Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think people are being a bit harsh on Colback.

I certainly don't he should be starting every game, but considering he was a free -it's a useful signing.

That's the trouble though, he's been brought in to be Cabaye's replacement. Shocking stuff.

Jack Colback should have been sent off for two yellow card offences – namely fouls on Marc Muniesa (booked) and Victor Moses (let off) – during Newcastle’ United’s 1-1 draw at home to Stoke City on Sunday. Minutes after Kevin Friend turned a blind eye to the challenge on Moses, Colback shot Newcastle ahead. With some justification, Mark Hughes said the referee had not been strong enough or brave enough to send off a player wearing black and white at St James’ Park. It is hard to disagree – even Colback said he caught Moses and could “not have argued” had he seen red. And yet … the former Sunderland midfielder is a fabulous, much underrated player. In his typical, quiet fashion he had a good game, sensibly filling in at left back on occasions when Massadio Haïdara and Sammy Ameobi left that flank exposed and invariably used the ball sensibly. Always competitive but never niggly or remotely nast, Colback wants to win but never sets out to hurt anyone and consistently refrains from whinging when things go wrong. Moreover, he’s blesses with a lovely left foot, is positionally astute and a much better passer than often given credit for. On a human level, he’s a really nice person. “Low maintenance” as Alan Pardew used to put it. Small wonder Friend was seduced. Newcastle’s scorer was lucky here but the English game needs more Jack Colbacks. Louise Taylor

Alan Smith syndrome.

Idiot fans: "Fuckin' gerrin Smudger/Jack, mint tackle that, love players who get stuck in like"

Fans with brains: "He only had to lunge into that tackle because his positioning/movement is so fucking piss poor"

Our pressing has been horrific for years like.

Sissoko was the only member of yesterday's 5 in midfield fit enough to press properly for the whole game unfortunately.

That's why Abeid should be in that midfield for me, he's the only other one who can close down players quickly. Colback just doesn't have the legs for it no matter how good a left foot he has. The midfield area is constantly dominated by the opposition as a result.

4-2-3-1 is how we normally set up. If we want to include De Jong then sissoko needs to drop back a touch.

defense as per...

Abeid  and sissoko

Cabella    De Jong    Perez

Cisse

I wouldn't even have an "ideal midfield", any 4 out of Abeid/Sissoko/Anita/Cabella/De Jong would work fine, filling the 2*CM,1*AM,1*RW positions. I guess you mix it up depending upon who you're against but in reality they won't all be fit anyway. Sissoko in AM if Anita & Abeid start, else in CM. Colback can be involved every so often too, but I guess it'd be him or Anita, and I have much more hope of Anita improving over time.

He's got both the most assists & most goals of anyone in our team the last 10 games. Says it all.

Hes doing something right like. Probably deserves a place in the side.

It actually doesn't say it all.

I wouldn't even have an "ideal midfield", any 4 out of Abeid/Sissoko/Anita/Cabella/De Jong would work fine, filling the 2*CM,1*AM,1*RW positions. I guess you mix it up depending upon who you're against but in reality they won't all be fit anyway. Sissoko in AM if Anita & Abeid start, else in CM. Colback can be involved every so often too, but I guess it'd be him or Anita, and I have much more hope of Anita improving over time.

We actually have decent options apart from out wide.

Sissoko was the only member of yesterday's 5 in midfield fit enough to press properly for the whole game unfortunately.

Yup and he presses alone which leaves great big holes behind him.

I wouldn't mind, our team drops off and doesn't even get particularly tight, it's so easy pass it around against us.

I wouldn't mind, our team drops off and doesn't even get particularly tight, it's so easy pass it around against us.

This is Colback's biggest flaw by far, that it's his nature to just press like a nutter and either make the hero tackle, or more likely just get skinned. It's a shame, he's got many of the attributes to be a good deeper Box to Box player.

This is Colback's biggest flaw by far, that it's his nature to just press like a nutter and either make the hero tackle, or more likely just get skinned. It's a shame, he's got many of the attributes to be a good deeper Box to Box player.

It is his nature because of his education at the horrible football club down the road. It is a shame because I think he is fairly intelligent and has good technique. His main limitations are physical because he is slight and not very athletic.

There is a problem here. You either have to press as a team, or not at all. Too often our pressing is half-hearted, or individual in nature, like you said.

I don't know whether it's Colback not sticking to the plan, or hesitation on the part of others. Perhaps a lack of leadership in general on the pitch.