Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Ben Arfa didn't run much in a match for Hull once?  Well that's changed my mind on the lad completely.  I was basing my opinion on watching him play 60-70 times but obviously a stat some fat loser trotted out at a talk in once is much more relivent. :thup:

Fact is, there's a lot of average managers who have a formulaic approach to management - work hard, close down, track back, good shape, defend, play the percentages. With a half decent set of players you'll secure a mid table slot. Perfect in an environment where staying up and milking the TV cash is the be all and end all. You need a bit more about you as a manager to get the best out of a player like Ben Arfa.

Reminds me a bit of when Keegan told Beresford and Rob Lee they would need to do Ginola's running for him because of the talent he had. Seriously doubt Ginola would have been such a success in today's game, and that isn't meant as a sleight on him.

I thought I'd heard the story before.

Amazing how folk still w*** off wanting him back at NUFC.

:spit: Fucking hell.

This is the mindset of a lot of our fans [emoji38] Lad doesn't graft, Pardew was right about him and dealt with him as best he could, despite everything we know about Pardew. It's incredible.

Guest palnese

There's a difference between "not grafting" and running less than your goalkeeper. I wouldn't play him either if  actually moved less than their goalkeeper, regardless of talent. It's about respecting your teammates, hell even the fans. I know it's not popular around here, but hard work is a pretty big factor in the game.

Plus, don't think anyone is bashing "hard work" as a quality for a player to have. Just that it can't be the only thing and especially it can't be something for a player to hide behind. Like Alan Smith's version of grafting, or Colback.

There's a difference between "not grafting" and running less than your goalkeeper. I wouldn't play him either if  actually moved less than their goalkeeper, regardless of talent. It's about respecting your teammates, hell even the fans. I know it's not popular around here, but hard work is a pretty big factor in the game.

There's a massive difference between Jonas circa 2012 hard work and Gouffran 2014 hard work. That's the kind of 'graft' that draws people's ire.

Anyway I didn't watch the Man Utd game where Ben Arfa was taken off after 35 minutes (:lol:) but I assume the stats are either bullshit of McGregor was desperate for a shite.

Guest palnese

Did he ever run less than the goalkeeper for us? Otherwise you're basing your opinion on the circus Bruce presided over.

I've no idea. I just assumed Bruce had some stats to back it up?

I thought I'd heard the story before.

Amazing how folk still w*** off wanting him back at NUFC.

:spit: Fucking hell.

This is the mindset of a lot of our fans [emoji38] Lad doesn't graft, Pardew was right about him and dealt with him as best he could, despite everything we know about Pardew. It's incredible.

Pardew played a blinder iirc mate.

Guest palnese

Plus, don't think anyone is bashing "hard work" as a quality for a player to have. Just that it can't be the only thing and especially it can't be something for a player to hide behind. Like Alan Smith's version of grafting, or Colback.

I think hard work should be the minimum expected from any player. Talented or not, give it your all.

I think hard work should be the minimum expected from any player. Talented or not, give it your all.

:thup: And it's the reason Ben Arfa will never make it as a top player. Too often any criticism of him is met with a wall of nonsense about Gouffran etc.

:thup: And it's the reason Ben Arfa will never make it as a top player. Too often any criticism of him is met with a wall of nonsense about Gouffran etc.

Tell that to Romario then. Never  even went to training or ran and was the world best player at one point.

Tell that to Romario then. Never  even went to training or ran and was the world best player at one point.

And Kanu

Such rubbish. Lack of work rate was never his problem at NUFC. He went months where he barely figured. Was clearly deemed a luxury player by the clueless gobshite we all know is a clueless gobshite.