Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Zidane is a muslim Arab though so they can f*** off :lol:

His parents are Muslims, I don't think he regards himself as Muslim

That long post from Alto is full of contradictions, on the one hand says being Arab has nothing to do with it BUT then saying Ben Arfa being Arab has contributed to it because he does not get the leeway that Griezmann got

You misread it. I did not say that being Arab had nothing to do with it, but that it did not explain DIRECTLY Deschamps' decision. Being an Arab INDIRECTLY shaped the way Ben Arfa was depicted, which played against him eventually.

That long post from Alto is full of contradictions, on the one hand says being Arab has nothing to do with it BUT then saying Ben Arfa being Arab has contributed to it because he does not get the leeway that Griezmann got

In Islam you are born into it if your parents are Islamic.

In Islam you are born into it if your parents are Islamic.

Your identity depends on how you choose to define yourself no? There are plenty of people from religious parents who don't identify with the religion.

Cantona is bullshitting, as always. We have an Arab god in France, named Zidane. HBA's North African origins don't explain directly the reason why Deschamps did not pick him. However, it may have had a soft, indirect influence.

I have no clear evidence of what I’m about to say. This is a feeling, more than a rigorous analysis. Rightly or wrongly, HBA is categorized, in France, as an unstable player, having problems with authority, and especially with his coaches. For all we know, there have been some incidents, but minor ones actually (even insignificant), and for which it's been revealed that HBA was not all wrong. The problem is that this last aspect does not matter here: once you are labeled as a pariah, it is enduring. And this is where his origins come into play. That a young Arab man has problems with authority seems almost natural to many, or at least it is expected. So when it happens, we may make the link with his origins, and think it was actually the cause of such a behavior. Being an Arab and an unsubordinated player is a package.

If you behave well, being an Arab is no problem. If you make one mistake, you’ll hardly have a second chance, when others might. 

When Griezmann makes a mistake, and he did a big one is the past, this does not happen. He is punished, but we think he deserves a second chance. And if he behaves well, then we can move on. This was only fair. We thought it could have been a one-time mistake. In this case there was nothing that could let us believe that this bad behavior was anything structural. As a consequence, he did not become a pariah. Today we all forgot about that incident.

As an Arab, HBA does not have this chance, or has is to a lesser extent. We believe he had fights because he was an Arab. And the problem is that he is still one, and this will not change. So why give him another chance? This is not a matter of temporary behavior. This is a matter of his real nature in people’s eyes. So here, contrary to Griezmann, there is reason to think that this was a one-time mistake. Today, a strong argument that is made against Ben Arfa is that he would not have behaved well as a substitute. He will cause troubles. This belief is due to these stories.  The cause of his assumed bad behavior has not been removed: his origins.

To sum up, if he was not picked, it is not because he is an Arab. It’s because is a pariah. But being an Arab can easily make you so.

Are you French, my friend? I am interested that there is a distinction between "Arabs" and others. If they grew up in France, are they not French too?

Both French and Arabs.

And yes I am French (and also a Nice fan).

Zidane is technically a Berber, isn't he?

Cantona is bullshitting, as always. We have an Arab god in France, named Zidane. HBA's North African origins don't explain directly the reason why Deschamps did not pick him. However, it may have had a soft, indirect influence.

I have no clear evidence of what I’m about to say. This is a feeling, more than a rigorous analysis. Rightly or wrongly, HBA is categorized, in France, as an unstable player, having problems with authority, and especially with his coaches. For all we know, there have been some incidents, but minor ones actually (even insignificant), and for which it's been revealed that HBA was not all wrong. The problem is that this last aspect does not matter here: once you are labeled as a pariah, it is enduring. And this is where his origins come into play. That a young Arab man has problems with authority seems almost natural to many, or at least it is expected. So when it happens, we may make the link with his origins, and think it was actually the cause of such a behavior. Being an Arab and an unsubordinated player is a package.

If you behave well, being an Arab is no problem. If you make one mistake, you’ll hardly have a second chance, when others might. 

When Griezmann makes a mistake, and he did a big one is the past, this does not happen. He is punished, but we think he deserves a second chance. And if he behaves well, then we can move on. This was only fair. We thought it could have been a one-time mistake. In this case there was nothing that could let us believe that this bad behavior was anything structural. As a consequence, he did not become a pariah. Today we all forgot about that incident.

As an Arab, HBA does not have this chance, or has is to a lesser extent. We believe he had fights because he was an Arab. And the problem is that he is still one, and this will not change. So why give him another chance? This is not a matter of temporary behavior. This is a matter of his real nature in people’s eyes. So here, contrary to Griezmann, there is reason to think that this was a one-time mistake. Today, a strong argument that is made against Ben Arfa is that he would not have behaved well as a substitute. He will cause troubles. This belief is due to these stories.  The cause of his assumed bad behavior has not been removed: his origins.

To sum up, if he was not picked, it is not because he is an Arab. It’s because is a pariah. But being an Arab can easily make you so.

Are you French, my friend? I am interested that there is a distinction between "Arabs" and others. If they grew up in France, are they not French too?

Both French and Arabs.

And yes I am French (and also a Nice fan).

Zidane is technically a Berber, isn't he?

Zidane is technically a genius.

By the way, I completely disagree with the way Parky describes France. Not sure if he's trolling though.

Nobody ever knows.

Bit extreme in the way he describes French people, maybe for effect but there is certainly some truth there. Also Paris certainly is not the whole country.

I'd say the issues with Arab communities and the undercurrent of attitudes towards them are very spot on though.

Non story really.. Deschamps fell out with Ben Arfa while both at Marseille and as for Benzema being left out, he is being investigated as an accessory to blackmail.

Or maybe he just doesnt like people with Ben in their name.  :lol:

French love a tournament implosion. Racism this time, very weird.

The French rugby team do it as well, it's almost as if they're a nation of total and utter fannies.

Bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys.