Emmanuel Rivière

LRD

The bloke's on a hiding to nothing. Feel quite sorry for him tbh, absolute thankless task to lead this 'line'.

:thup:

The lack of bodies to get forward in support is disgustingly negative and just enhances the problem.

Even Villa got more forward and Lambert isn't exactly the most enterprising of managers.

He's held the ball up reasonably well, and put in a lot of effort, which is good to see. Not much else has happened, but he's not had many good opportunities to score,and the team is still coming together.

I think we'll have a better chance to judge him when he's playing with De Jong, who should be able to link with him better than Gouff or Cabella.

The bloke's on a hiding to nothing. Feel quite sorry for him tbh, absolute thankless task to lead this 'line'.

Lead the line - Even the term should offer a clue as to where we're going wrong.

There's no fucking line to lead. Bloke's up there on his own leading a line of 1. Hardly a miracle that it isn't working.

No question that Pardew's catenaccio tactics will make it hard for any striker, but Riviere is hardly in the Remy class when it comes to getting goals. His record wasn't too great in France and that can hardly be expected to improve in a tougher league like the PL. Remy had the advantages of possessing pace off the mark(something Cisse badly lacks)and the ability to judge balls played behind the last defender...he also had the advantage of having Cabaye behind him.

Riviere possesses none of these attributes, willing enough though he seems to be and he will struggle to score in this side as will many strikers.

Ashley and Co are unwilling to pay big money to secure a decent PL standard forward so goals will be a rare commodity. Strikers are always going to cost the largest outlay in building a team and the fact that the club bosses won't find this cash will be a big problem. Add Pardew to the equation and goal-scoring becomes like climbing Everest....goal-scoring m/f players like de Jong are just the icing on the cake - they can NEVER make up for the lack of a decent striker.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Might just take one game and it'll click. Ba was getting stick, got a hat trick against Blackburn and that was him away.

Hopefully Palace can be Riviere's Blackburn.

Hope you're right but as willing a worker as he seems is he as capable a goalscorer as Ba, I doubt it. 

Took his goal against Shalke well and got a couple of tap ins in the other pre-season games. Jury out, but give him time. Same goes for all the other new players. As Pardew survived the close of last season he'll get until at least Xmas imo. Clear indication last night that Riviere is going to be the main striker for the next few months.

He's quick, deceptively very strong, can lead the line, play up top on his own, seems to have it all apart from …...what i have seen so far he can't shoot ! Which is a bit of a problem for a centre forward. He doesn't seem to know when to pull the trigger and just panics and hoofs it.

Its very very early days and hopefully he improves dramatically but i have serious doubts about his shooting ability already. I want to see Chucky given a go ASAP as he seems to know where the back of the net is which is quite useful for a striker. Pardew seems like he's going to stick with him though which is very worrying.

Against Palace we need to score:

Chucky

De Jong

Gouffran

or Aarons  Colback  Sissoko  Cabella

Dummett Colo  Taylor  Jaanmat

Krul

Perhaps start with Gouffran and bring on Aarons if needs be (obviously i'd have HBA in for Aarons if there was a cat in hells chance). If Chucky doesn't look up to it give Perez or Gouffran a shot up top.

I remember a play the kid made in his first game against City.  He ran down the penalty box, beat a defender to the ball just before it crossed the endline,  holds the defender off, turns and and looks to send the ball back into the box and there wasn't a single Newcastle player in the penalty box.  I was like WTF?  He busts his ass to get the ball and all our other attacking players are staying back in defensive positions?

Might just take one game and it'll click. Ba was getting stick, got a hat trick against Blackburn and that was him away.

Hopefully Palace can be Pardew's equivalent of Souness' Man City away.

I can't do this any more; the whole 'wanting the opposition to win' thing. It was doable during that six-game losing streak cos it seemed actually possible that Pardew might lose his job. He simply isn't going to. It isn't going to happen so we need to get used to it. What more evidence do people need that proves he is going to be here as long as Ashley is? I've defaulted back to wanting us to win because I fear, if I make a habit out of actively wishing defeat on Newcastle, my interest and love for the club will be irreparably damaged.

Lead the line - Even the term should offer a clue as to where we're going wrong.

There's no fucking line to lead. Bloke's up there on his own leading a line of 1. Hardly a miracle that it isn't working.

He needs to lead the line and then bang one in from nowhere while the rest of the line watches from their own half basically.

He had Best doing a decent bit of donkey work. And Yohan Cabaye feeding some bullets. Riviere I fear isn't as talented nor has the support.

He's quick, deceptively very strong, can lead the line, play up top on his own, seems to have it all apart from …...what i have seen so far he can't shoot ! Which is a bit of a problem for a centre forward. He doesn't seem to know when to pull the trigger and just panics and hoofs it.

Its very very early days and hopefully he improves dramatically but i have serious doubts about his shooting ability already. I want to see Chucky given a go ASAP as he seems to know where the back of the net is which is quite useful for a striker. Pardew seems like he's going to stick with him though which is very worrying.

Chucky

De Jong

Gouffran

Krul

Perhaps start with Gouffran and bring on Aarons if needs be (obviously i'd have HBA in for Aarons if there was a cat in hells chance). If Chucky doesn't look up to it give Perez or Gouffran a shot up top.

Dummett? :lol:

I remember a play the kid made in his first game against City.  He ran down the penalty box, beat a defender to the ball just before it crossed the endline,  holds the defender off, turns and and looks to send the ball back into the box and there wasn't a single Newcastle player in the penalty box.  I was like WTF?  He busts his ass to get the ball and all our other attacking players are staying back in defensive positions?

Of course they are. Can't try and score a goal man. What if counter attack!

Hopefully Palace can be Pardew's equivalent of Souness' Man City away.

I can't do this any more; the whole 'wanting the opposition to win' thing. It was doable during that six-game losing streak cos it seemed actually possible that Pardew might lose his job. He simply isn't going to. It isn't going to happen so we need to get used to it. What more evidence do people need that proves he is going to be here as long as Ashley is? I've defaulted back to wanting us to win because I fear, if I make a habit out of actively wishing defeat on Newcastle, my interest and love for the club will be irreparably damaged.

I'm at the point where I still kind of want us to win while I'm actually watching the game but when we inevitably don't it doesn't bother me too much as it might just mean something changes.

Basically there's no real highs or lows anymore, which is shit.

Chucky

De Jong

Gouffran

Krul

It's hard to say at the moment. I've seen Riviere scuffing his shot a couple of times, but in each case, it's been on his weaker foot, and he's really had to fight to create the shooting opportunity. Nerves may be kicking in as well, like he's trying too hard. Other aspects of his game have been pretty good, and shooting is one skill that I think can be effectively worked on.

Pitching Chucky in at this stage feels like panic, as though anybody's got to be better. I suspect as well that there are fitness issues with Chucky at the moment.