Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

I loved Hatem as a RW but he's never in a million years a PL no.10. He's worth most to the team basically doing his own thing out wide, not in a role which relies on the movement of and linking up with others. In other leagues where you get a bit more space the no.10 position can be more of a free role. Not the PL, and, as you allude to, especially not in a Benitez system.

I'm baffled by PSG buying him and then changing his game from playing for Nice, the way of playing that made them sign him.

Free role, scores over 15, sets up loads. Brilliant season. I know lets buy him and get him to defend more and not give him the very role and freedom he was so effective with. I dunno, maybe i'm seeing it wrong.

I'm baffled by PSG buying him and then changing his game from playing for Nice, the way of playing that made them sign him.

Free role, scores over 15, sets up loads. Brilliant season. I know lets buy him and get him to defend more and not give him the very role and freedom he was so effective with. I dunno, maybe i'm seeing it wrong.

Because he wasn't good enough to warrant PSG restructuring their playing style around him. It was a dumb move for both parties.

Because he wasn't good enough to warrant PSG restructuring their playing style around him. It was a dumb move for both parties.

That's it, well if you forgive him a bit for going there as it was his boyhood team. PSG getting him in, but to then play him in a totally different role, from the one they saw him excel in is as you say dumb as feck. And so is he for not seeking assurances he would get the role that suited him best

Aye dumb move all round.

I loved Hatem as a RW but he's never in a million years a PL no.10. He's worth most to the team basically doing his own thing out wide, not in a role which relies on the movement of and linking up with others. In other leagues where you get a bit more space the no.10 position can be more of a free role. Not the PL, and, as you allude to, especially not in a Benitez system.

Based on what, 4-5 games where he started in the role (not even full games, a few were 45 minutes) over 4 years? Where he was randomly thrown into the position with no visible tactical drilling or coaching once in a blue moon, in a hoofball team no less under a mong like Pardew with one day of attacking tactical coaching by John Carver per week? With no other wingers in the side? Of course it wasn't going to work.

There are so many factors to consider that it's really premature to judge based on past performances. Yes, he was alot more effective on the wing back then, but that's only to be expected in a half arsed coached hoofball side. If Hatem was to play as a genuine number 10 in a passing team where he's not the only source of creativity, where there are good wingers on either flank, have him drifting wide to either flank whenever he wants, and given a proper run in the role, there's no reason why he can't be effective there. What's more, many of his best moments in a B&W shirt were straight down the middle of the pitch (Everton debut goal, West Brom away, Bolton wondergoal). It's a natural area of the pitch that he used to drift into when things weren't working on the flanks. I also remember a couple of games where he just went into that central role during a game after doing nothing on the wings and did well, running the game for us, just without any memorable match winning moments. Norwich away (can't remember which season) was one where in the second half he played the number 10 role very well.

The one thing that counts against him in the role is his lack of willingness to make forward runs off the ball. But then that's why he isn't a team player and needs to be at a club surrounded by teammates who don't mind that. I'd still want to see him given a run of games in the role before writing it off.

Hatem is very hard to debate TBH, personally I think any team would benefit from just playing him and letting him score goals and win games for them. The more complicated thing is what he's like behind the scenes and in training etc, suspect he's a bit weird. And football people aren't always the most open minded.

Hatem is very hard to debate TBH, personally I think any team would benefit from just playing him and letting him score goals and win games for them. The more complicated thing is what he's like behind the scenes and in training etc, suspect he's a bit weird. And football people aren't always the most open minded.

Absolutely. There's obviously a reason a guy as ludicrously talented as Hatem hasn't achieved more in the game. He's fallen out with someone at every club he's been at. Football has changed in a huge way over the last 10-15 years and the tactical side of the game is now more prominent than ever, meaning carrying a mercurial player is not an option for most teams wanting to compete at the very top.

Having said that, I'd pull off my ballbag to have him back here.

It was a big point in his career when he left Nice after such an amazing season. I understand why he felt he couldn't turn down PSG but he'd have been much better off somewhere with slightly weaker midfield options and possibly less expectation to win the league.

The way we are pissing about in the transfer window and not doing much of note I would take Ben Arfa back in a heartbeat, he would walk into our team and instantly make it better.

He would probably be the difference in us winning enough points to stay up, unless of course Charnley stops being a moron and actually signs some decent players.

I'd go out and get a shirt with Ben Arfa on the back and instantly be twice as excited for the start of the season.  Just having him on the pitch makes the game more exciting.

Absolutely. There's obviously a reason a guy as ludicrously talented as Hatem hasn't achieved more in the game. He's fallen out with someone at every club he's been at. Football has changed in a huge way over the last 10-15 years and the tactical side of the game is now more prominent than ever, meaning carrying a mercurial player is not an option for most teams wanting to compete at the very top.

Not at Nice like.

Not at Nice like.

Of course. He was nice at Nice.

Not at Nice like.

Of course. He was nice at Nice.

That takes the biscuit.