Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Shearer is hardly an intelligent bloke and seems to know less about football than some of the dafter posters on here if his punditry is anything go by. I don't see why he'd make a good manager at all.

I don't really see any reason that Shearer would make a good manager. He's not charismatic, he hasn't achieved that much in terms of honours and from his MOTD appearances he doesn't know a great deal about football either. I love him and he's a legend, but still.

Basically this.

Shearer is hardly an intelligent bloke and seems to know less about football than some of the dafter posters on here if his punditry is anything go by. I don't see why he'd make a good manager at all.

I'm not saying good, I'm saying decent. Decent on this scale is compared to other managers currently in jobs out there. I don't think he'd be a great manager.

I'm basing my thoughts mostly off him having experienced some of the top (although also some of the worst) managers in the game and in general having an aura around him that seems to generate respect from players. Compared to a lot of other ex-players who've tried their hand at management he seems to have a much better starting spot on the course to being an okay manager.

I don't really see any reason that Shearer would make a good manager. He's not charismatic, he hasn't achieved that much in terms of honours and from his MOTD appearances he doesn't know a great deal about football either. I love him and he's a legend, but still.

Are you trying to say he'd get no respect from players because he hasn't won many trophies? ???

I truly believe that had Ashley given Shearer the job after relegation we would be in a better position now, as much as I think Hughton did a good job. A season in the Championship with a side way too good for that league and pulling together could have been the making of him as a manager.

Are you trying to say he'd get no respect from players because he hasn't won many trophies? ???

Not in those words, no, but he hardly has experience of being part of many high-achieving teams. TBF I always forget that he won the league with Blackburn.

I truly believe that had Ashley given Shearer the job after relegation we would be in a better position now, as much as I think Hughton did a good job. A season in the Championship with a side way too good for that league and pulling together could have been the making of him as a manager.

Maybe, but Shearer insisted he needed a large transfer budget to get us back up. He had no faith in that crop of players.

Is it a pre-requisite now to be intelligent to be a manager? Rubbish. He's no less intelligent than the rest of them.

Is this post serious? I'd like to think you've got more about you than posting daft nonsense like this, man. 

I think you're underestimating the job Hughton did that season. The mood was so bad after the relegation season that we could have easily spent a few more years in the Championship.

Is it a pre-requisite now to be intelligent to be a manager? Rubbish. He's no less intelligent than the rest of them.

Is this post serious? I'd like to think you've got more about you than posting daft nonsense like this, man.

:lol: I'm merely pointing out that shearer's intelligence is not a quantifiable factor in whether he'd be a good manager, which you alluded to in your post. That aside it's hardly a Mensa meeting as it is in football, I don't think he's markedly stupider than the vast majority

Compared to Gary Megson, fair enough. Compared to someone I'd want managing us, forget it.

Not sure why you would judge a manager by their MOTD punditry - it's a hardly the right forum for indepth tactical analysis and has never been presented as such.

Nobody is, per se. What would you judge them on?

Maybe, but Shearer insisted he needed a large transfer budget to get us back up. He had no faith in that crop of players.

Shame really as it was a good opportunity for him to prove himself in the championsship with a half decent squad. Most footballers have to earn their spurs in the lower leagues to earn a shot at that level.

That's one of the reasons we'd have been better off; Shearer wouldn't have stood for this penny pinching. Also the probable reason why he didn't get the job like :lol:

The problem with the "can't judge managerial ability on 8 games" view is that whilst the point itself is obviously correct, it is also used to absolve Shearer of any decisions he might have made which were questionable. For me, Shearer dropping Jonas for Guthrie out wide was a big one that set off alarm bells - I realise Jonas has never been the most popular of players and he has always been seriously flawed, but at the time Jonas was a tad more attacking than what he eventually turned into under Pardew and was genuinely the only outfield player actually doing anything with the ball (dribbling, winning free kicks/corners, carrying the ball forward, etc) whilst the rest were hiding. In my eyes it was a ridiculous "scapegoating" decision especially given how slow/average Guthrie was anyway (and a central midfielder to boot) and the fact that he had never shown anything that suggested he'd contribute anything on the wing. It's a decision that bears the hallmarks of the likes of Souness/Pardew, i.e. if things aren't going well blame it on the flaws of one of the few technical players in your team, ignore what they bring to the side, stick some graft in there instead. Meanwhile Damien Duff on the other flank continued to play with impunity despite being possibly the worst culprit when it came to hiding.

Had that cunt Owen and Martins put their chances away, had Viduka's goal that was wrongly disallowed stood, things right now might be a bit different.

FWIW, I don't think Shearer wants to be manager; I think he only wants to be the Newcastle manager. (During his press conference he was asked if he would have done this for anyone else (take a managerial job), he said no.)

Shearer was also popular with the players, hardly something Sounessesque. (Did he fall out with Martins when he chickened out against Stoke?) If Shearer was really into "scapegoating", was he trying to do the same with his then mate Owen? Or did he drop him because he was shit?

I think his tactical awareness wasn't too bad, at least he had the "brains" to try and come-up with a formula. 

Not sure why you would judge a manager by their MOTD punditry - it's a hardly the right forum for indepth tactical analysis and has never been presented as such.

Nobody is, per se. What would you judge them on?

There isn't anything really until they have had a decent crack at managing a team (which lasts more than 8 games).

I think his tactical awareness wasn't too bad, at least he had the "brains" to try and come-up with a formula. 

A formula that had us failing to score in 6 games out of 8 with largely the same squad that Keegan had scoring 4 away at Spurs, like.

A formula that had us failing to score in 6 games out of 8 with largely the same squad that Keegan had scoring 4 away at Spurs, like.

Yeah, and it was "largely the same squad" that took KK around 8 games to get going.

I personally don't blame Shearer for any of that mess. I mean, it would have been nice for him to have gotten a reaction and improvement from the players given who he is, but 8 games is ridiculous as a basis for judgement on whether someone would have a good career in management.

In fact, it irritates me when people (non Newcastle fans), say Shearer took us down.

Guest bimpy474

I personally don't blame Shearer for any of that mess. I mean, it would have been nice for him to have gotten a reaction and improvement from the players given who he is, but 8 games is ridiculous as a basis for judgement on whether someone would have a good career in management.

In fact, it irritates me when people (non Newcastle fans), say Shearer took us down.

I agree to an extent but that last game at Villa, the second half was the worst i've seen from a team that needed a point to stay up. Shearer couldn't get them up for a game like that. I guess it how you judge it, the rot had set in way before Shearer took over, but that half time teamtalk at Villa, god knows.