Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anita was a passenger too, though. At least Colback offers threat going forward.

The fact that he sneaks a goal here and there doesn't make up for the fact that he's a nothing player 95% of the time. You don't play him just because you hope he might get a goal at some point.

I think he's probably got more goals for Newcastle than he has in the rest of his career....

A three man midfield in my opinion needs three components

A defensive midfielder, able to break up play, physically impose themselves in the game, and distribute the ball sensibly. The two players we have here are Tiote and Abeid, while Anita and Colback are some way short of fulfilling this role.

A central midfielder capable of driving the game forward and giving the attack a fresh impetus. This player can be quite hard to find, but we have one with Sissoko. Dyer was another example.

A more cautious central midfielder. This player should be able to support the DM, pass the ball around very effectively, and offer a late arriving goal threat.  Gary Speed is the perfect example. One of these CMs needs to be able to take a set piece too, so with the others available for this role it needs to be in this position.

So who gets this role, Anita or Colback?

The answer is neither are good enough. Give Abeid that role, flog Tiote and Anita and buy a much better DM and we would have a great midfield.

Guest antz1uk

you mention 3 components then go on to list 4/5 players for 2 roles,  (unless i've miss-read/Misunderstood)i have always liked the look of anita, but unfortunately as a cliche it may sound he just isn't physically up to it in this league, well at least while we have a coach who does not know how to get the best from technical players with ability, Anita is what i'd call pro active, while colback is reactive. currently given the options we have, soon will have, i'd have a midfield spine of Abeid, Sissohko and De Jong, with options from the bench of Tiote, Anita & colback, then a forward 3 of Cabella, Aarons & Perez

Guest John Carvery

I can't see any advantage for having Anita here. I think he needs to be sold to recoup some of the money and in regard for his own future. He has little to nothing to offer and has now had enough opportunity to do so. Unless he goes on a growth spurt followed by a long course of steroids he's going to be continually outplayed in this country.

Refuse to believe it'd be any worse than the shit we have at the moment, at least it'd be a bit more cohesive and dangerous going forward. I'd fancy my chances of outpacing/muscling Jolback or Anita off the ball.

Sissoko has always struggled when playing as a deeper CM, he really isn't a good defensive player at all. An Abeid-Sissoko-De Jong triumvirate has disaster written all over it.

Are you kidding? Abeid would be more than enough to take care of the defensive role, leaving Sissoko and De Jong free to provide some firepower.

Guest Rent-A-Quote

Sissoko has always struggled when playing as a deeper CM, he really isn't a good defensive player at all. An Abeid-Sissoko-De Jong triumvirate has disaster written all over it.

Finally, a post with a bit sense!

All these championship manager experts, say stuff like that yet don't realise the detrimental affect it would have. De Jong is a number 10 who's been playing as a striker in Holland as it's a bit easier. No no, get him in centre midfield. Nae bother. How long will his poor injury record last in there?

Abeid and Anita as the defensive two for me, Tiote and Colback are cowardly cloggers, where as the first two are ball players.

Guest Rent-A-Quote

Are you kidding? Abeid would be more than enough to take care of the defensive role, leaving Sissoko and De Jong free to provide some firepower.

Are you joking? One defensive midfielder with how poor our team is defensively?

I thought he was utter shite until the goal.  In fact, for the most part, I think he's been shite all season. 

Set pieces are always crap, runs around a lot, makes the odd good tackle and can usually pass it sideways fairly well.  He is just such a nothing player and is another, in a long list of distinctly average English centre midfielders, that are overrated by many for some unknown reason.  Obviously he was lucky to stay on the pitch as well. 

He has weighed in with 3 good goals for us now mind.  Something we are going to need if we persist with the 4-5---------------------------------------1 formation. 

It's not like Sissoko is going to be abandoning his defensive duties altogether, he tends to cover back when we don't have possession anyway, as do most of our players for that matter. I don't know why it's suddenly become acceptable to have two small defensive midfielders, neither of who between them could contain the athletic Nzonzi yesterday.

Guest reefatoon

You are talking about us being a negative team, yet you want two defensive midfielders in there?

Guest antz1uk

KRUL

JANMAAT  COLO    DUMMETT  HAIDARA

ABEID

CABELLA        SISSOKO    AARONS

DE JONG

PEREZ

Although i'd like to see Perez as a 10 with Cisse up top, but it's fitting the right players in their correct positions, i do agree however there's not a lot of protection for that defence, Alternate Perez and De Jong with Cisse up top. to think there is two other strikers that are either shit or can't get a game

Guest Rent-A-Quote

You are talking about us being a negative team, yet you want two defensive midfielders in there?

We ARE a negative team. I don't WANT us to be negative. See the difference? (Hint: being and wanting are not the same)

If we are to play negative, with two defensive midfielders as has been happening, then I would play Abeid and Anita. It's not my fantasy or out, but to me, the best of what we've got to support the whole team. Playing De Jong would be like playing Ben Arfa in central midfield, would you do that?

Of course I would change the formation and the personnel if I was manager but I'm not am I? So I focus on what we've got not what level I think we're at.

Guest reefatoon

We ARE a negative team. I don't WANT us to be negative. See the difference? (Hint: being and wanting are not the same)

If we are to play negative, with two defensive midfielders as has been happening, then I would play Abeid and Anita. It's not my fantasy or out, but to me, the best of what we've got to support the whole team. Playing De Jong would be like playing Ben Arfa in central midfield, would you do that?

Of course I would change the formation and the personnel if I was manager but I'm not am I? So I focus on what we've got not what level I think we're at.

If you were to play Abeid and Anita in the holding roles, then who would you not play out of Sissoko and De Jong? Either way, not playing one of them to play Abeid AND Anita would be a negative move. I think I am getting a grasp of this football malarky, thank you for your patience.