Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Under Keegan or Bobby, my word.

I know nothing of Bobby but Keegan was here right before Benny. The universe wanted it and it all fell apart. We're living on that timeline where everything is shit.

Fuck me that makes me feel old. :lol:

I thought mike was in his 40’s

Under Keegan or Bobby, my word.

I know nothing of Bobby but Keegan was here right before Benny. The universe wanted it and it all fell apart. We're living on that timeline where everything is shit.

Fuck me that makes me feel old. :lol:

I thought mike was in his 40’s

Yup. He's been here for decades but Bobby was still before his time.  :undecided:

One of the (many) things I loved about Hatem was how he would never dive or go down easily. Players would always try and bring him down but he never would take the option of just going to ground, he would try his hardest to get past them and really fight to stay on his feet.

One of the (many) things I loved about Hatem was how he would never dive or go down easily. Players would always try and bring him down but he never would take the option of just going to ground, he would try his hardest to get past them and really fight to stay on his feet.

It's exactly what Messi does and occasionally Ronaldo as well. You have far more potential for causing the opposition bother if you ride challenges and exploit the space left by overcommitted defenders. With Hatem I think it was just that he loved having the ball at his feet so much and he knew if he went down he wouldn't have it any more  :lol:

He was an absolute joy to watch.

It's exactly what Messi does and occasionally Ronaldo as well. You have far more potential for causing the opposition bother if you ride challenges and exploit the space left by overcommitted defenders. With Hatem I think it was just that he loved having the ball at his feet so much and he knew if he went down he wouldn't have it any more  :lol:

He was an absolute joy to watch.

I think that is true. It goes back to him being almost childlike in how he played the game. He got such a buzz from going past people and exciting the crowd that the idea of going down to win a free kick or penalty never even entered his mind.

Is weird to think we've got a generation of fans now that have never known anything but the Ashley Era Newcastle

It's fucking horrible. Imagine genuinely thinking of Newcastle as a bottom half club. Mental.

:lol: I always feel bad when y'all get to reminiscing. The glory days were fucking ages ago.

Because he's not so interested in 'gaining an advantage' as he is in just playing. It's much more fun to ride challenges and dribble than it is to fall over.

It's also much more enjoyable to make the opposition fall over and then rub it in their faces by creating something. It makes the game so much more enjoyable to watch as well.

Is weird to think we've got a generation of fans now that have never known anything but the Ashley Era Newcastle

It's fucking horrible. Imagine genuinely thinking of Newcastle as a bottom half club. Mental.

:lol: I always feel bad when y'all get to reminiscing. The glory days were fucking ages ago.

I'm only mid-30s like, it is the main thing that makes me feel older. When I talk about football to people at work (especially in London) I sound like an absolute madman. Spurs fans think they're better than us FFS.

I'm only mid-30s like, it is the main thing that makes me feel older. When I talk about football to people at work (especially in London) I sound like an absolute madman. Spurs fans think they're better than us FFS.

:lol: They are.

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38] I always feel bad when y'all get to reminiscing. The glory days were fucking ages ago.

[emoji38] They are.

Ye wha? 11 years isn't that long like. The club's have gone in opposite directions obviously, but it's not forever irredeemable if the right owner came in.

You started following us at the worst possible time basically. [emoji38] If you thought you talked about HBA a lot, you'd have been peaking hard over Beardsley and Ginola.

[emoji38] I always feel bad when y'all get to reminiscing. The glory days were fucking ages ago.

[emoji38] They are.

Ye wha? 11 years isn't that long like. The club's have gone in opposite directions obviously, but it's not forever irredeemable if the right owner came in.

You started following us at the worst possible time basically. [emoji38] If you thought you talked about HBA a lot, you'd have been peaking hard over Beardsley and Ginola.

:lol: Answer honestly. When was the last time you seriously expected this club to compete for the title? Whenever that was, that's how long it's been since the team was great.

The right owner is never coming.

[emoji38] They are.

:lol: Answer honestly. When was the last time you seriously expected this club to compete for the title? Whenever that was, that's how long it's been since the team was great.

We came 3rd in 2003, that's not that long ago for us.

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38] They are.

The last time I thought we'd be going for the title was probably 2003 but it's not 'the last time we were great' imo - there was always the potential for us to push on, get the right manager, and attempt to go for the title right up until Ashley bought the club. Even then we had a very good group of players from '11-14 imo - a strongest XI that I'd put slightly below the XI that SBR had. Certainly one that would have been consistently top 5-10 under a manager that knew what he was doing.

If we hadn't sold our best players we could have been looking at a starting XI of the one below at one time or another:

Krul

Debuchy

Williamson :lol:

Coloccini

Enrique

Tiote

Jonas

Cabaye

Ben Arfa

Ba

Remy

[emoji38] They are.

The last time I thought we'd be going for the title was probably 2003 but it's not 'the last time we were great' imo - there was always the potential for us to push on, get the right manager, and attempt to go for the title right up until Ashley bought the club. Even then we had a very good group of players from '11-14 imo - a strongest XI that I'd put slightly below the XI that SBR had. Certainly one that would have been consistently top 5-10 under a manager that knew what he was doing.

If we hadn't sold our best players we could have been looking at a starting XI of the one below at one time or another:

Krul

Debuchy

Williamson :lol:

Coloccini

Enrique

Tiote

Jonas

Cabaye

Ben Arfa

Ba

Remy

That defence has more holes than a lump of swiss cheese, no wonder we shipped goals for fun its crap

[emoji38] They are.

15 years ago, though. Did you overachieve to get 3rd or was 3rd just about right and something to build upon?

I would have said those mid 90's teams were the last time the club was in the conversation for a title.

[emoji38] They are.

15 years ago, though. Did you overachieve to get 3rd or was 3rd just about right and something to build upon?

I would have said those mid 90's teams were the last time the club was in the conversation for a title.

Ive always said that if sir bobby had keegans team/squad we would have won multiple titles in the mid 90s

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38] They are.

It was about right. We genuinely challenged that season and the season before when we were top quite a lot until Bellamy's injury. The '90s was the last time we were very close right until the end, but under SBR we were contenders at the start of each season and in the conversation usually until the new year. In 01-02 though I think we were within a point or a couple of points from the top right up until the start of March when Arsenal beat us.