Wellington Phoenix 0-1 Newcastle United - BT Sport 1

LRD

How did West Ham lose both of these games? :lol:

Got to say, the opposition in both games was far better than I was expecting. Both teams passed the ball better than us, but were let down by poor finishing and poor goalkeeping.

You what? Sydney looked like a frigging Sunday morning team.

Was gonna say, they were total bobbins

Guest bimpy474

I didn't watch it, but reading through the match thread someone mentioned that Gouffran had gone up front when De Jong went off. But I should have known better.

Not any stage imo mate, When De Jong went off was the time we changed to 4-2-3-1, and Gouff went down the right of the 3.

The one thing i would say that was different than usual. The players did rotate positions a bit, it wasn't as rigid as Pardew usually has it.

Really frustrating that the likes of Aarons, Perez and so on will never be seen again when the season starts then be blamed for an early round cup defeat by the coward.

We either need new players or these get a chance. One or the other really, particularly if we're still talking in the forward positions.

I was at the game and a lot of the time I had no fucking clue what was going on with the formation. Wellington did really well putting on the match, all the traditional maori/haka elements were great (I hope they were shown on TV).

Ours fans were great. I have no idea where they all came from. So many of them compared to the west ham and even sydney fans.

Only downside was the odd neutral in the Newcastle section. One fulham fan behind me yelled at Colo 'Get your hair cut you dirty slob!'. Everyone was is disbelief that this cunt was in the middle of a few thousand Newcastle fans slagging off our captain. I almost seen red mist.

Aarons and Perez were stand outs for me.

Guest bimpy474

Aren't the random sweat patches because the players have those bra like things on underneath with the heart monitors in.

"The younger players had to come on, not in a position of being 3-0 up like they were against Sydney, and had to play a very different game.

"They had to be conservative and make sure we won, and they couldn't have done that any better.

"There were some really nice cameos - Ayoze (Perez) and Arma (Adam Armstrong) in particular were outstanding for the periods they were on the pitch.

"You've got to remember this was a massive game for Wellington, and the effort and commitment they put in was unbelievable. It was a really tough game for us and a great result."

I saw the 1hr highlights and it was a fairly typical Newcastle display. Compact and busy without really threatening their goal from open play. Haidara was good, Colback looks to have good feet and awareness as I thought, and Peroze looks to have some real quality about him. We desperately missed a genuine front man though.

Guest bimpy474

How did Abeid play? Looks like we will be keeping him this year?

Alright, always wanted the ball.

Started nervously but was more composed as the game went on - neat and tidy without doing much else. Played him very deep though, which seems strange for a lad who scored loads from midfield in Greece.

Started nervously but was more composed as the game went on - neat and tidy without doing much else. Played him very deep though, which seems strange for a lad who scored loads from midfield in Greece.

Yeh he was the deepest midfielder, with colback and gouffran ahead of him. I would prefer to see him further up the pitch.