Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Here is a Palace fan on another forum I go on, and here is my response.

^^^

Paul Merson has just taken the words out of my mouth on SSN. Newcastle fans expectations are ridiculously high.

I expect us to finish bottom, Pardew  literally cannot disappoint me.

This last week has been a big hoot for us watching Merson.

He says we only want a Geordie as a manager, erm I can't think of one who is wanted by the supporters, Bruce?, don't be silly.

He says we hate Londoners, Houghton was well liked, Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand, all people from London, all liked by supporters up here.

He says clubs who aren't going to win the league should focus on the cups, have you seen Pardew's record here?

There is so much more shit that the guy how spouted in the last week, honestly there isn't a reason why Newcastle fans shouldn't take legal action against him for the slander he's spread. In fact an NUFC forum I'm a member of are actually in the process of making an official complaint about him to Sky, not that it will do any good.

Do Newcastle fans expect to be winning the league and cups?, no, do we expect to be in the CL places?, no. I tell you what we do expect though, we expect to compete, we want to attack teams and play good football. With Pardew we sat back in every game, with Pardew he actively sent us out to go out of the cups.

I love it when a fan from another club who probably hasn't seen much aside from the 2 minutes of highlights of MOTD we get every week come out and talk about us, saying what our expectations are etc. Maybe you have it right though, maybe all we do think is that we are 20 points ahead at the top of the league, maybe the other day when I was at the Burnley match I walked back to my car ******* devastated that we didn't lose 4-3, because we all know how much we would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0. A myth born out of 2 games that actually broke the hearts of every single Newcastle fan at the time, but we ******* loved it because we didn't win 1-0.

Ok fair enough you expect to finish last, and anything above that will be a bonus, including just staying up. Lets say you do go down, well look at West Ham and Charlton who he took down. It took 2 years for West Ham to come back up and even then that was via the last place in the play offs with what was arguably the best squad in the Championship. With Charlton the slide just continued and eventually he was sacked. So if you go down will you accept mid table mediocrity in the Championship?

Lets say you stay up which considering you still have some decent players and Pardew hasn't fully integrated himself into the club it's still a decent possibility. Lets say you survive every year?, how many seasons will it take for you to then want to move on?, to then want to play attacking football (Pardew has already said that you are going to be playing more direct)?

Pardew may well keep you up, but he'll not take you to the next level, and considering you finished in mid table and just behind us last season I don't see why you can't get a manager who will be able to do that.

Believe it or not but I think Palace are good enough to stay up and probably should be staying up, you really shouldn't be lowering your expectations so low.

^^^

Paul Merson has just taken the words out of my mouth on SSN. Newcastle fans expectations are ridiculously high.

This last week has been a big hoot for us watching Merson.

He says we only want a Geordie as a manager, term I can't think of one who is wanted by the supporters, Bruce?, don't be silly.

He says we hate Londoners, Houghton was well liked, Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand, all people from London, all liked by supporters up here.

He says clubs who aren't going to win the league should focus on the cups, have you seen Pardew's record here?

There is so much more shit that the guy how spouted in the last week, honestly there isn't a reason why Newcastle fans shouldn't take legal action against him for the slander he's spread. In fact an NUFC forum I'm a member of are actually in the process of making an official complaint about him to Sky, not that it will do any good.

Do Newcastle fans expect to be winning the league and cups?, no, do we expect to be in the CL places?, no. I tell you what we do expect though, we expect to compete, we want to attack teams and play good football. With Pardew we sat back in every game, with Pardew he actively sent us out to go out of the cups.

I love it when a fan from another club who probably hasn't seen much aside from the 2 minutes of highlights of MOTD we get every week come out and talk about us, saying what our expectations are etc. Maybe you have it right though, maybe all we do think is that we are 20 points ahead at the top of the league, maybe the other day when I was at the Burnley match I walked back to my car ******* devastated that we didn't lose 4-3, because we all know how much we would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0. A myth born out of 2 games that actually broke the hearts of every single Newcastle fan at the time, but we ******* loved it because we didn't win 1-0.

Ok fair enough you expect to finish last, and anything above that will be a bonus, including just staying up. Lets say you do go down, well look at West Ham and Charlton who he took down. It took 2 years for West Ham to come back up and even then that was via the last place in the play offs with what was arguably the best squad in the Championship. With Charlton the slide just continued and eventually he was sacked. So if you go down will you accept mid table mediocrity in the Championship?

Lets say you stay up which considering you still have some decent players and Pardew hasn't fully integrated himself into the club it's still a decent possibility. Lets say you survive every year?, how many seasons will it take for you to then want to move on?, to then want to play attacking football (Pardew has already said that you are going to be playing more direct)?

Pardew may well keep you up, but he'll not take you to the next level, and considering you finished in mid table and just behind us last season I don't see why you can't get a manager who will be able to do that.

Believe it or not but I think Palace are good enough to stay up and probably should be staying up, you really shouldn't be lowering your expectations so low.

:milner:

Guest neesy111

Can someone else join the Aussie Mags page and give me a fucking hand, please? Fuck sake, man.

I'm on there but most are a bunch of idiots.

my mate who I went to matches with for about ten years from 90 upwards (don`t see him nowadays) has been pretty quiet about the whole thing whilst going to pretty much all the awaydays,posted on fb last night `wasn`t ideal but lets see how we get on without him now,the big boys are not exactly queueing up for the gig`. I must admit I gave him both barrels and felt bad about it,but he has been swept away by the southern media and can`t see what`s happenin before his eyes,just keeps on repeating the mantra,who better could we get under Ashley?  :p :rant:

Unless Ashley decides to use the appointment to change his approach - it's a genuine concern.

On league finishes - Pardew was okay.

As far as league finishes go it was one very good season, one very bad, two bare minimum acceptable.  But like everyone here knows the problem isn't simply league position given the squad he has.  For a start he actively worsens the squad available.  I don't see it as a genuine concern personally.  I mean ok I suppose you could say I'm concerned we might get another shit manager but not in the respect that I'm worried he'll be even worse than keeping king cretin or even as bad.  Even the worst manager would be no worse result wise but hard pressed to be as odious and intolerable to watch.

Unless Ashley decides to use the appointment to change his approach - it's a genuine concern.

As far as league finishes go it was one very good season, one very bad, two bare minimum acceptable.  But like everyone here knows the problem isn't simply league position given the squad he has.  For a start he actively worsens the squad available.  I don't see it as a genuine concern personally.  I mean ok I suppose you could say I'm concerned we might get another s*** manager but not in the respect that I'm worried he'll be even worse than keeping king cretin or even as bad.  Even the worst manager would be no worse result wise but hard pressed to be as odious and intolerable to watch.

You spent a couple sentences to just agree with me.

Just in the league - we could do worse. Definitely.

^^^

When Paul Merson starts taking the words right out of your mouth its really time to take stock and realise you couldn't be more wrong :lol:  They'll learn though and its going to be painful, well deserved! :D

^^^

When Paul Merson starts taking the words right out of your mouth its really time to take stock and realise you couldn't be more wrong :lol:  They'll learn though and its going to be painful, well deserved! :D

Even if expectations are bottom, Pardew will still surprise when they are bottom of league 1 :)

Genuinely ignorant and lazy "media" people like Merson put the words in people's mouths, not the other way round. He'll have brainwashed many, many more people with his drunken ramblings today. People like that could say the sky is green and it'd become fact because having your own opinion is so much hard work.

His qualifications to be on that show are simply him saying "Spowny" once a fortnight.

As far as league finishes go it was one very good season, one very bad, two bare minimum acceptable.  But like everyone here knows the problem isn't simply league position given the squad he has.  For a start he actively worsens the squad available.  I don't see it as a genuine concern personally.  I mean ok I suppose you could say I'm concerned we might get another s*** manager but not in the respect that I'm worried he'll be even worse than keeping king cretin or even as bad.  Even the worst manager would be no worse result wise but hard pressed to be as odious and intolerable to watch.

You spent a couple sentences to just agree with me.

Just in the league - we could do worse. Definitely.

I'm not agreeing though, like I just said IMO the worst manager wouldn't do any worse results wise.  My only concern is how much better the replacement will be, not if he might be worse.  Just my opinion, nothing can really concern me anymore after 4 years of Pardew.