Crystal Palace manager

Mick

I agree Haidara is better. But imagine Dummett played like Haidara did against L'pool - he wouldn't be as easily forgiven as Haidara was. Or even the MYM at Everton. He's never been that bad but receives worse criticism. Had we signed him from abroad - imo he would receive a fairer ride.

I've been a member of this board long enough to notice it's a consistent pattern. The actual home crowd is fairer in the sense everyone gets little patience.

Thankfully you're here to keep us all in check though.

Yep.

Must be why he spent every waking minute calling Cisse worse than s**** for years. Very honorable effort to balance the books.

Justifiably so. He was shite for 2 years at everything.

I agree Haidara is better. But imagine Dummett played like Haidara did against L'pool - he wouldn't be as easily forgiven as Haidara was. Or even the MYM at Everton. He's never been that bad but receives worse criticism. Had we signed him from abroad - imo he would receive a fairer ride.

I've been a member of this board long enough to notice it's a consistent pattern. The actual home crowd is fairer in the sense everyone gets little patience.

Thankfully you're here to keep us all in check though.

Yep.

Must be why he spent every waking minute calling Cisse worse than s**** for years. Very honorable effort to balance the books.

Justifiably so. He was shite for 2 years at everything.

He wasn't though. He had like 1 shit season.

Dummett is CB and will do well as such - depends on your preference with left backs. Players have to be comfortable on the ball., which Dummett is less able although he's strong defensively. Which is why Williamson is so chronic to watch as he's shite at both. LB/RB are the most difficult roles to define mind you.

I do think foreign players in general, not just at NUFC, get a fairer crack of the whip on here, mind.

Specifically at NUFC I think it mostly boils down to almost unlimited faith in Graham Carr. And the fact those who haven't succeeded due to being physically not up to English football - such as Anita - attract the football hipsters who ironically tend to go after the likes of Harry Kane and end up with egg on their face.

I do think foreign players in general, not just at NUFC, get a fairer crack of the whip on here, mind.

Specifically at NUFC I think it mostly boils down to almost unlimited faith in Graham Carr. And the fact those who haven't succeeded due to being physically not up to English football - such as Anita - attract the football hipsters who ironically tend to go after the likes of Harry Kane and end up with egg on their face.

Agreed.

Not really. Sammy, Dummett and to a lesser extent Colback receive undue criticism.

Dummett's performances for us have been at least as solid as Mapou or Haidara but he receives a harder ride on here.

Anita's probably worse than Colback but Colback gets a rougher ride on performances.

It's largely the unproven lads / lads not in the team that get this treatment. And like I said, to a point it's justified. Anita came with a decentish fee from Ajax with a few caps, Colback was a squad player at Sunderland. But someone like Dummett - it's just plain unfair.

All in your opinion. Nationality has piss all to do with it.

Disappointed I didn't get a name check there tbh.

Part of me still thinks Kane will be a flash in the pan, mainly due to his slowness, although he has probably been the second best all round striker in the league this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is a definite downbeat outlook/attitude towards English or British players not just on here but among many English footy supporters and indeed among the media.

I guarantee if Frank Lampard was called Francis Lambardo or something, fans would be hailing him as one of the world's greatest.

Instead, when someone says he's as good as or say better than someone like Kaka they get laughed at and called out as idiots.

Of course there is a tendency among the media to overrate some players, players like Rooney, Gerrard etc. but then these are the high performing home grown players so its not that surprising.

I had to tell someone at footy a few weeks back to shut up after he said Diego Costa is one of the best strikers to have played in the league and easily up there with someone like Shearer.

Harry Kane is getting praise, but could you imagine if he was foreign? Remember the hype around Janusi or whatever he's called at Man Utd or Macheda because he scored a wonder goal.

Does my head in in particular when the likes of Lampard are considered inferior to say the likes of Kaka or Pirlo.

Part of me still thinks Kane will be a flash in the pan, mainly due to his slowness, although he has probably been the second best all round striker in the league this season.

I'll be fascinated to see how Kane develops.  I'm not 100% convinced yet - next couple of years will be interesting.

I'll be fascinated to see how Kane develops.  I'm not 100% convinced yet - next couple of years will be interesting.

If nothing else he seems to makes up for his flaws by surprisingly, given his demeanor, playing with superb intelligence from what I've seen. That's the sort of stuff that will usually help at the top level and might suggest why he is doing better now than he was on loan at whoever playing with shite.

Guest antz1uk

If nothing else he seems to makes up for his flaws by surprisingly, given his demeanor, playing with superb intelligence from what I've seen. That's the sort of stuff that will usually help at the top level and might suggest why he is doing better now than he was on loan at whoever playing with s****.

Teddy Sheringham was slow too, a certain mr Clough didn't rate him at all but he was a very intelligent striker forward, knew exactly how to make the runs and where to be to score goals

I wasn't even thinking of you. I've always found you to be pretty unbiased, cept when it comes to the Argies.

Kane beats a tremendous amount of defenders for a "slow" lad like.

the Lampard example is weird. Kaka at his best was the best in the world. That's never been the case for Lampard. But obviously Lampard has had a more consistent career by far. Pirlo example is unnatural because of different styles. Also very contrasting international careers. Pirlo was MOTM of a WC Final & semi-final. Lamps never did it at the highest level for England. But still he's appreciated as a legend and a world-class player in his pomp.

Lampard man, I mean he's quality, but he's not a Kaka or Pirlo type at all. Those guys run entire games when they're on, and that kind of player is of greater value IMO.

Doesn't mean Lampard isn't quality though. Maybe more comparable to a Ballack perhaps? Who was top quality himself.

Kane, Sturridge, Sterling, Barkley, Stones, Clyne, Shaw, Wilshere, Welbeck, Walcott ...

Man, England have some pieces to work with. Need a more adventurous manager though.

Lampard man, I mean he's quality, but he's not a Kaka or Pirlo type at all. Those guys run entire games when they're on, and that kind of player is of greater value IMO.

Doesn't mean Lampard isn't quality though. Maybe more comparable to a Ballack perhaps? Who was top quality himself.

Kaka wasn't the type of player to run games, either.

I do think people forget just how good Lampard was in his 6 or 7 year prime, mind. So much more to his game than goals.

Okay, Pirlo runs games, but Kaka was more involved than a Lampard IMO. His passing and dribbling was of a higher standard, and he was still a major goal threat too.

Lampard is quality no question, but I could understand why the likes of Pirlo and Kaka would be seen as better players.

Definitely wouldn't say Lampard was just about goals, but his all round game wasn't as strong as those two I don't think.