If you care about the club - don't attend the Swansea game

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Either you think it's the right thing to do, or you don't. End of discussion.

Not really.  Hence the tens of thousands of words on the topic written across a dozen fan forums.

Quaint. Let's be absolutely literal then. It should be the end of the discussion. I've got more time for people that say they don't want to give up going to the match than I have for those who say 'I will if he will'.

I'm a union man.  I might not agree with strike action, but I'm no scab.

I won't be at the Swansea game, haven't been to a game since the end of last summers transfer window. And it's not about making a stand, not really. It's not about trying to damage the regime either. It's about refusing to have the piss taken out of me.

I don't mind paying good money to watch crap football, for the most part that's how my 30 years following NUFC has been. But it's not like that anymore, now you're paying good money so mike Ashley can't get richer. You might aswell just write him a cheque. The club is in a coma until he eventually goes and I ain't watching, and I sure as shit ain't lining that fat cunts pockets!

Either you think it's the right thing to do, or you don't. End of discussion.

Not really.  Hence the tens of thousands of words on the topic written across a dozen fan forums.

Quaint. Let's be absolutely literal then. It should be the end of the discussion. I've got more time for people that say they don't want to give up going to the match than I have for those who say 'I will if he will'.

I'm a union man.  I might not agree with strike action, but I'm no scab.

For fucks sake :lol:

Guest chopey

I won't be at the Swansea game, haven't been to a game since the end of last summers transfer window. And it's not about making a stand, not really. It's not about trying to damage the regime either. It's about refusing to have the p*ss taken out of me.

I don't mind paying good money to watch crap football, for the most part that's how my 30 years following NUFC has been. But it's not like that anymore, now you're paying good money so mike Ashley can't get richer. You might aswell just write him a cheque. The club is in a coma until he eventually goes and I ain't watching, and I sure as s*** ain't lining that fat c***s pockets!

My sentiments exactly, the only thing that makes me more frustrated than Ashley is the fans total lack of any protest

What is it about our support that makes it so fractured and resistant to change? We know about the movements at Man United and Liverpool but even recent groups at Hull and Cardiff completely put us to shame.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the reasons behind it.

Personally think part of the problem is the press perception of Newcastle fans especially the nationals who really dont know whats happening up here they see us sitting safe in 9th position following a relegation fight last season and reason we should be happy with our lot. Even last year when hammered by Sunderland then Liverpool at home Very little press pressure on Manager of the year Pardew.

There has been very little criticism of Pardew or Ashley over the years, even our relegation season was mainly blamed on the unrest at the club rather than the way the club was being run or many fingers being pointed at the owner. Most of the blame at the time in my opinion was levelled at the fans for what happened post Keegan. Seems when Liverpool or Man Utd fans protest they are fighting for the traditions and history of their clubs but when we do we are labelled deluded or deranged.

What is it about our support that makes it so fractured and resistant to change? We know about the movements at Man United and Liverpool but even recent groups at Hull and Cardiff completely put us to shame.

I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the reasons behind it.

Funny you should say that.  I just wrote a line on the subject in a mail I planned to send to the major independent Newcastle sites.....

Alright lads?

I have no affiliation with any fan organisation, I'm just a lone season ticket holder frustrated with the disparate groups that are springing up left right and centre vying for the attention of fans, whether by holding a mock funeral, an open top bus parade, a march or a protest opposite the club bar while it holds 50 times as many paying customers.  I look at these events, at all the fan groups, the meetings held around bars across the North East, the fans forum, the NUST, the MAOC etc, and i think of the Life of Brian.  It's nothing more than the People's Front of Judea arguing the minutae with The Judean People's Front.  It's useless in the face of the Roman empire.

I've mailed you because most average fans like me will agree that NUFC.com, The Mag and True faith hold most sway with (at least web based) fans.  I believe your thoughts reach and affect the behaviour of the vast majority of fans.  Equally any of these new groups promoting action will not get anywhere as they do not have the decades of trust you have built up with your readers.  I know that none of you have any interest whatsoever in being spokespeople for the entire fanbase.  It's an impossible job. And a lot of work.  You should not ever jeopardise the trust, or be swayed from running your sites as you do, into becoming pressure groups.

But have there been any discussions between you all on what your sites can to do collectively?  Anything that would present a united front to the club, press and fans.  If there has been I apologise for wasting your time, but as a well informed (I think) follower of Newcastle, I am not aware if any specific level of disengagement with the clubs cash streams have ever been proposed to the fan base at large.  I feel like fans are angry and prepared to take action, but need someone to crystalise what that level action should be.

Perhaps we don't all need to agree exactly what the action should be, perhaps the message should be that we can all do something.

I Personally do not support any talk of boycotting games whatsoever and wouldn't propose it.  I have renewed my season ticket for next year.  I would be prepared to stop going if the majority were all behind it, but too many people see that as a step too far to get a majority to agree, in my view.

I do not support any protests either. They invariably lead to embarrassment for no reward.

I don't propose buying the club or finding other buyers.  If someone wants to, they can go to Ashley directly.

However, short of boycotting games there are things everyone can stop doing to cut off their support to the regime.  I despair when i see the concourse full of people eating and drinking before a game and at half time.  Walking past the club bars when they are heaving with match-goers moaning about Ashley, seeing people digging into their pockets for a program, tweeting photos from a stadium tour.

To be clear i am not asking that you run any campaign telling fans what they should do.  But i truly believe that if you were to write a piece for your site, simply explaining what you personally have stopped buying from the club since Ashley arrived and why, then yours is an example other fans would feel comfortable to follow.

If you had a banner ad on your front page permanently, which linked to the story, then it would be a long term project that would grow organically without any further legwork.

If all 3 sites promoted the endeavour with a shared hashtag (something like #StarveAshley - but better) I'm sure it would blow up on Twitter and facebook and all of the forums too.  The current popular  tag #ashleyout is vague and actionless.

Why are Newcastle United fans are so bad at this?  Look at Manchester United and everyone in the country knows what Green and Gold is about and understand the problems with the Glazers.  They still get a full house every week though.  Most outsiders seem to think Newcastle fans are unreasonable for making demands while sitting in the top half of the table, but Man u are still title holders.

:thup:

At least you're having a go

At half time during the Man U game the guy who sits next to me (who I don't know apart from sitting next to him at SJP) told me he was leaving to watch the rest of the game in the pub. He did not return to his seat for the second half so I assume he was true to his word. He usually asks me at the last home game of the season if I've renewed. This time I'll be telling him that I haven't. The strange thing is I bet he has renewed his season ticket. People who arrive after the game has kicked off, leave their seat 5 minutes before half time, return after the second half has already kicked off and leave 5 or 10 minutes (if not earlier if NUFC are losing) before the final whistle always seem to be the people who renew. I find it strange as they miss large amounts of every match anyway.

An empty stadium would be a huge statement: its not about the monetary impact or value. Its about people actually doing something about the situation. The media coverage would be huge if it happened.

However, I don't expect fans to have the bollocks to do it.

Guest chopey

I have two games left on my season ticket and would be involved in any protest in a heart beat, cos after the Cardiff game I'm gone.

After the first significant vocal protest against that utter cunt Pardew, this game just became much more interesting.

Some might not go, and those who do, might lambast the prat.

I won't be there. Growing up I used to go nuts when we scored, or won a big game. Now, I can't be arsed when we score and we concede its laughable. Two others next to me won't be there, and the three chaps we sit next to won't be there next week.

There is nothing the ground now apart from apathy and acceptance at what is on show. 

Just a thought but I wonder whether than boycotting the game, it would be an idea to turn up and protest to keep the heat on Pardew - whether inside or outside the ground.

If all the discontented supporters stay away and there aren't any anti-Pardew banners, he will spin it as only a minority of supporters who are not happy.  Many of those left going to games are pretty apathetic and it will take a lot to raise them from their slumber.

Just a thought but I wonder whether than boycotting the game, it would be an idea to turn up and protest to keep the heat on Pardew - whether inside or outside the ground.

If all the discontented supporters stay away and there aren't any anti-Pardew banners, he will spin it as only a minority of supporters who are not happy.  Many of those left going to games are pretty apathetic and it will take a lot to raise them from their slumber.

I agree, after yesterday it's now more important than ever that the fans who attend St James turn up and make their feelings known. Unless it's Pardew give us a wave in which case they deserve everything they get from Ashley.

I think if people have tickets it will be better to turn up and have a go at Pardew.  A few staying away will not lead to any awkward questions, calling for Pardew to go will.

I think if people have tickets it will be better to turn up and have a go at Pardew.  A few staying away will not lead to any awkward questions, calling for Pardew to go will.

Not sure I agree with you on this on Mick. I think any protests in the ground will be met with the same shite as Rob Shepperd was bleating on about...'know your place' type crap and the 'oh just another set of ungrateful fans turning on a manager'.

Whereas an orchestrated non attendance with a cowd of less than 20k, ebven better if people went to the ground and either walked out at kick off or stood outside, would send a massive message about the depth of feeling re the clubs whole plight, not just our idiot of a manager.

Moot point cos nowt will hapen. We seem a gutless, clueless and sickeningly submissive support at the minute.

For me I think we should all turn up and just give shit loads of abuse to everyone at the club. Two more home games left and fuck all to play for - nowt to lose. We need to stop being apathetic and actually do something about these cunts ruining our football club. Bunch of smarmy wankers. I fucking hate the cunts, hate them with a passion.

Guest neesy111

For me I think we should all turn up and just give shit loads of abuse to everyone at the club. Two more home games left and fuck all to play for - nowt to lose. We need to stop being apathetic and actually do something about these cunts ruining our football club. Bunch of smarmy wankers. I fucking hate the cunts, hate them with a passion.

I think this a better idea.

I want to hear SJP turn and for Pardew to really experience the bile and vitriol that we can throw his way.  If he thinks he had it hard with 2900 at Stoke he's gonna drop a log when he hears how fucking horrible 50,000 at SJP can be when they want you out.

Ashley needs to hear it too, the whole fucking country needs to hear it. We're not a fucking soft touch, and we're one of the best supported teams in the country if not Europe. Next year will be 60 years since we won a domestic trophy...60 fucking years. Even my fucking fatha hasn't seen us win a domestic cup. It's a complete fucking joke and we're already getting this shit about the league being priority and we're signing players to make a profit from in a couple of years time. FUCK OFF YOU FAT HORRIBLE CUNT AND YOUR LITTLE SMARMY FUCKING MINIONS.