Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Alan Pardew's Departure Broke Newcastle

It doesn't seem like too long ago that Newcastle were exciting Premier League fans, pushing for the top four with exciting young players guiding them to six consecutive wins. Even after their win streak was snapped, they managed a huge upset win over Chelsea before getting buzzsawed by Arsenal in their next match. It seemed that they had positioned themselves well to be a factor down the stretch.

Then Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace just before the new year, and many fans celebrated the departure of a manager that Newcastle had frequently struggled under. Since he left, though, everything has gone straight to hell.

In seven league matches since Pardew's departure under caretaker John Carver, Newcastle have just one win, a 3-0 victory over a very poor Hull City side who had already dropped two straight heading in to that match. Newcastle have lost three of their matches under Carver, including Saturday's humbling 5-0 drubbing courtesy of Manchester City. In all, Newcastle have picked up just six points and scored nine goals since Pardew ran away from the club, giving up 14 goals in the process.

It's almost as though everything that was working under Pardew has evaporated since his departure. Perhaps there's some merit to more of Newcastle's successes this season being down to Pardew than the squad, given that he's lifted Crystal Palace to three wins in six, including a win over Tottenham Hotspur in his first match -- though Pardew could only manage a draw at home when his new side faced off against Newcastle two weeks ago.

What's happened to Newcastle since Pardew left, though? Despite Carver's efforts to play more organized football and hit hard on the counter, a tactic that suits his squad in theory, Newcastle have often been too easy for opponents to pick apart in the last two months, with Vurnon Anita or Jack Colback too often far out of position in midfield, or fullbacks Daryl Janmaat and Massadio Haïdara too high up the pitch and unable to help when Newcastle lose possession. Without support from the midfield pivot and fullbacks, Fabricio Coloccini and Michael Williamson wind up exposed and overwhelmed in central defense.

Even when Newcastle's players are in position to help, it's seemed like they too often go to sleep or shut down in the middle of a run of play, getting bypassed entirely or, worse, getting sucked to the ball and not tracking the real danger of a run in behind. It's not something all of their opponents have been able to exploit lately, but Manchester City's talented attack ruthlessly exposed the flaw time and time again on Saturday.

If Newcastle's attack was playing effectively, those issues might not matter quite so much, but it really hasn't been. Despite a passable nine goals in seven matches under Carver, six of those goals were scored in two matches. Leading scorer Papiss Cisse has scored just once in four league matches since returning from Africa Cup of Nations, and has provided little in the way of attacking influence outside of that goal.

The rest of the Magpies' attacking core hasn't really fared any better. Ayoze Perez has cooled off significantly from his hot spell earlier in the season, and has frequently been isolated and uninvolved of late. The same goes for Remy Cabella, though not for lack of effort on his part; Cabella has repeatedly been able to make good runs in to the final third, but no one on the ball has picked up their head to find him with a pass in behind the defense. The culprit in that has too often been Yoan Gouffran, who outside of two goals scored in January has been very poor under Carver.

Newcastle are still in a decent position in the league despite their struggles, sitting in 11th place with a four-point cushion on Everton after the weekend's results. Should their problems continue, that could quickly change -- the gap between Everton in 12th and Sunderland in 16th is only three points. The difference between comfortably mid-table and "oh my god we're only a few points clear of the relegation zone" is very narrow right now, and Newcastle fans could be sweating bullets by the end of March thanks to a tough run of matches coming up that includes visits from Manchester United and Arsenal.

If Newcastle can't find whatever it was that had them playing well under Alan Pardew earlier this season, they could soon be looking at his departure and wondering why they felt they could be happy with his departure. If anything, Pardew jumping ship was a sign of impending doom, a doom that's looking harder to avoid by the week.

and the rebuttal...

Newcastle's poor form and Alan Pardew's defection to Crystal Palace may coincide, but there's no cause and effect relationship here.

Yesterday, the mother ship posted an article blaming Newcastle's recent run of poor form on Alan Pardew's departure.

If you're reading this and you're a Newcastle fan, I'll give you a second to stop laughing.

It's not a surprise that fans of other teams might attribute the Toon's most recent slump to the change in management. We are delusional, after all, or so the narrative goes. It's also pretty convenient to point to the five-game winning streak earlier in the season, or the fifth place finish three years ago. But that ignores the larger body of work and the context of what happened at this very time last year.

You'll recall that Newcastle had a rather horrific finish last season, or maybe you wouldn't if you just glanced at the table. They finished in 10th, after all. The entire staff got top-half bonuses! Never mind that on Boxing Day, they were in 6th place, and that from that point on, they only earned 16 points from 20 matches, good for worst in the entire Football League, and that they conceded 36 goals in that time, also worst in the entire Football League. They had three separate losing streaks of at least 3, and one of those reached 6. Six losses in a row! Over the course of those 20 matches, they scored more than 1 goal just three times.

That they finished 10th last year is not a positive commentary on Newcastle's play. It is an indictment, rather, of the bottom half of the Premier League. Sure, they had to go on a good run to get to sixth in the first place, but the inconsistency that has plagued Newcastle is just one of Alan Pardew's hallmarks.

It's not surprise that this has continued under John Carver, a Pardew disciple who has done little to change policy or culture during his tenure. No, this is a repeat of what we saw when Pardew was here, or perhaps more accurately, when he was sitting in the stands relaying instructions through a walkie-talkie because he made the decision to headbutt a player on the pitch.

The reasons for Newcastle's poor spring performances are myriad, but a large part of it was Pardew's failure to inspire his troops when they had nothing to play for. Carver has not been successful in this regard either, but his failure does not exonerate Pardew's.

Pardew's departure did not break Newcastle. It was already broken. You might even say that he broke it and left.

This guy gets it, at least.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/dynamic/01121/NIP000142651859_19_1121971k.jpg

"There's a old London term - "dickhead", used to describe the absolute best at what they do. Heard a few of the lads say that about me the other day at training. They said it quiet, like, kind of giggled, must not have wanted me to know how much they respect me. Anyway, Bolasie is an top drawer dickface, er dickhead."

Easy enough to discredit that article right from the start:

It doesn't seem like too long ago that Newcastle were exciting Premier League fans, pushing for the top four with exciting young players guiding them to six consecutive wins. Even after their win streak was snapped, they managed a huge upset win over Chelsea before getting buzzsawed by Arsenal in their next match. It seemed that they had positioned themselves well to be a factor down the stretch.  Then Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace just before the new year, and many fans celebrated the departure of a manager that Newcastle had frequently struggled under. Since he left, though, everything has gone straight to hell.

We were sitting 10th when Pardew left with 7 points from our last 7 matches.  We're now 11th with 6 points from our last 7 matches, yeah went right to hell when Pardew left like :lol:

Easy enough to discredit that article right from the start:

It doesn't seem like too long ago that Newcastle were exciting Premier League fans, pushing for the top four with exciting young players guiding them to six consecutive wins. Even after their win streak was snapped, they managed a huge upset win over Chelsea before getting buzzsawed by Arsenal in their next match. It seemed that they had positioned themselves well to be a factor down the stretch.  Then Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace just before the new year, and many fans celebrated the departure of a manager that Newcastle had frequently struggled under. Since he left, though, everything has gone straight to hell.

We were sitting 10th when Pardew left with 7 points from our last 7 matches.  We're now 11th with 6 points from our last 7 matches, yeah went right to hell when Pardew left like :lol:

The minute anyone implies we played anything but God-awful functional football I switch off, they clearly didn't watch us play and it's not worth arguing.

Guest Incandenza

Sounds like you lot would be more impressed if his name was Alain pardioux

If a foreign manager had Pardew's record, our xenophobic national media would have launched vicious hate campaign against them.

If a foreign manager had Pardew's record, our xenophobic national media would have launched vicious hate campaign against them.

Yep any foreign manager would have been hounded out by the media long ago for doing what Pardew did.

http://www.1001actus.com/files/santini.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/22/article-1079802-022CE7CA000005DC-576_468x633.jpg

Oh great a pardew fan.

I can't be doing with anyone who doesn't consider him scum. In the past I've seriously disliked several people associated with the club, but there haven't been many who've spent years actively derailing my love for something I've previously held so dear. That's something even utterly dispicable cunts like Michael Owen can't claim to have done - in fact the likes of him only strengthened my passion. Pardew, though... I absolutely loathe the role he's had at the club for the last two-and-a-half years, and I think he's a smarmy, incompetent arsehole from a personal perspective too. I have no time for anyone who has time for him; in a Newcastle United context anyway; If Palace fans are happy with him, good luck to them, they won't go far.