'B' teams in the Football League

ponsaelius
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you want to improve the number of coaches in this country I think there needs to be an overhaul of the wages paid out for coaches. I've seen lots of coaching jobs advertised in the past but the wages are an utter pittance that you would struggle to make a living on.

Not too mention

The basic FA Level 1 course is £150, while Level 2 rises to £340. Then comes a steep increase. The standard cost of a UEFA "B" License -- a prerequisite to work at a professional club's academy -- is £990, and it can cost as much as £2,450. In Germany, the cost is €430; in Spain it is €1,100. For the UEFA "A" License, an English coach could pay a maximum of £5,820 -- but in Germany it is €530 and in Spain €1,200. Being a member of the FA's Licensed Coaches' Club (free to join for anyone with a basic Level 1 qualification) brings the cost down by 25 percent but the prices are significantly higher than on the continent and unquestionably difficult for the average person to afford, unless sponsored by a club.

Yup, even in the US where it's a bit of a racket, my level 6 course only cost $150. Next one up, the National Licence is a bit of an increase, though. Jumps to ~$800

I don't like Steve Claridge but he absolutely tore Danny Mills a new one on 5 live last night over this. :thup:

Just been listening to that.

How the fuck did Danny Mills get where he is anyway? Remember him kicking Bellamy up in the air for skinning him next to the corner flag? Loathsome cunt.

Listening to the 5Live thing earlier, I was struck by the unbelievable arrogance of the FA with regards to the England team. Who the hell do they think they are, demanding change to the greatest football structure in the world for the sake of "possibly but probably not winning a World Cup in X years time"?

They're completely out of touch.

"Well that's absolutely fine then, if you don't want to radically change a 100 year old institution that you engage with every single day of your life, don't come running to us crying when a team you only care about every 2 years doesn't win a tournament in 8 years time that they probably aren't going to win anyway"

Ok Danny Mills, I won't.

Incidentally that 5Live thing is worth a listen for the daft cunt who came on saying what a wonderful proposal it was, Claridge asked who he supported, he said "Chelsea and Hampton and Richmond Borough", his argument was that it would be brilliant for the English game because H&RB could get 5-7 Chelsea players and finally get out of the Ryman Premier. Not a hint of irony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/5lfd#playepisode2

Skip to 12:50

Something does need to change but I think it's on the coaching front rather than decimating leagues. English coaches / managers appear to be so far behind foreign managers in terms of tactics, style of play, coaching n motivation. They also don't give a shit about youth players and are shit scared of playing young players.

Guest chopey

I have spent the past couple of days reading the report and I think it looks like a cracking idea, the idea to play the games at a different venue to the home ground could work great for us as we could help Gateshead build a new ground and ground share with them. I would defiantly support NUFC B and I just think people have jumped on the bandwagon that this is a bad idea without actually reading the report.

I have spent the past couple of days reading the report and I think it looks like a cracking idea, the idea to play the games at a different venue to the home ground could work great for us as we could help Gateshead build a new ground and ground share with them. I would defiantly support NUFC B and I just think people have jumped on the bandwagon that this is a bad idea without actually reading the report.

You already support NUFC B, We're waiting for NUFC A.

Players do need a better, more structured way to be able to play away from being stuck in reserves. But I think there is a better way than outright B teams.

Instead of that, there should be some sort of loan/draft system. Here is how it should work:

Every PL club has to pay the Football Association a certain amount of money that is linked to:

Club finances

League position

Number of games played by their English nationality academy products

So Man City may have to give the FA 6 million, and Cardiff ( with some welsh rule exception), contribute £2m to the FA pot. All clubs must give a list of u21 English and Welsh nationals available for loan. Any player aged 19 - 21 that is not made available will be expected to play for the PL club, or sanctions apply.

Clubs in the Championship clubs then submit a bid to the FA to receive a chunk of that pot.

The FA gives the money out to teams based on their ability to take on and develop u21 loan players.

So the winner of this contest gets first pick on the list of loan players and receive a larger chunk of money. This money is only paid however if the loan player plays (or gets injured).

League One and Two clubs then get to pick players from these loan lists they would get less money but be allowed to loan more players.

This works because it encourages lower league clubs to invest in coaching, selecting youth, and playing a better style of football, and disincentives clubs from holding onto young players they won't play.

Listening to the 5Live thing earlier, I was struck by the unbelievable arrogance of the FA with regards to the England team. Who the hell do they think they are, demanding change to the greatest football structure in the world for the sake of "possibly but probably not winning a World Cup in X years time"?

They're completely out of touch.

"Well that's absolutely fine then, if you don't want to radically change a 100 year old institution that you engage with every single day of your life, don't come running to us crying when a team you only care about every 2 years doesn't win a tournament in 8 years time that they probably aren't going to win anyway"

Ok Danny Mills, I won't.

Mills saying if these changes don't happen you'll only see 5% of players in the Premier League being from England and we'll basically never qualify for a World Cup again. What a load of tosh man.

You're missing the point. We know it will work great for teams like Newcastle, Spurs etc etc. That's not why people think it's a bad idea.

Shite idea. Just force the teams to use more English players in their squad / first eleven. They won't do that though because Sky and TV wont pay to broadcast utter shite.

Money should be poured into grassroot level and improving facilities and coaching at base level. Once this is at a decent level pour finance into the next stage, and so on so forth.

Money should be poured into grassroot level and improving facilities and coaching at base level. Once this is at a decent level pour finance into the next stage, and so on so forth.

Far too much like common sense Heza lad.

Far too much like common sense Heza lad.

:lol:

I know. I'm sure you know better from seeing football in a number of countries but whenever I have been abroad the facilities on the continent far outweigh our own.

The very nature of our society is fucking ridiculous. No ball games on grassed areas, and leisure centres outpricing bairns from being able to play. Disgusting man. Boils my piss. Then we whinge about obesity. Give kids somewhere to have a kick aboot and be active, and then you can teach them otherwise. Less money on health issues being spent and a better national team in all sports. Instead we give pre-madonnas ridiculous wages for being mediocre (on a professional level) and create a massive divide between top and low level football. Then local kids don't get coached to a level that would put them anywhere near Premier League standard and such is the divide there is then no desire to play it. Football needs taking back from the businessmen and corporates.

Rant over.

Can't disagree with any of that :thup:

One of the problems with English football seems to me is that there are too many organisations at the top all too interested in their own self gain (FA, PL, FL) and making money rather than working as one to get kids playing the sport and taking it from there.

By the simple law of averages the more kids you get playing football, the more kids you'll have coming through the system.

By the simple law of averages the more kids you get playing football, the more kids you'll have coming through the system.

Listened to a podcast with some Spanish football expert about that yesterday.

Was asked the secret about how either Spain or Argentina keep turning out top players. He claimed there was no secret in the coaching, just that more kids play and the top 10% have a good chance of a career, the top top players in the group can end up being Lionel Messi. Just playing the numbers.

Ajax take similar approach. They have a lot of kids on the books at any one time, lots of individual youth teams, and a very small elite squad that players can be shuffled to if they're good enough.

Once again Germany is the nation to model our youth academies given it's swift turn around in recent years.

Obtaining a licence from the German Football Association is partly dependant on having a set number of  players eligible to play for Germany in the first team squad (I think the number is currently set at eight). On top of this every three years each club's academy is intensely scrutinised to ensure it is fit for purpose. As such German clubs spend a fortune on their academies each year to ensure they attract the best coaches and build the best facilities. If their standard's aren't deemed good enough along with a sound financial plan to back it up their licence is revoked.

They've also massively changed their coaching philosophy. Coaches are expected to scout and develop players with an early emphasis on technical ability as opposed to physical attributes and positions. I read a really interesting article recently (Ill dig it up in a bit) how coaches use 4v4 to develop a player's technical ability until around 16, then they worry about gym work, positions and the rest of it.

I know their licensing depends on other factors such as finance but even if for our academies it's definitely worth considering if we're serious about improving the standard of our national side.