Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Eric reckons Didier's rayyyysssiiisssst.

'Eric Cantona sensationally claims Didier Deschamps may have omitted Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa from France's Euro 2016 squad due to their ethnic backgrounds'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3610754/Eric-Cantona-sensationally-claims-Didier-Deschamps-omitted-Karim-Benzema-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-France-s-Euro-2016-squad-ethnic-backgrounds.html

Eric Cantona has claimed France manager Didier Deschamps may have left Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa out of his Euro 2016 squad due to their ethnicity.

The pair were omitted from Deschamps' final 23-man squad of next month's tournament despite impressive seasons for Real Madrid and Nice respectively.

Cantona, who earned 45 caps for France, suggested ethnicity may have played a part and criticised French prime minister Manuel Valls, for urging Deschamps to leave Benzema out of the squad.

The last few months have been controversial for Benzema, who was questioned by police in connection with an alleged attempt into one of his friends blackmailing international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

Ben Arfa on the other hand had a sensational season for Nice, scoring 17 goals, and was left on standby despite calls for the attacker to be included in the squad.

When asked if Deschamps could be discriminating against the pair, Cantona told The Guardian's Owen Gibson that the France manager was leaving out the country's best players.

'Maybe no, but maybe yes. Why not? One thing is for sure – Benzema and Ben Arfa are two of the best players in France and will not play the European Championship. And for sure, Benzema and Ben Arfa, their origins are north African. So, the debate is open,' he said.

Benzema comes from an Algerian background and could have chosen to play for the African country before deciding to represent his place of birth.

Ben Arfa is also of African descent, with his father Kamel Ben Arfa being born in and playing football for Tunisia.

Deschamps declined to comment when contacted by The Guardian.

I love Benny like anyone who actually likes football would, but this is quite a serious allegation to make! If France didn't have such insane depth then he would have been a shoe-in after the season he's had.

Get French Football ‏@GFFN  28m28 minutes ago

Hatem Ben Arfa turns down Atletico Madrid's advances, criticises their style of play: "Football is also about love." http://goo.gl/Yx25VT

:smitten: :smitten:

If he turned down them what must he think of Bruce and Pardew

Could he not still make it? He's at the training camp bossing it no?

He's only a reserve so I assume a few people would have to drop out. Not sure the manager can just change his mind... he won't anyway because he's a massive racist.

Eric reckons Didier's rayyyysssiiisssst.

'Eric Cantona sensationally claims Didier Deschamps may have omitted Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa from France's Euro 2016 squad due to their ethnic backgrounds'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3610754/Eric-Cantona-sensationally-claims-Didier-Deschamps-omitted-Karim-Benzema-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-France-s-Euro-2016-squad-ethnic-backgrounds.html

Eric Cantona has claimed France manager Didier Deschamps may have left Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa out of his Euro 2016 squad due to their ethnicity.

The pair were omitted from Deschamps' final 23-man squad of next month's tournament despite impressive seasons for Real Madrid and Nice respectively.

Cantona, who earned 45 caps for France, suggested ethnicity may have played a part and criticised French prime minister Manuel Valls, for urging Deschamps to leave Benzema out of the squad.

The last few months have been controversial for Benzema, who was questioned by police in connection with an alleged attempt into one of his friends blackmailing international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

Ben Arfa on the other hand had a sensational season for Nice, scoring 17 goals, and was left on standby despite calls for the attacker to be included in the squad.

When asked if Deschamps could be discriminating against the pair, Cantona told The Guardian's Owen Gibson that the France manager was leaving out the country's best players.

'Maybe no, but maybe yes. Why not? One thing is for sure – Benzema and Ben Arfa are two of the best players in France and will not play the European Championship. And for sure, Benzema and Ben Arfa, their origins are north African. So, the debate is open,' he said.

Benzema comes from an Algerian background and could have chosen to play for the African country before deciding to represent his place of birth.

Ben Arfa is also of African descent, with his father Kamel Ben Arfa being born in and playing football for Tunisia.

Deschamps declined to comment when contacted by The Guardian.

I love Benny like anyone who actually likes football would, but this is quite a serious allegation to make! If France didn't have such insane depth then he would have been a shoe-in after the season he's had.

What a shit article.

Cantona usually talks a load of rubbish as well.

Those two players should be in the squad, though.

Benzema is out because he was caught bribing another player though right? No excuse for Benny though.

Meant talent wise but I clearly missed your point. Fair enough.

Both talents will be a miss.

They never have got along tbf so it isn't surprising, he should just suck it up though as Hatem clearly deserves to go. Not sure i particularly agree with the whole best player thing but he clearly shouldn't be sitting at home.

I can never understand why you wouldn't want a player like him on the bench even if you don't trust him over 90 mins. If you are struggling to break a side down, then he's more likely to unlock the defence than anyone else. Plus there won't be another player like him in their squad. Why deny yourselves the option?

Guest antz1uk

I can never understand why you wouldn't want a player like him on the bench even if you don't trust him over 90 mins. If you are struggling to break a side down, then he's more likely to unlock the defence than anyone else. Plus there won't be another player like him in their squad. Why deny yourselves the option?

:pardsgrin: :coloccini:

:cba:

I personally think he's had a better season than most of the squad of attacking players and believe he should be fighting for a starting position or on the bench. He's in outrageous form, world class form tbh. They could probably get away with playing Griezmann, Martial and Hatem in a front 3 with Matuidi, Kante and Pogba behind them and be perfectly fine.

Probably get massively slated for my views above.

I personally think he's had a better season than most of the squad of attacking players and believe he should be fighting for a starting position or on the bench. He's in outrageous form, world class form tbh. They could probably get away with playing Griezmann, Martial and Hatem in a front 3 with Matuidi, Kante and Pogba behind them and be perfectly fine.

Swap out Martial for Benzema and that's actually quite a frightening line up.

Swap out Martial for Benzema and that's actually quite a frightening line up.

I ignored Benzema b/c he's suspended. But agree.

At this moment in time, I think both Lacazette and Gameiro are better options at striker than Martial.

Otherwise I would agree, pretty hard to leave Payet out though after the season he's had.

If the season he's had doesn't get him into the squad then he has no chance. Pretty much the best player in the league, fit all season and loads of goals and assists in an average team. Deschamps just doesn't like him. Yes they have a good squad but he should definitely be going.