The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

How the fuck has this "Will Chelsea go the season unbeaten?" shit worked its way into the general football vernacular?

Presumably it started when some football journalist pondered it after 7 or 8 games, we're still only 11 games in.  I know they've got a great squad but this is ridiculous.

you could base it on the general incompetence of the rest of the league

Not really, sorry - that doesn't answer my question at all.  An English team has only gone unbeaten once in a 20+ team size league in over a hundred years, why did we start talking about this in October?  It's insufferable already and there might be 6 months of it left yet.

They've been away to Man City, Man Utd, Everton and Liverpool. Given Mourinho has lost something like 1 home game, we're relying on Arsenal at the Emirates and not an awful lot else

I'll be really surprised if they go unbeaten all season, it's almost impossible to not take your eye off the ball at least once or twice over the course of a season.

Definitely, just saying looking at it logically you can see why it has been raised.

I know what you mean but I don't think it's logical at all to start talking about it until at least 25 games in, history shows that most teams that win the league lose about 6 games on average and at least a handful.  That Arsenal side were literally a one-off (as things stand).  The reason I say it is because I'm already sick of hearing it.

How the fuck has this "Will Chelsea go the season unbeaten?" shit worked its way into the general football vernacular?

Presumably it started when some football journalist pondered it after 7 or 8 games, we're still only 11 games in.  I know they've got a great squad but this is ridiculous.

you could base it on the general incompetence of the rest of the league

Tripe, man. Give me a team in Europe except Real and possibly Bayern who you'd confidently say would beat them. They've sadly got an absolute dream team of players and are managed by someone who doesn't lose at home and rarely loses away.

Basically because the league is boring, they need to think of something else that will fill column inches and moronic punditry on garbage like Sunday Supplement. And here we have "Chelsea can go unbeaten".

Who knows, they might. But them talking about it just illustrates the lack of other talking points available.