Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

I personally don't blame Shearer for any of that mess. I mean, it would have been nice for him to have gotten a reaction and improvement from the players given who he is, but 8 games is ridiculous as a basis for judgement on whether someone would have a good career in management.

In fact, it irritates me when people (non Newcastle fans), say Shearer took us down.

I agree to an extent but that last game at Villa, the second half was the worst i've seen from a team that needed a point to stay up. Shearer couldn't get them up for a game like that. I guess it how you judge it, the rot had set in way before Shearer took over, but that half time teamtalk at Villa, god knows.

Aye, as I say, I'd have liked to have seen him get more from them and I guess you can only judge on what you have seen, but to completely write him off as well as pin a large chunk of the blame on him is unfair IMO.

Guest bimpy474

I personally don't blame Shearer for any of that mess. I mean, it would have been nice for him to have gotten a reaction and improvement from the players given who he is, but 8 games is ridiculous as a basis for judgement on whether someone would have a good career in management.

In fact, it irritates me when people (non Newcastle fans), say Shearer took us down.

I agree to an extent but that last game at Villa, the second half was the worst i've seen from a team that needed a point to stay up. Shearer couldn't get them up for a game like that. I guess it how you judge it, the rot had set in way before Shearer took over, but that half time teamtalk at Villa, god knows.

Aye, as I say, I'd have liked to have seen him get more from them and I guess you can only judge on what you have seen, but to completely write him off as well as pin a large chunk of the blame on him is unfair IMO.

Alarm bells went off for me straight away when he looked at the squad and thought three at the back was a good idea, i think the fact he hasn't gone on to manage again might tell you, that he may have realised it's not for him.

I think his tactical awareness wasn't too bad, at least he had the "brains" to try and come-up with a formula. 

A formula that had us failing to score in 6 games out of 8 with largely the same squad that Keegan had scoring 4 away at Spurs, like.

Yeah, and it was "largely the same squad" that took KK around 8 games to get going.

Come on, man. 6 games out of 8 with no goals.

Yohan Cabaye believes his former club Newcastle United will be making a mistake if they offload Haten Ben Arfa this summer.

Ben Arfa is tipped to leave St James' Park after falling out of favour under Alan Pardew last season.

The 27-year-old was frozen out of the first-team at Newcastle after a bust-up with Pardew and the club are thought to be ready to listen to offers.

Cabaye, who left Newcastle to join Paris Saint-Germain in January, is confident Ben Arfa will bounce back if indeed he does move to a new club, but fears the Magpies will be letting one of their most talented players depart.

"I have not talked to him (about a departure)," Cabaye told Foot Mercato.

"This is a situation that he must manage on his side. For me, he remains an extraordinary player with enormous quality.

"It is true that it was harder for him late in the season. He is going to bounce back and find more opportunities with another team.

"For me, this is one of the players I've played with who has the highest quality.

"If he decides to return home, that will be good for the French league."

Yohan Cabaye believes his former club Newcastle United will be making a mistake if they offload Haten Ben Arfa this summer.

Ben Arfa is tipped to leave St James' Park after falling out of favour under Alan Pardew last season.

The 27-year-old was frozen out of the first-team at Newcastle after a bust-up with Pardew and the club are thought to be ready to listen to offers.

Cabaye, who left Newcastle to join Paris Saint-Germain in January, is confident Ben Arfa will bounce back if indeed he does move to a new club, but fears the Magpies will be letting one of their most talented players depart.

"This is a situation that he must manage on his side. For me, he remains an extraordinary player with enormous quality.

"It is true that it was harder for him late in the season. He is going to bounce back and find more opportunities with another team.

"For me, this is one of the players I've played with who has the highest quality.

To be fair he's never played with Jack Colback.  Just ask hoppaz about wor Jacks dazzling abilities and how lacking in skill Ben Arfa is in comparison.. :lol:

To be fair he's never played with Jack Colback.  Just ask hoppaz about wor Jacks dazzling abilities and how lacking in skill Ben Arfa is in comparison.. :lol:

I never said HBA lacks skill or ability but he lacks professionalism which transpires into the fact that if he was fit and sharp he might have controlled that ball better. As it happens he didn't and rather than track back to try to get the ball back he got up and pleaded at the ref for a free kick whilst they went up and scored.

Is it a pre-requisite now to be intelligent to be a manager? Rubbish. He's no less intelligent than the rest of them.

Intelligence helps.

As does charisma. As does a knowledge of the game.

Shearer demonstrates none of those. If he was sat there oozing passion and tactical astuteness, I wouldn't care if he was thick as mince. But when he seems to have none of those attributes I'm struggling to see why he'd be a good manager. Because he played for England? Because he's our top scorer? Totally irrelevant. On the relevant managerial points, he's sadly lacking.

(Still be better than Pardew though)

I thought the rest of the squad all hated Ben Arfa? More Pardew lies exposed day by day.

I thought the rest of the squad all hated Ben Arfa? More Pardew lies exposed day by day.

Only the bell ends that are not good enough to be here and owe their Premiership footballer status to Pardew.

We didn't sell Cabaye for the money.  Pardew actually hounded out Hatem's only friend.

I never said HBA lacks skill or ability but he lacks professionalism which transpires into the fact that if he was fit and sharp he might have controlled that ball better. As it happens he didn't and rather than track back to try to get the ball back he got up and pleaded at the ref for a free kick whilst they went up and scored.

Again, where is the evidence that he isn't fit or wasn't fit when he wasn't being played? Please don't say it's because he looked fat in photos. I don't think I could take any more of that kind of 'evidence'.

Again, where is the evidence that he isn't fit or wasn't fit when he wasn't being played? Please don't say it's because he looked fat in photos. I don't think I could take any more of that kind of 'evidence'.

I saw it with my own eyes. I was in Lanzarote at the time in a bar full of different supporters who were commenting on his weight...

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,91227.21950.html

There is an epic NPW fail by Dave too for added amusement  :lol: