If you care about the club - don't attend the Swansea game

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The internet?

I agree like, Sports Direct is a handy shop (I've genuinely never been in for years) but it's not difficult to get anything he sells elsewhere.

If your kid says they need stuff for school the next day the internet isn't going to deliver in time.

In my case it's Hockey stuff for the bairns, shin pads, mouth guards etc. Faff on trying to get them anywhere else and also at the same price.

Guest neesy111

Amazon will sell you almost anything you could possibly want. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't include shin pads.

What if I need something for tonight before playing football?

Guest neesy111

The internet?

I agree like, Sports Direct is a handy shop (I've genuinely never been in for years) but it's not difficult to get anything he sells elsewhere.

If your kid says they need stuff for school the next day the internet isn't going to deliver in time.

In my case it's Hockey stuff for the bairns, shin pads, mouth guards etc. Faff on trying to get them anywhere else and also at the same price.

This is true, mind the quality of it is usually rubbish.

I don't think any fan should be telling any other not to go to games, but a widespread boycott of any official merchandise being bought (or worn if it's post 2007), a boycott of club bars and club shops, a boycott of programs and half time snacks, a boycott of stadium tours, of reserve and of youth games should be the bare minimum any self-respecting fan is currently on board with.

So you feel you have the right/moral authority to tell people not to go to reserve and youth games, along with prescribing a host of other limits,  but not going to senior games (much bigger revenue) is a step too far?

How on earth have you reasoned this?

Here I'll do it for you: It's just greed. You won't give up going for whatever personal reasons you have but feel you can prescribe a "bare minimum" to everyone else that does not affect you at all.

Pathetic, tbh.

Anyway if we won two games on the bounce there would be not a peep out of you regarding protests ect. You'd have a graph showing those two wins, a big upward line and proclaim Pardew your hero again.

I'm not comfortable with people digging out others for going to SD. If you've the income and means to not and you still do, fair enough. But the reality is people are skint, and he sells cheap.

Aye it's fair enough, but like has been said you can get cheap gear elsewhere. If people literally have no access to the internet or no concept of online shopping then fine, they're limited, but you can still get cheap as fuck (and far better quality) gear from elsewhere. It's not like without Sports Direct people would literally be without clothing and sportswear.

Bit like people who moan about the death of the high street and how there's not many small independent shops anymore then go do their shopping at the fuck off massive Tesco on the outskirts of town.

I don't get the 'I've already paid' so I've got a decision to make argument at all. Paid for what? A few more pointless trips to the town? A few more afternoons having a pint with your mates? You can do that without going to the ground and being part of the problem.

If you'd already paid for a minor operation on private healthcare and your doctor told you the test results came back fine and it was no longer necessary, would you still get the local anaesthetic and let them cut you just because the money's left your account?

Walk away, man.

I go with my daughter and don't go to the pub beforehand.

As the song goes "I'll support them evermore" as long as I have the cash to do so and will not take part in boycotting games.

You haven't got a decision to make then, my post wasn't aimed at you.

I don't think any fan should be telling any other not to go to games, but a widespread boycott of any official merchandise being bought (or worn if it's post 2007), a boycott of club bars and club shops, a boycott of programs and half time snacks, a boycott of stadium tours, of reserve and of youth games should be the bare minimum any self-respecting fan is currently on board with.

So you feel you have the right/moral authority to tell people not to go to reserve and youth games, along with prescribing a host of other limits,  but not going to senior games (much bigger revenue) is a step too far?

How on earth have you reasoned this?

Here I'll do it for you: It's just greed. You won't give up going for whatever personal reasons you have but feel you can prescribe a "bare minimum" to everyone else that does not affect you at all.

Pathetic, tbh.

Anyway if we won two games on the bounce there would be not a peep out of you regarding protests ect. You'd have a graph showing those two wins, a big upward line and proclaim Pardew your hero again.

I was at original NUST meetings 5 years ago where 6 other people would turn up.  My thoughts on boycotts are nowt to do with Pardew or his form or at what point it's conceivable he can be fired justifiably.

I've never seen anyone arguer that giving up their pie at half time would be a step too far, like I have people over boycotting games.

What I really dont get it is how there are people out there willing to stand up for the club, and so many on here or on the streets debate the merits of the specific idea instead of getting up off their asses and doing something.

Why cant we support every single idea that has enthusiastic folk behind it? Yes it may not be the best idea, yes it may not hurt Ashely the most of all the ideas, but support them all. Every single one of them.

We need to unite as groups regardless of which fans forum, fanzine, forum, blog came up with the idea. Regardless if they mis-spell boycoutt, organise an open bus, or decide to stop buying anything at the stadium.

Lets give them all a massive pat on the back for doing something and then get behind them all.

The challenge as I see it is with our fanbase being so fragmented it's hard to get agreement on anything. The problem is further compounded by certain egos who seem to see protests as a legitimate opportunity for shameless self-promotion. It's ok in theory everyone agreeing to follow every protest but then Wraith pipes up with 'lets have a mock funeral for the stadium. And I will be the priest.' And everyone goes no thanks mate think I'll leave that and the disagreements start again.

Fwiw I think the open-top bus was a good idea and would have looked a lot better with just a few more bodies involved. On the other hand others found it cringey and you can't force people to join in.

So in short I don't know what the answer is.

Yep. Good point, but I think the sentiment still exists. Lets try support our peers. This is as important as supporting the club. In fact, its the same thing.

Another way to put it:

Lets get every single Newcastle supporter to back one initiative. Doesnt matter what it is. Just back one you agree with, and get everyone to do the same. It can be as small as posting comments on the Chronicle, or as big as giving up your season ticket. Just make some kind of small difference, and hopefully it snow balls.

What is it about our support that makes it so fractured and resistant to change? We know about the movements at Man United and Liverpool but even recent groups at Hull and Cardiff completely put us to shame.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the reasons behind it.

What is it about our support that makes it so fractured and resistant to change? We know about the movements at Man United and Liverpool but even recent groups at Hull and Cardiff completely put us to shame.

Don't really know, but when I talk about getting rid of Pardew, the first reply from some people is... "but who would we get?"

Same people probably think its futile making a stand against the regime, because until someone comes forward with enough cash to buy the club, MA aint going anywhere.

Its a shame, but until something catastrophic happens (another relegation battle or worse, relegation), I don't think many of those people will speak up.

In my opinion, the blatant, and admitted lack of ambition should be enough, but for some, mid-table safety seems all they want too, much like the owner.

Funny you should say that.  I just wrote a line on the subject in a mail I planned to send to the major independent Newcastle sites.....

Alright lads?

I have no affiliation with any fan organisation, I'm just a lone season ticket holder frustrated with the disparate groups that are springing up left right and centre vying for the attention of fans, whether by holding a mock funeral, an open top bus parade, a march or a protest opposite the club bar while it holds 50 times as many paying customers.  I look at these events, at all the fan groups, the meetings held around bars across the North East, the fans forum, the NUST, the MAOC etc, and i think of the Life of Brian.  It's nothing more than the People's Front of Judea arguing the minutae with The Judean People's Front.  It's useless in the face of the Roman empire.

I've mailed you because most average fans like me will agree that NUFC.com, The Mag and True faith hold most sway with (at least web based) fans.  I believe your thoughts reach and affect the behaviour of the vast majority of fans.  Equally any of these new groups promoting action will not get anywhere as they do not have the decades of trust you have built up with your readers.  I know that none of you have any interest whatsoever in being spokespeople for the entire fanbase.  It's an impossible job. And a lot of work.  You should not ever jeopardise the trust, or be swayed from running your sites as you do, into becoming pressure groups.

But have there been any discussions between you all on what your sites can to do collectively?  Anything that would present a united front to the club, press and fans.  If there has been I apologise for wasting your time, but as a well informed (I think) follower of Newcastle, I am not aware if any specific level of disengagement with the clubs cash streams have ever been proposed to the fan base at large.  I feel like fans are angry and prepared to take action, but need someone to crystalise what that level action should be.

Perhaps we don't all need to agree exactly what the action should be, perhaps the message should be that we can all do something.

I Personally do not support any talk of boycotting games whatsoever and wouldn't propose it.  I have renewed my season ticket for next year.  I would be prepared to stop going if the majority were all behind it, but too many people see that as a step too far to get a majority to agree, in my view.

I do not support any protests either. They invariably lead to embarrassment for no reward.

I don't propose buying the club or finding other buyers.  If someone wants to, they can go to Ashley directly.

However, short of boycotting games there are things everyone can stop doing to cut off their support to the regime.  I despair when i see the concourse full of people eating and drinking before a game and at half time.  Walking past the club bars when they are heaving with match-goers moaning about Ashley, seeing people digging into their pockets for a program, tweeting photos from a stadium tour.

To be clear i am not asking that you run any campaign telling fans what they should do.  But i truly believe that if you were to write a piece for your site, simply explaining what you personally have stopped buying from the club since Ashley arrived and why, then yours is an example other fans would feel comfortable to follow.

If you had a banner ad on your front page permanently, which linked to the story, then it would be a long term project that would grow organically without any further legwork.

If all 3 sites promoted the endeavour with a shared hashtag (something like #StarveAshley - but better) I'm sure it would blow up on Twitter and facebook and all of the forums too.  The current popular  tag #ashleyout is vague and actionless.

Why are Newcastle United fans are so bad at this?  Look at Manchester United and everyone in the country knows what Green and Gold is about and understand the problems with the Glazers.  They still get a full house every week though.  Most outsiders seem to think Newcastle fans are unreasonable for making demands while sitting in the top half of the table, but Man u are still title holders.

I Personally do not support any talk of boycotting games whatsoever and wouldn't propose it.  I have renewed my season ticket for next year.  I would be prepared to stop going if the majority were all behind it, but too many people see that as a step too far to get a majority to agree, in my view.

I honestly admire you for trying to get something started, but this doesn't make sense.

Either you think it's the right thing to do, or you don't. End of discussion.

Thought they'd set up that http://www.nufcfansutd.com/ thing?

EDIT: Actually it's not that but I thought something had been tentatively set up which brought all parties together a few month back.

If there has been anything there's no link to it prominently placed on any of their front pages.

Only TF has a link to join NUST.  Not sure what joining them is supposed to achieve though.

I honestly admire you for trying to get something started, but this doesn't make sense.

Apologies for making my point again, but its been years debating the same thing. What idea is better than the next.

Why not all rally behind a game boycott this week, boycott buying anything in the stadium the following week, then do an open top bus the following week. (as an example)

Doesn't honestly matter. The second we all rally behind each other, thats when the media circus starts and its snowballs.

"What is a club?"

Start supporting the man to your right instead of the overpaid mercenaries who don't care as much as your fellow supporter does.

Believe myself that it's down to the way our fans are mocked by the national press and in turn fellow fans for previous action take. The sack the board marches and chants outside of the ground when KK left under Ashley is a huge part of this. One person makes a spelling error on a giant bed sheet and that then classifies all future protesters as the bedsheet brigade. 

Thought they'd set up that http://www.nufcfansutd.com/ thing?

EDIT: Actually it's not that but I thought something had been tentatively set up which brought all parties together a few month back.

If there has been anything there's no link to it prominently placed on any of their front pages.

Only TF has a link to join NUST.  Not sure what joining them is supposed to achieve though.

I'm still waiting for NUST to show where the money given to them goes, it's more secretive than NUFC that place.

Not really.  Hence the tens of thousands of words on the topic written across a dozen fan forums.

Quaint. Let's be absolutely literal then. It should be the end of the discussion. I've got more time for people that say they don't want to give up going to the match than I have for those who say 'I will if he will'.