Fun88

Guest thenorthumbrian

From what I can gather, we're getting the same amount of sponsorship cash for a shorter period.  The alleged £24m coming over 3 years rather than 4.  In comparison, the £6m a season becomes £8m, so just a £2m increase.

Still, enough to pressure wash the stadium now and then.

I always wondered why NFL teams didn't have shirt sponsorship, or other things like pitchside advertising but when you look at these numbers and stack them against the amount of money coming in through the TV deals you realise that it's all kind of peanuts. I would imagine the NFL sells it's TV rights based upon an advertsing free product, where the broadcasters can chose whom they partner with, like the Verizon red zone or the tools to the success presented by Home Depot. It's a whole different approach, I wonder if the PL will eventually go down that route themselves.

Not any time soon I'd reckon. Part of the TV lucrativeness is the NFL has enforced timeouts for commercials and several other opportunities to broadcast them.

The Premier League did take a small leaf out of their book by sacking off the Barclays sponsorship to firm up their branding, and to allow them to splitting out various sponsorship opportunities. Would be a pretty baller move on their behalf to enforce zero shirt sponsorship.

The Premier League did take a small leaf out of their book by sacking off the Barclays sponsorship to firm up their branding, and to allow them to splitting out various sponsorship opportunities. Would be a pretty baller move on their behalf to enforce zero shirt sponsorship.

Haven't the Premier League signed a deal wuth Cadbury for next season? Or are they just part sponsor unlike Barclays who were full sponsors?

Haven't the Premier League signed a deal wuth Cadbury for next season? Or are they just part sponsor unlike Barclays who were full sponsors?

They're just one of many partners. They're getting naming rights for the Golden Boot/Golden Glove awards :lol:

They only did it because no one was willing to pay what they wanted so went down the American route where they are selling loads of different sponsorship deals elsewhere. Only a matter of time before there is an advertisement next to the clock.

Guest neesy111

They only did it because no one was willing to pay what they wanted so went down the American route where they are selling loads of different sponsorship deals elsewhere. Only a matter of time before there is an advertisement next to the clock.

There is.  TagHeuer appears next to it.

Guest chopey

it's AIDS for your browser if you don't have uBlock/ghostery etc enabled.

Wow, what a difference that makes! 

Cheers :)

Me too  O0

From what I can gather, we're getting the same amount of sponsorship cash for a shorter period.  The alleged £24m coming over 3 years rather than 4.  In comparison, the £6m a season becomes £8m, so just a £2m increase.

I always wondered why NFL teams didn't have shirt sponsorship, or other things like pitchside advertising but when you look at these numbers and stack them against the amount of money coming in through the TV deals you realise that it's all kind of peanuts. I would imagine the NFL sells it's TV rights based upon an advertsing free product, where the broadcasters can chose whom they partner with, like the Verizon red zone or the tools to the success presented by Home Depot. It's a whole different approach, I wonder if the PL will eventually go down that route themselves.

You're going to see jersey sponsorships become the norm in the NBA before they start coming off PL shirts. And once the NBA does it you'll likely see the floodgates open with the other American leagues.

You're going to see jersey sponsorships become the norm in the NBA before they start coming off PL shirts. And once the NBA does it you'll likely see the floodgates open with the other American leagues.

No. It's already in MLS. Maybe NHL. Will never happen in baseball. Not needed in the NFL.

it's AIDS for your browser if you don't have uBlock/ghostery etc enabled.

Wow, what a difference that makes! 

Cheers :)

just got ublock - holy f***ing wow!!!!! its amazing.

No. It's already in MLS. Maybe NHL. Will never happen in baseball. Not needed in the NFL.

MLS doesn't count because it's the global norm in the sport. I didn't even realize when I posted the above, but six NBA teams announced yesterday they will have corporate patches on their jerseys next season.

When you say "not needed in the NFL," are you referring to the gobs of money they already make? Since when has that stopped them milking anything they can for every last penny? And now that they may actually commit to shorter commercial breaks to improve the flow of games they are going to be looking for new revenue sources. 

MLS doesn't count because it's the global norm in the sport. I didn't even realize when I posted the above, but six NBA teams announced yesterday they will have corporate patches on their jerseys next season.

When you say "not needed in the NFL," are you referring to the gobs of money they already make? Since when has that stopped them milking anything they can for every last penny? And now that they may actually commit to shorter commercial breaks to improve the flow of games they are going to be looking for new revenue sources. 

Their (the NFL) TV money deal runs through 2022, they won't be scrambling any time soon.

Also I think there would be a huge fan outcry if sponsorship was put on uniforms. Which some may snidely question, given our American unblinking acceptance of it everywhere else in daily life. It's seen as some kind of last bastion of purity though. Won't happen in our lifetimes.

Their (the NFL) TV money deal runs through 2022, they won't be scrambling any time soon.

Also I think there would be a huge fan outcry if sponsorship was put on uniforms. Which some may snidely question, given our American unblinking acceptance of it everywhere else in daily life. It's seen as some kind of last bastion of purity though. Won't happen in our lifetimes.

Never said the NFL would be "scrambling," just that they will be looking to maximize every potential revenue source. The purity thing will definitely come up in baseball, which is why I'm not as sure there, but generally speaking when do any of these leagues really care what fans think?

Unless you're about 97 years old, I disagree that this won't happen in our lifetimes.

Thomas is right.

The outcry in the US would be enormous-- American exceptionalism and all that. (We're still using the inches, feet, and miles remember.)

We're all for capitalism, but you start messing with the uniforms of our sports franchises and people won't have it. Collecting and selling your personal data, that's ok. But putting a corporate logo across the front of a Yankees jersey. That's sacrilege brother.

• 4 years later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10018601/No-betting-firms-sponsor-football-shirts-governments-review-gambling-laws.html

The Government is set to ban betting firms from sponsoring football shirts following its review of gambling laws.

Sportsmail understands that outlawing front-of-shirt logos of gambling companies is almost certain to be one of the proposals included on a white paper to be published this winter.

This season, nine of the 20 Premier League clubs have gambling companies as their front-of-shirt sponsor, as well as another six teams in the Championship. Those deals are estimated to be worth a combined £100million a year.

(There will then be a three-month consultation period before the bill goes to Parliament, meaning any changes affecting sports teams are unlikely to come into effect until 2023 at the earliest.)