Our Summer Transfer Business

Minhosa

Not convinced at all that we've done brilliant business. At the end of last summer, everyone was unhappy with the squad. Since then, all we've done is replace cabaye, debuchy, Ben arfa, remy and gosling with de jong, janmaat, cabella, rivière amd colback.

That first four is going to have to do something special to be as good as the 4 they are replacing.

Ironically, the only one that is a true 'upgrade' on the previous incumbents is actually Colback, who is better than Gosling.

Cabaye > De Jong

HBA > Cabella

Debuchy > Janmaat

Remy >>>>> Riviere

Not convinced at all that we've done brilliant business. At the end of last summer, everyone was unhappy with the squad. Since then, all we've done is replace cabaye, debuchy, Ben arfa, remy and gosling with de jong, janmaat, cabella, rivière amd colback.

That first four is going to have to do something special to be as good as the 4 they are replacing.

Ironically, the only one that is a true 'upgrade' on the previous incumbents is actually Colback, who is better than Gosling.

Cabaye > De Jong

HBA > Cabella

Debuchy > Janmaat

Remy >>>>> Riviere

Based on bias.

Cabaye > De Jong

HBA > Cabella

Debuchy > Janmaat

Remy >>>>> Riviere

Based on bias.

Based > bias

Signing players is great fun isn’t it? So much so that you may even elevate it to something it isn’t, maybe even praise those that have so often failed you in the past for simply doing what needs to be done.

Opinions of Cabella are all positive and his signing looks to be the perfect choice to fill the ever widening hole left by love him or hate him Ben Arfa, and the young Dutch right back is rated highly by my Feyenoord mates from Cabras Feliz, so you know, there’s that. The Colback kerfuffle of whether we tried to offload him to West Ham is irrelevant now, as is his hand gesture during the Derby. I’d prefer that from a player than refusing to celebrate. Remember that chap from Norwich who refused to celebrate against Villa because he nearly signed for them once, now there’s a man going places, born winner that one. As for Ayoze, we’ll see. Check out this on inbedwithmaradona about the lad, and if that doesn’t add intrigue to him it might help those keen to pretend they watch the Spanish second division.

So the story so far all seems quite promising what with the expected addition of another striker or two….but get those horses held.

The manager. He of back-patting-himself-off fame. He who has managed to lose over 50% of his matches as Newcastle manager in four years. He who has managed to lose a higher percentage of games than everyone else in English football other than Stevenage and Fulham in that time. It begs that age-old question of How shit does one have to be before someone thinks, you know, he might be a bit shit.

We’ve been here before with signings. The summer before we finished fifth we signed Cabaye for a fantastically low sum which was a great deal.  Mourinho’s hyperbolically adored Santon for not much more. We nicked Marveaux from under the noses of Liverpool which was sneakily impressive. Demba Ba for nowt, and a January signing to top all January signings when Cisse made the number 9 his own. And Gabriel Obertan.

No prizes for guessing what point I’m making with that list.

Since then we’ve also seen a highly rated, young, league winning captain centre back come from France and play less than half his games in his rightful position. He now looks destined to leave, a reputation in tatters, and some forgetting that the older Coloccini was much worse in his first season. Hell, he might have been worse last season.

So when I see myself and others being labelled negative during these hedonistic days, I find it difficult to not immediately judge the upbringing of those more chipper than I. Creative signings and goalscorers excite people more than any other position so it’s only natural for optimism to build for those still with a glimmer of hope. But for me it’s not negativity, I just can’t look past the failings, excuses, and active pursuit of mediocrity that we’ve endured over these last few years.

We needed to buy players, we had to buy to stay where we are because that squad from last year would have been relegated were it not for one two month period. The problem is that signing anybody has become so alien to us that it has diluted the rationale that we simply had to do it. The fact that they appear to be good deals and good players is not a surprise here, we’ve done that before. So praise for a managing director that was a big part of the team that didn’t sign anyone for 18 months seems utterly bonkers to me. They are doing what needs to be done to fix the mess they created and the fact they seem quite good at it is even more irritating when put up against that barren spell.

I’m struggling to get excited for the new season and they’ve done that, it’s not some negative badge of honour I sadistically write on these pages. It’s that I can’t enjoy what should be an exciting time because the old dogs are still there, still wanting to not win trophies, still not wanting the burden of Europe.

Believe it or not I write a lot more miserably than I feel; I think it’s called a high horse or a soapbox or something, and it’s often fuelled by other opinions, beer, or the local press, particularly those feeling justified that we’ve signed some players after they said we would. Falling into the trap of thinking that being right once holds enough weight to balance the prolonged period of wrong. But scales don’t work like that, for a journalist or a manager.

So forgive me while I merely look on with intrigue at the comings and goings at our club, neither furious nor thrilled, but through sceptical geps, hindsight trumps hope.

http://onbarrackroad.com/

Absolutely spot on and I can't take anyone who thinks differently seriously.

Signing players is great fun isn’t it? So much so that you may even elevate it to something it isn’t, maybe even praise those that have so often failed you in the past for simply doing what needs to be done.

Opinions of Cabella are all positive and his signing looks to be the perfect choice to fill the ever widening hole left by love him or hate him Ben Arfa, and the young Dutch right back is rated highly by my Feyenoord mates from Cabras Feliz, so you know, there’s that. The Colback kerfuffle of whether we tried to offload him to West Ham is irrelevant now, as is his hand gesture during the Derby. I’d prefer that from a player than refusing to celebrate. Remember that chap from Norwich who refused to celebrate against Villa because he nearly signed for them once, now there’s a man going places, born winner that one. As for Ayoze, we’ll see. Check out this on inbedwithmaradona about the lad, and if that doesn’t add intrigue to him it might help those keen to pretend they watch the Spanish second division.

So the story so far all seems quite promising what with the expected addition of another striker or two….but get those horses held.

The manager. He of back-patting-himself-off fame. He who has managed to lose over 50% of his matches as Newcastle manager in four years. He who has managed to lose a higher percentage of games than everyone else in English football other than Stevenage and Fulham in that time. It begs that age-old question of How s*** does one have to be before someone thinks, you know, he might be a bit s***.

We’ve been here before with signings. The summer before we finished fifth we signed Cabaye for a fantastically low sum which was a great deal.  Mourinho’s hyperbolically adored Santon for not much more. We nicked Marveaux from under the noses of Liverpool which was sneakily impressive. Demba Ba for nowt, and a January signing to top all January signings when Cisse made the number 9 his own. And Gabriel Obertan.

Since then we’ve also seen a highly rated, young, league winning captain centre back come from France and play less than half his games in his rightful position. He now looks destined to leave, a reputation in tatters, and some forgetting that the older Coloccini was much worse in his first season. Hell, he might have been worse last season.

So when I see myself and others being labelled negative during these hedonistic days, I find it difficult to not immediately judge the upbringing of those more chipper than I. Creative signings and goalscorers excite people more than any other position so it’s only natural for optimism to build for those still with a glimmer of hope. But for me it’s not negativity, I just can’t look past the failings, excuses, and active pursuit of mediocrity that we’ve endured over these last few years.

We needed to buy players, we had to buy to stay where we are because that squad from last year would have been relegated were it not for one two month period. The problem is that signing anybody has become so alien to us that it has diluted the rationale that we simply had to do it. The fact that they appear to be good deals and good players is not a surprise here, we’ve done that before. So praise for a managing director that was a big part of the team that didn’t sign anyone for 18 months seems utterly bonkers to me. They are doing what needs to be done to fix the mess they created and the fact they seem quite good at it is even more irritating when put up against that barren spell.

I’m struggling to get excited for the new season and they’ve done that, it’s not some negative badge of honour I sadistically write on these pages. It’s that I can’t enjoy what should be an exciting time because the old dogs are still there, still wanting to not win trophies, still not wanting the burden of Europe.

Believe it or not I write a lot more miserably than I feel; I think it’s called a high horse or a soapbox or something, and it’s often fuelled by other opinions, beer, or the local press, particularly those feeling justified that we’ve signed some players after they said we would. Falling into the trap of thinking that being right once holds enough weight to balance the prolonged period of wrong. But scales don’t work like that, for a journalist or a manager.

So forgive me while I merely look on with intrigue at the comings and goings at our club, neither furious nor thrilled, but through sceptical geps, hindsight trumps hope.

Yes, nail on head..

There are still too many weaknesses in the squad - and in the management/coaching dept - for people to get high expectations for the season.

The manager. He of back-patting-himself-off fame. He who has managed to lose over 50% of his matches as Newcastle manager in four years. He who has managed to lose a higher percentage of games than everyone else in English football other than Stevenage and Fulham in that time. It begs that age-old question of How s*** does one have to be before someone thinks, you know, he might be a bit s***.

:thup:

Guest TruToon94

I'm happy. Only real worry is the lack of any CB's coming in especially since MYM looks set to leave.

http://i.imgur.com/FArMNOZ.png

Probably Pardew's first XI if everyone is fit.

Think so too. CF, CB and LB could be much better. Hope Anita over Colback but doubt the King agrees.

our left side looks bad defensively.

It certainly does - all PL managers of any ability will immediately target Santon in that formation...he is more exposed than the Matterhorn peak on a clear day...

The King has a solution for that:

Sub on MOAR LEFT BACKS!!

Cabaye > De Jong

HBA > Cabella

Debuchy > Janmaat

Remy >>>>> Riviere

Based on bias.

No not bias:

Debuchy, stats wise and otherwise has been seen as one of the top-performing right backs in Europe for the past few seasons. France's undisputed number 1, etc etc. Janmaat is younger yes, but is not yet as established nor as proven.

Ditto HBA/Cabella - HBA talent wise is one of the most technically outstanding players of his generation. Cabella has never been talked about in that breath, although albeit has had a good last season. So it's not biased at all, it's fact.

This can all naturally change, given the alternatives and younger and hungrier etc than their predecessors.

:whistle:I wouldn't argue they're upgrades, but they're decent signings. That's something at this point. Cabella is one that will probably turn out to be an upgrade, mainly because he'll actually manage to get a decent amount of starts.

A premier class striker and a dominating centre back and I'd actually be looking forward to starting the season, or at least as much as anyone can while Pardew is still there. Tellingly, neither one looks any closer.

:thup: :clap:

Top stuff from Wullie again imo. Sums up my feelings exacty.

A premier class striker and a dominating centre back and I'd actually be looking forward to starting the season, or at least as much as anyone can while Pardew is still there. Tellingly, neither one looks any closer.

:thup: :clap:

Top stuff from Wullie again imo. Sums up my feelings exacty.

Not mine btw. :)

Guest antz1uk

Shawcross & bony would be perfect

Shawcross & bony would be perfect

Would cost 35milliom plus and despite us having it don't expect us to spend it.

Someone posted that article on facebook and one of the responses:

"Signing 6 players with the promise of more to come has obviously rattled you! Never thought it would happen did you? Been made to look a mug havn;t you? So lets give a big speech to the masses to camaflauge your lack of faith. I thought the likes of you had been quite for a while, but us 'happy clappers' or supporters as I like to call them will get behind our team and roar them on to victory. While you can sit in your room thinking 'but I had it all worked out, how can I redeem myself!' People like you actually wish for failure to prove a mystical point! That's what gets my goat......I hear Chelsea have signed Costa, maybe you should switch allegiance......."

Literally brainwashed, and too thick to think of the bigger picture and think about whats happened before this.

Someone posted that article on facebook and one of the responses:

"Signing 6 players with the promise of more to come has obviously rattled you! Never thought it would happen did you? Been made to look a mug havn;t you? So lets give a big speech to the masses to camaflauge your lack of faith. I thought the likes of you had been quite for a while, but us 'happy clappers' or supporters as I like to call them will get behind our team and roar them on to victory. While you can sit in your room thinking 'but I had it all worked out, how can I redeem myself!' People like you actually wish for failure to prove a mystical point! That's what gets my goat......I hear Chelsea have signed Costa, maybe you should switch allegiance......."

Literally brainwashed, and too thick to think of the bigger picture and think about whats happened before this.

Knuckle dragging supports who help keep us in the dark ages.

Can someone remind this fool we haven't even spent all of the Cabaye & Debuchy money let alone the last two seasons TV money.

I think that's Shayno there.

:pimp:

How many strikers do we bloody want (Cisse, Gouff, Riviere, De Jong, Perez, Armstrong) Considering we will most likely only play with one.

We have a big enough squad (more than teams like Arsenal and Everton FFS)

Focus should be on getting rid of some of the s*** (Obertan, Jonas) and getting the younger lads some regular good football than signing ANOTHER striker.  :hmm:

I think that's Shayno there.

:pimp:

How many strikers do we bloody want (Cisse, Gouff, Riviere, De Jong, Perez, Armstrong)

We have a big enough squad (more than teams like Arsenal and Everton FFS)

Focus should be on getting rid of some of the s*** (Obertan, Jonas) and getting the younger lads some regular good football than signing ANOTHER striker.  :hmm:

:lol: Yeah, depend on an perennially out-of-form striker, a backup striker at best, an unknown quality, an attacking midfielder, and two youngsters to get enough goals.

Bigger squad than Arsenal and Everton ffs. Are you for real? Seems you can't differentiate between quality and quantity.

A proven striker is an absolute necessity atm. Then we can start clearing the unwanted players and send the likes of Armstrong on loan.