Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

Looked like he was the new Habib Beye... turned into the new habib beye, just less defensively sound. So much promise and looked like he understood the passion of the club. Naturally got pardewed, carvered and then McLarened, probably not surprising he had had enough.

I think a lot of people are looking at this with a tainted view because it looks like he's rejecting us. For his first year, he was arguably our player of the season, looked very useful (more so as an attacking full-back, admittedly) and appeared to be spirited, committed and up for it. His performances have declined as the realisation set in for him that he was playing for a club with no ambition and that he was largely surrounded by dross/people not trying/s*** management. That does not excuse the fact that he allowed the malaise to set in, but let's not pretend that he's a worse player than he is. I would definitely prefer to have Janmaat at RB this season over Anita or Yedlin. Gamez may well be better, I have not seen anywhere near enough of him. I suspect that playing for a team that actually tries to win games/competitions might show him off in a better light.

Spot on. I'm sad to see him go. Janmaat is no world beater but I don't think we're replacing him with a better player sadly.

I think a lot of people are looking at this with a tainted view because it looks like he's rejecting us. For his first year, he was arguably our player of the season, looked very useful (more so as an attacking full-back, admittedly) and appeared to be spirited, committed and up for it. His performances have declined as the realisation set in for him that he was playing for a club with no ambition and that he was largely surrounded by dross/people not trying/shit management. That does not excuse the fact that he allowed the malaise to set in, but let's not pretend that he's a worse player than he is. I would definitely prefer to have Janmaat at RB this season over Anita or Yedlin. Gamez may well be better, I have not seen anywhere near enough of him. I suspect that playing for a team that actually tries to win games/competitions might show him off in a better light.

I'm with you for the most part. I think the vitriol is over the top, I think he's a much better player than he has let on for the last 12 months.

The slight disagreement is in whether we're better off with him, or a shithawk like Yedlin. I'd prefer a committed technically inept speed demon over Janmaat of the last year, which I can only assume is the most likely form of Daryl we'd get should he stay here.

I think he'll probably do well at Watford. Good luck to him.

I heard a Dutch journalist a couple of months ago saying the Holland manager was keen for the Dutch players to leave Newcastle because it was not good for them to have 5 players in the Championship.  Gini and Krul were specifically mentioned but they said they were worried about getting Janmaat out because they did not know if we would let that many leave but they have got their wish now.

I think a lot of people are looking at this with a tainted view because it looks like he's rejecting us. For his first year, he was arguably our player of the season, looked very useful (more so as an attacking full-back, admittedly) and appeared to be spirited, committed and up for it. His performances have declined as the realisation set in for him that he was playing for a club with no ambition and that he was largely surrounded by dross/people not trying/shit management. That does not excuse the fact that he allowed the malaise to set in, but let's not pretend that he's a worse player than he is. I would definitely prefer to have Janmaat at RB this season over Anita or Yedlin. Gamez may well be better, I have not seen anywhere near enough of him. I suspect that playing for a team that actually tries to win games/competitions might show him off in a better light.

I'm not even sure he did reject us, I think Rafa didn't rate him because he was involved in too many poor defensive performances. That's my take on it anyway. I wanted to like him but in the end just didn't trust him to do his job.