Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Absolutely massive kudos to Perez today, he's really starting to become one of my favourite players.

He grafts and grafts and grafts and, for his small frame, he does his very best at holding up the ball and using his strength cleverly. What he lacks in physicality, he's started making up for in terms of his touch and skill. He does really well at controlling the ball in tight spaces and making something out of it; whether that's finding a man or carrying it away from the opposition. And then off the ball, he's the second-best presser in the side after Diame and that is important.

The co-commentator today was saying that he wasn't impressed with Perez during the second half (prior to the goal), but I thought he did really well.

He deserved his goal and I was delighted for him. Hope he keeps it up because, like basically every single person in the team, he's improved this year and is in great form.

Absolutely agree, think he did well today. Rafa seems to like him, and I can see why.

He's got somewhat of a unique role in the team, in that he's one of the few players allowed to run with the ball, and dribble. He's got the technique for it, and although he's not consistent enough yet, there's no one else in the team who can do the job he does better. SO much of our game right now is about creating space, particularly for Shelvey, and Perez more than once today had two or more players closing him down with the ball at his feet, which I think is exactly what Rafa is looking for. And I think the style Rafa wants to play would benefit so much from having a tank centreforward, which is a slot Slimani hopefully can fill for the remainder of the season.

Always extra delighted when Ayo scores due to the high proportion of absolute divvies in the crowd who forever harangue and slate him.

I love him like. He needs some competition at #10 but worth keeping for sure.

Guest firetotheworks

He was generally as rubbish on the ball as he always is, which is annoying and frustrating, but he's still crucial to the way we play in most other areas of his game until we get someone better. Took his goal really well.

He was generally as rubbish on the ball as he always is, which is annoying and frustrating, but he's still crucial to the way we play in most other areas of his game until we get someone better. Took his goal really well.

I don't agree that he was rubbish on the ball. He often goes down seemingly blind alleys but tends to win a free kick when he does so. He reminds me of Jonas in that way.

Overall, he was a useful outlet, was involved in much of the build up and looked more dangerous when Slimani came on.

Took his goal too casually like his Stoke one

Well done. Just because I labelled one of his goals as too casually taken, idiots like you are now implying that I think that this is a characteristic of his finishing...? (Hence why it keeps getting brought up)

As I said, well done. Impressive.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't agree that he was rubbish on the ball. He often goes down seemingly blind alleys but tends to win a free kick when he does so. He reminds me of Jonas in that way.

Overall, he was a useful outlet, was involved in much of the build up and looked more dangerous when Slimani came on.

Jonas won free kicks, more often than not Perez gets dispossessed and told to get up. Today he won two free kicks that I can remember, but got dispossessed a handful of times. I don't see how anyone can defend his quality in possession anymore like, it's the other stuff he brings that make it worth putting up with. His positioning, closing down, first time passing, off the ball movement, and finishing are all good enough. But more often than not on the ball he's needlessly poor and it's really frustrating. A number 10 is still a very high priority.

I think he's improved on the ball a great deal tbh. His close control has certainly got a lot better and he carries it well.

He was getting disposessed in that second half because they were sticking three men on him.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't want to turn his performance into a negative, I'll just say I think it's the thing he needs to improve upon the most.

Jonas won free kicks, more often than not Perez gets dispossessed and told to get up. Today he won two free kicks that I can remember, but got dispossessed a handful of times. I don't see how anyone can defend his quality in possession anymore like, it's the other stuff he brings that make it worth putting up with. His positioning, closing down, first time passing, off the ball movement, and finishing are all good enough. But more often than not on the ball he's needlessly poor and it's really frustrating. A number 10 is still a very high priority.

Courtesy of whoscored.com:

Screenshot_20180331_200243_Chrome.jpg

WhoScored have tackling down as a weakness for Lascelles, tbf.

I agree that they aren't always spot on, but they have the stats to show that he gets fouled often.

I think that he's a useful outlet, and often relieves pressure by winning a foul. He's not perfect, and rarely looks like scoring if we aren't dominating, but there are several others I'd replace before him and I thought he was especially good today.

I think he is great and love it when he scores winners to shut the knackas up.

Same here. :lol:

:thup: he probably gets the most grief from the crowd out of the usual starting eleven like. The old timers all seem to hate his guts.

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38]

Courtesy of I watched the match.

[emoji38]

I was in the Leazes. Maybe you got a better view.

Guest firetotheworks

I think he is great and love it when he scores winners to shut the knackas up.

Same here. [emoji38]

:thup: he probably gets the most grief from the crowd out of the usual starting eleven like. The old timers all seem to hate his guta.

The old timers and knackers hated Ben Arfa, Robert, and Ginola. [emoji38] I can't even imagine the state they get themselves into with Perez considering the much more obvious weaknesses in his game.

Guest firetotheworks

[emoji38]

What you using Whoscored for then? [emoji38]

[emoji38]

What you using Whoscored for then? [emoji38]

Because you said that he doesn't get fouled much, whereas it's such an obvious aspect of his play to anyone with eyes that it's listed as one of his top four attributes on a stats site.