Newcastle United 3-2 Reading - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

It was a good win, hard fought, and I'm quite happy with the way we played.

We had a sh!t ten minutes, and I was quite concerned, and didn't think we'd be able to fight back, but we came right back in the second half. Babayaro was majorly at fault for their second, but he really improved in the second half.

Fuck knows what Citeh were doing with Sibierski. With these last two games he's had in the league, it's become apparent that he's not just a big lunk who can work hard, win headers and score the odd cup goal, he's actually a good player. Dunno if it was because they were playing him in midfield or what, but he's got nearly as many for us now as he ever scored for them.

His link up play with Martins is excellent as was his composure for the goal that wasn't.

He looks much better without the leg-iron dragging him down to his level.

3 goals scored and chances created ( although missed ) without the 'hero' in the team.

Jesus, give it a rest.

Come back to me when Emre and Butt have done the business away from home against a proper team next Wednesday, eh?

Fuck knows what Citeh were doing with Sibierski. With these last two games he's had in the league, it's become apparent that he's not just a big lunk who can work hard, win headers and score the odd cup goal, he's actually a good player. Dunno if it was because they were playing him in midfield or what, but he's got nearly as many for us now as he ever scored for them.

His link up play with Martins is excellent as was his composure for the goal that wasn't.

Some players rise to a challenge and Le Sib is clearly one of them.  He was in a great position as everyone had written him off

when we got him.  Score an important goal, gain some confidence/belief and it's off to the races.  I think at this rate he's capable

of doubling his current goal figure come season's end.

I'm so fucking happy at the moment! couldn't see the game, was working. had updates on me mobile and was truly gutted when we went 2-1 down. Never been in a worse situation than that, having to be nice to costumers while we're down, it was really hard. But then, when i got that lovely text saying 3-2 Emre, I didn't know what to do! haven't been this happy for a long long time! :D :D

we played ok considering we had a very depleted team,then again it was reading at home.just about deserved the win in what would have been a great game for the neutral.

for those who "booed" babayaro,do you think,mid game,it will help him play better,and did you boo n'zogbia and milner who played a damn sight worse than him ?

My views:

Given- 6 Didn't have a great deal to do in the game apart from one save. Poor distribution.

Solano- 7 Leadership along the back four and a good assist.

Taylor- 7 Coming on game by game, good communication and spirit.

Ramage- 7 You can tell these two have played together in the reserves. I say let them play and flourish together.

Baba- 5 Poor performance and at fault for the goal. It's becoming apparent that left back is our weakest area. Boos were too much IMO.

Milner-6 One of his poor peformances for us, failed to show much threat.

Butt- 9 Absolute collosous. The guy is turning himself for zero to hero, keep it going butt.

Emre- 8 His forreging liitle runs are a joy to behold. Hope he can more like today, what a belta!!!!!!!!

N'Zogbia- 7 Worked his socks off, needs to try and beat his man and stay wide though. Get more crosses in!

Sibierski- 8 Good touch, good work rate good goal. Cult hero in the making.

Martins- 7 In my eyes he got everything but the goal in open play. Linked with sib well on the floor but not so well in the air. Showed confidence by scoring a good penalty.

Newcastles performance: Glenn picked the side i wanted him to and we won but only because of good character. First time we have scored 3 goals this season i believe? More please!

Readings performance: Very hard working side, it's not hard to see why they are doing so well. They just grind out results.

Verdict: If we had readings spirit we would be challenging in the european spot right now.

MOM: Butt

My views:

Given- 6 Didn't have a great deal to do in the game apart from one save. Poor distribution.

Ramage- 7 You can tell these two have played together in the reserves. I say let them play and flourish together.

Baba- 5 Poor performance and at fault for the goal. It's becoming apparent that left back is our weakest area. Boos were too much IMO.

Butt- 9 Absolute collosous. The guy is turning himself for zero to hero, keep it going butt.

Emre- 8 His forreging liitle runs are a joy to behold. Hope he can more like today, what a belta!!!!!!!!

N'Zogbia- 7 Worked his socks off, needs to try and beat his man and stay wide though. Get more crosses in!

Martins- 7 In my eyes he got everything but the goal in open play. Linked with sib well on the floor but not so well in the air. Showed confidence by scoring a good penalty.

Newcastles performance: Glenn picked the side i wanted him to and we won but only because of good character. First time we have scored 3 goals this season i believe? More please!

Readings performance: Very hard working side, it's not hard to see why they are doing so well. They just grind out results.

Verdict: If we had readings spirit we would be challenging in the european spot right now.

I thougt there was a helluva lot of crap in this thread until i read this, which pretty much is dead on accurate.

My views:

I agree, mate.  By the sounds of it we clawed back into it with some gritty work, though.

Guest Ridzuan

Havnt watched the match yet so I dont know how well we performed.But seeing from the statistics from the game,we clearly had more chances than them but they had more possesion than us,but it doesnt matter because in the end,we won the game.I heard the second goal was Baba's fault,he slipped or something? And we had a good goal disallowed.But I think it the penalty justify the decision to disallow the goal.Cant wait to see Emre's goal.It should be a cracker.Whether its 2-1 or 3-2,Im just happy and relieved that we finally are out of the relegation zone.Hope this good run of form will continue.And 48,000 is not bad either.  :thup:

Admittedly only saw the highlights, but I can't see how some are saying that it was a lucky win, thought overall Newcastle were the better team and deserved it.

We were definitely the most dangerous and effective team - we had less possession but did more with it than Reading. saying that, there was a 10 minute spell before HT when we collapsed and Reading were murdering us, as well as a short spell after HT where we were chasing shadows.

I only watched the second half thanks to some fine work by Foxtel's programming department - and when I turned it on at 1-2 down I nearly went back to bed!

Penalty was soft as shite - Reading have every reason to be livid, but then so do we about Le Sib's disallowed goal (BTW soccernet's match report says that Stiles told Roeder it wasn't for offside but an earlier infringement - WTF?!? Where?)

I can only comment on second half performances, but for me Milner was utterly anonymous and we were very shaky at the back. On the plus side Solano, Emre, Butt and Le Sib all looked very good, and Oba put in a good shift although as has been said has areas of his game that need improving.

The best part was that on occasions we played some good footbal with neat, quick passes especially involving Emre and the strikers. I've given up hope of playing at a more reasonable pace, but if we're going to play at this manic, frantic breakneck speed we can at least aim to keep it on the deck for 90 minutes - we have the ability!

3 goals scored and chances created ( although missed ) without the 'hero' in the team.

Jesus, give it a rest.

Come back to me when Emre and Butt have done the business away from home against a proper team next Wednesday, eh?

Truth hurts, don't it.

Given 5 - must be hard playing behind a back four containing absolute wank like Babayaro.

Nobby 6 - our formwe Best Right Winger is now our Best Right Back. Intelligent play. To all those who (wrongly) think Shambles can pass the ball - THAT is proper passing.

Taylor 4 - Not his best game, but still fewer fuck ups than Moore or Shambles.

Ramage 5 - Not too bad. trying to marshall the defence at times. Good job, cos Given won't.

Babayaro 2 - Didn't fuck it up royally EVERY time, so gets two marks. Awful player.

Milner 6 - Some poor passing at time, but undoubtedly our best right winger.

Butt 7 - Good game. Very few errors, and got all over the midfield.

Emre 7 - Seemed to be drifting out of the game (usually his trick in Away games), but picked up again. Lovely goal.

The Zog 4 - Poor game by his standards. Not helped by that pile of Nigerian shite behind him.

Martins 5 - Who is his Ball Control coach, Ameobi? Very fast, but yet to show £10m value.

Sibgierski 6 - more than just the journeyman pro we thought? Maybe. Not a top class player, but gets in the right places, and can control a football. Far, far better than Ameobi.

Jesus, give it a rest.

Truth hurts, don't it.

Actually saw the match live last night (cheers offshore!) and really enjoyed it. Atmosphere was allright and we gave the team a good kick up the arse in the second half which eventually brought the equaliser.

The things that stuck out:

We are capable of good slick passing football and looked shit hot at times.

Our defense (Ramagae/Baba) were woefull and make too many simple mistakes.

Heres my ratings:

Given 7- Wrongfooted for the first goal. apart from that didn't do much wrong.

Solano 7- Should have been quicker to the guy who scored their goal, didn't close him down or try and block the shot. Sublime cross for the goal (sibs). Great distribution from the back and always a good outlet.took pressure off defence many a time. F##k off Carr...

Taylor 8 - I was impressed, won all his stuff in the air and was bossing the players in the defense.

Ramage 6- Didn't play too badly to be honest but his distribution is awful and you get the sensation that the football is really a HOT POTATO when it falls at his feet!!!

Babayaro 5- That air kick was sunday league. second to the ball a lot. Ring rusty or just sh##e??

Milner 6- Tried hard but his first touch and his ball control let him down a lot.

Emre 8.5 - Best game I've seen him pl;ay, good in attack and tracked back and defended well. What a goal!

Butt 9- Roll out the cliches... every blade of grass, engine room, backbone..etc..etc.

Zoggy 6- Really looks out of sorts and didn't track back and defend much. Normally seems quite robust but didn't do a lot. Had a good last 15 minutes and had a couple of chances to put someone in score... Should have been subbed on 60 mins.

Sibs 8.5- Worked his socks off, got a goal, won a lot of headers and held the ball up well when needed to. Impressed!

Martins 7- Needs to get his foot in a bit more and needs to hassle defenders "a la Bellamy", I thought on at least three occasions he could have got to a 50/50 ball and there were too many times when he could have pressurized a defender and maybe have got a loose ball or forced a bad pass... Snatched his chances a bit. Needs to get closer to sibs when we launch the long balls up field, how many times were they at other side of the pitch to each other and sibs headers went straight to an opposition defender????

Roeder 7.5 - Should have had zoggy off in second half.