Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The hostility about Colback still baffles me. Either people made their minds up very early about his ability and are reluctant to adjust, or this resentment about his celebration for the Mackems still lingers on. As they say in Frozen, Let it go.

Or possibly people have seen nothing to suggest he's anything other than a bang average nothing player who we only signed because he was free.

Guest firetotheworks

The hostility about Colback still baffles me. Either people made their minds up very early about his ability and are reluctant to adjust, or this resentment about his celebration for the Mackems still lingers on. As they say in Frozen, Let it go.

I dunno what's worse, something baffling you that's been explained in depth or the fact that a fully grown adult has quoted Frozen.

Calling him a nothing player is absurd tbf. He is very good at breaking up opposition play and rarely loses possession, unlike some of the other daft bastards we have in the middle of the park. Needs to be more consistent in an attacking sense but at the time being he's better than any alternative we have available. That idiot Tiote should be out before anyone else.

I dunno what's worse, something baffling you that's been explained in depth or the fact that a fully grown adult has quoted Frozen.

I like how he felt that was a solid way to put his point across on a football forum. :lol:

He is bang average but one aspect of his game I hadn't really noticed until yesterday is that he seems to try and play the ball forwards as a rule, which is nice to watch. In a decent setup he'd be good back up for CM.

His use of the ball is good mostly, I've always said that, but he doesn't really do much running, that's why the opposition midfield seem to get a grip of the game even though we have an extra midfielder in there supposedly.

Guest firetotheworks

Calling him a nothing player is absurd tbf. He is very good at breaking up opposition play and rarely loses possession, unlike some of the other daft bastards we have in the middle of the park. Needs to be more consistent in an attacking sense but at the time being he's better than any alternative we have available. That idiot Tiote should be out before anyone else.

Like I've said before, I don't think he's good at that tbh. He's that sort of all action English midfielder that runs around trying to get the ball back like a puppy. I'm yet to see him do anything than other than that defensively. He rarely loses possession that's true, but he rarely does anything approaching risky in an attacking sense either, whenever I've watched us he's played the easiest pass for himself to make time after time.

Like I've said before, I don't think he's good at that tbh. He's that sort of all action English midfielder that runs around trying to get the ball back like a puppy. I'm yet to see him do anything than other than that defensively. He rarely loses possession that's true, but he rarely does anything approaching risky in an attacking sense either, whenever I've watched us he's played the easiest pass for himself to make time after time.

He's anything but an all action midfielder though. He trots around at a leisurely pace for the most part. He's best suited to games where we are camped in our own half and he can get behind the ball. In an open game he'd be overrun.

Guest firetotheworks

He's anything but an all action midfielder though. He trots around at a leisurely pace for the most part. He's best suited to games where we are camped in our own half and he can get behind the ball. In an open game he'd be overrun.

I mean all action as in all he does when we don't have the ball in midfield is chase it. That's his only setting.

He consistently leaves huge gaps in our midfield because his positional sense is awful,, he quite literally chases the ball. Good goal yesterday but that aside I thought he was terrible. He looks good to the average fan as he puts in a sliding challenge every now and again.

Also people still disputing he's Cabaye's replacement. :lol:

:lol: He's 5 appearances off Gosling's total within half a season, and Gosling was with us for 4 years.

He consistently leaves huge gaps in our midfield because his positional sense is awful,, he quite literally chases the ball. Good goal yesterday but that aside I thought he was terrible. He looks good to the average fan as he puts in a sliding challenge every now and again.

Also people still disputing he's Cabaye's replacement. :lol:

He wasn't terrible yesterday, man. That's nonsense. And 'good to the average fan' :lol: What an outrageous egomaniac.

Guest firetotheworks

I agree with him. He hoys in a sliding tackle or blasts it out for a throw in and the average fans love it. It's audible, no one's hearing things.

One thing that's been said about him recently that I agree with until he proves otherwise is that he plays well when most of the team are playing well.  He's never one of 2 or 3 stand-out players when things aren't going well (like Sissoko/Perez/Janmaat often are) which considering his position on the pitch is a worrying sign he doesn't impose himself enough.  That might change but it's exactly what we've seen so far, him occasionally looking bright when things are going well and disappearing otherwise.

Was missing for the most part in the second half but then the team as a whole were unable to string two passes together. Was very good first half.

How can a central midfielder go missing for 45 mins? I mean Tiote had a bad game yesterday, he will often get caught on the ball, but no one could ever accuse him of going missing. I've seen Mehdi Abeid play in a few games now and the one thing he NEVER does is go missing.

Midfield is an area where you can't just disappear or hide. It's all well and good putting in a good corner we score from and scoring a great goal but when the rest of your performance leaves huge holes that expose our defence and isolate the attackers and we concede 3 goals, at home, to one of the worst teams in the league, you can't defend that.

Should be paired with someone better than Tiote. I'd put him in with Abeid with Sissoko sitting further forward.

I think he should be paired with someone lazy so he has to do his own running instead of letting someone like Abeid or Sissoko do it for him.