'B' teams in the Football League

ponsaelius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Probably a big enough thing to be worthy of discussion. Personally I think it's an abhorrent idea but I'd be interested if anybody actually agrees with it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27327502

The creation of a new tier within the Football League to accommodate Premier League B teams is at the heart of the Football Association commission's four-point plan to boost English football.

The review also calls for a ban on non-EU players outside of the top flight and a reduction in non-home-grown players in Premier League squads.

Continue reading the main story

“This is to win the 2022 World Cup, by which time I'll be long gone”

Greg Dyke Football Association chairman

It also wants to develop "strategic loan partnerships" between clubs.

The suggestions come as a response to a lack of available English talent.

In the 2012-13 Premier League season, only 32% of starters qualified to play for England, compared to 69% 20 years ago.

The commission's exhaustive review, headed up by FA chairman Greg Dyke, sets an "ambitious but realistic" target of increasing the number of English players in the Premier League to 45% by 2022.

The report states: "There should be 90 English players playing over 50% of minutes in the Premier League compared with 66 today - of these 30 should be playing in the top six teams in the Premier League compared with the 18 today.

"This is still lower than the figures being achieved in Germany and Spain today but it would take English football back to a figure last achieved in 2000".

The four problem areas identified by the FA commission

Area 1 - Inadequate and insufficient playing opportunities for 18-20 year-old elite players at top clubs.

Area 2 - Regulation of the player market in England is not effective in preserving the desired balance of British, EU and non-EU players in clubs.

Area 3 - Coaching and coach development, essentially at grassroots level, have not yet reached a satisfactory level and impact.

Area 4 - England lags behind in the quantity and quality of affordable grassroots facilities, particularly in the provision of all-weather pitches.

Source: FA Commission report

England manager Roy Hodgson said: "I welcome the proposals. But I am just one voice of many who have contributed to this important study and I hope the debate that has been provoked can lead to some real developments in our game."

The most controversial proposal would be establishing a new League Three in 2016-17, made up of 10 Premier League B teams and 10 from the Conference.

The B team squads would require 20 out of 25 players to qualify for the home-grown rule and no non-EU players would be allowed. Nineteen players would have to be under 21.

The commission also recommended a phased reduction in the number of non-home-grown players in Premier League squads from 17 to 12, reaching their target by 2021.

A cap of two non-EU players per squad has also been proposed, plus a ban on non-EU players outside of the Premier League.

Dyke said: "This decline is a problem in countries right across Europe but is a significantly bigger problem in England than anywhere else - and if the trend continues we fear for the future of the English team.

"This isn't about players even for four years time this is for players for 10 years time, this is to win the 2022 World Cup, by which time I'll be long gone."

The commission - made up of Dyke, Hodgson, Danny Mills, Dario Gradi, Glenn Hoddle, Greg Clarke, Howard Wilkinson, Rio Ferdinand, Ritchie Humphreys and Roger Burden - began work last October and put together the 80-page report after contributions from more than 650 people across all levels of the sport.

We have that in Norway. It's absolute shit and ruins the fun of the lower leagues. Talk here is working towards getting rid of it due to said reasons as it's deterimental to the grassroot clubs.

The whole idea of reaching a specific percentage of English players - as long as the Premier League is driven and operated the way it is, those in power won't give a flying fuck about the nationality of the players as long as they get the best ones. The size of the English contingent will continue to be a reflection of the ability of English players in relation to the rest of the world.

Its just a lesson in how to push up the price of English players further.

What they should do is ban loans for players over the age of 21 and ban inter league loans. The upshot of this is more young English players getting regular football outside of the big 4, rather than sitting in their reserves or being farmed out on loan every season and by reducing the demand for players (if you can't loan them out and have a maximum squad size then you wont buy (or players wont join) you ultimately reduce their price, making them more attractive to more premier league teams (if they are good enough of course)

I'd say England's lower leagues although not great in quality are a stand out feature due to their attendances and history. The bread and butter basically.  If they are tampered with just to accommodate B teams then it's a shocking move imo.

Plus it won't fix the lack of talent. Other nations just seem to have better players than us.

I went with unsure. I don't mind the theory of B teams, but under very specific constraints, so I don't really like their plans at all. I imagine the 10 conference teams are gonna take a battering all year and then 11th place gets promoted? :undecided:

Guest Roger Kint

Stupid idea with all manner of bad consequences for everyone else. Teams like Gateshead have it hard enough to make the league without these arseholes added a meaningless extra tier between them. Plus what happens if the top 6 in league 1 were PL B Teams? Just scrap promotion? Complete farce!

Presumably the Premier League have seen the utter dominance of 2 clubs in Spain (this season aside) and thought they want some of that additional inequality.

Obviously this. It's simple: adopting this will benefit a handful of the top clubs and destroy a very powerful aspect of our game - perhaps the last remaining facet that we can be truly proud of - the strength of the grassroots, and the communities that small clubs provide a focal point for. Or we can choose not to do it.

Stupid idea with all manner of bad consequences for everyone else. Teams like Gateshead have it hard enough to make the league without these arseholes added a meaningless extra tier between them. Plus what happens if the top 6 in league 1 were PL B Teams? Just scrap promotion? Complete farce!

Promotion would go down to the "real" teams, even if they finished 7th.

The main issue is that these teams can field strong/weak sides every other week, meaning that it'll be unfair.

Guest Walter
The commission - made up of Danny Mills, Glenn Hoddle, Howard Wilkinson, Rio Ferdinand...

:jesuswept:

The fact that absolutely no one has anything positive to say about this idea would suggest it's not really a very good one.

:lol:

Exactly this, there really is zero positives and a raft of negatives.

The fact that absolutely no one has anything positive to say about this idea would suggest it's not really a very good one.

It'll probably be the deciding factor in them going with it as well :lol: