced and not very talented (by the Premier League's standards) Sammy Ameobi. I think his dissapearing man act is overplayed a little too, certainly when we consider his replacement.

Sammy may have improved and I hope he has, I just cannot see it being anything other than a typical ungainly performance from him. Marveaux can go 80 minutes doing nothing and then stick an inch perfect ball to the back post, he has that quality, just not the graft that Pardew demands.

We really haven't seen enough of him there to decide this as a cast-iron certainty - this is what I was being told when I was saying he should be in the team ahead of Jonas for an entire season - I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.  He might be better central but he's sat far too many games out when a much inferior player has featured ahead of him out wide.  He never gets played there so I'd love to know how everyone's so certain he'll disappear.

From what I have seen he doesn't have what it takes out wide, he is lovely on the ball, can spot and execute a fantastic pass but none of that makes him a wide player. The closest player I can liken him to who did work well out wide was Solano but he was so much more involved, had more ability to get away from a player despite not being massively quick and would get back and not leave the full back stranded.

I struggle to think of a single part of Marveaux's game that makes me think he would work well out wide. Just my opinion obviously.

I've never really considered him a wide player either but I'd still have him out there ahead of the energetic but ultimately inexperienced and not very talented (by the Premier League's standards) Sammy Ameobi. I think his dissapearing man act is overplayed a little too, certainly when we consider his replacement.

Sammy may have improved and I hope he has, I just cannot see it being anything other than a typical ungainly performance from him. Marveaux can go 80 minutes doing nothing and then stick an inch perfect ball to the back post, he has that quality, just not the graft that Pardew demands.

On the other side of the coin Sammy may run straight into the full back 10 times but that time where it works, maybe even by fluke and he gets through then we have a very good chance. His persistence and willingness to attack a full back counts for a lot which is why I don't feel the same as those who are astounded/angry that he is starting.

Obviously if he isn't fantastic now I will be wrong and Marveaux would have definitely been the better option..

Hope this Armstrong kid is given a cameo. He'll probably be played out of position, but nevertheless.

He'll be our youngest ever debutant?

Nope, Steve Watson was. He will be our youngest goalscorer though if he did score.

From what I have seen he doesn't have what it takes out wide, he is lovely on the ball, can spot and execute a fantastic pass but none of that makes him a wide player. The closest player I can liken him to who did work well out wide was Solano but he was so much more involved, had more ability to get away from a player despite not being massively quick and would get back and not leave the full back stranded.

I struggle to think of a single part of Marveaux's game that makes me think he would work well out wide. Just my opinion obviously.

I don't think Gouffran or Sissoko are wide players either, they still get played there.  Really don't think there's only one position on the pitch for a player like Marveaux.

Hope this Armstrong kid is given a cameo. He'll probably be played out of position, but nevertheless.

"Alright Armstrong, this is your big chance.. now go out there and stick to their centre-half like glue, don't give him an inch of space to hurt us from their box"

His ability to cross a ball? (Arsenal, Anzhi)

2 games? Sammy put in a class cross against Leeds. I know the opposition isn't quite the same but then he doesn't often get a chance against the better sides.

Would love to be proven wrong but despite the odd quality moment Marveaux doesn't look like a wide player at all to me.