Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Also, the problem with having no ambition is that the focus then inevitably switches to entertainment value of each individual match. I have accepted we're never going to win anything, so it's even more important that the club is respectable and the team is watchable. Sadly at the moment we have none of these things.

I don't believe this to be true. Ambition is the name of the game. Would we be a happy set of fans if we where Southampton last season and Swansea this season? Nope. Not me.

Surely it depends on the manager we appoint?  If we showed some ambition and got someone highly rated in - Tuchel, Garde, Jemez etc - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind the manager would extract more from each player we have and we'd do a fair bit better than Pardew (in terms of style of play/entertainment and points).

The only one we've contacted is Garde. And his team have been a lot better since he's left. The other strong rumour is Steve McLaren. Who has failed at all of his "big" jobs.

thought this had been covered by people more knowledgeable of the french league than your good self, accepted wisdom is that the current lyon team is benefitting massively from the work garde did in his time as manager

The same is true of Taylor before Wenger, Moyes before Martinez. So it could go either way. From the little I know, Garde seems to be the typcial defensive French manager. The new man has let them off their leash.

Also, the problem with having no ambition is that the focus then inevitably switches to entertainment value of each individual match. I have accepted we're never going to win anything, so it's even more important that the club is respectable and the team is watchable. Sadly at the moment we have none of these things.

I don't believe this to be true. Ambition is the name of the game. Would we be a happy set of fans if we where Southampton last season and Swansea this season? Nope. Not me.

Surely it depends on the manager we appoint?  If we showed some ambition and got someone highly rated in - Tuchel, Garde, Jemez etc - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind the manager would extract more from each player we have and we'd do a fair bit better than Pardew (in terms of style of play/entertainment and points).

The only one we've contacted is Garde. And his team have been a lot better since he's left. The other strong rumour is Steve McLaren. Who has failed at all of his "big" jobs.

thought this had been covered by people more knowledgeable of the french league than your good self, accepted wisdom is that the current lyon team is benefitting massively from the work garde did in his time as manager

The same is true of Taylor before Wenger, Moyes before Martinez. So it could go either way. From the little I know, Garde seems to be the typcial defensive French manager. The new man has let them off their leash.

the point is irrelevant anyway, about how they were after he left....he spent 3 years cutting big earners and bringing on youth players while achieving relative success with league positions - basically everything we'd want him to do at our place (we the shithouse owners obviously)

the point is irrelevant anyway, about how they were after he left....he spent 3 years cutting big earners and bringing on youth players while achieving relative success with league positions - basically everything we'd want him to do at our place (we the shithouse owners obviously)

So like I said. Midtable, average style of play but bringing through youth players.

That's not exciting mate.

So like I said. Midtable, average style of play but bringing through youth players.

That's not exciting mate.

can't say i've seen his teams play but i'd be utterly astounded if they were pardew levels of eye aids

to be honest i'm not sure there's anyone on the planet who can quite suck the joy out of football like alan pardew, so garde would be an improvement on him anyways

Pretty sure a French poster came on here and delineated why Lyon are basically playing Garde's football now.

Lyon have scored 1 more goal than they did last season with 8 games to go. Their GD is +33 compared to +12 of last season. Now I can't talk about style of play but they're scoring way more and conceding way less. Clearly they've improved in all areas.

Garde isn't at all defensive, like. Like all teams, his side put in the odd defensive display, but they generally played very good stuff. Well, at least when I was more connected to French football they were.

They're scoring more because they have Fekir over the likes of Gomis playing with a more mature Lacazette.

Guest Incandenza

Look at it from this angle: Do you think Pardew could have replicated Garde's success at Lyon?

What success?

Rebuilding the squad with youth whilst maintaining good league finishes.

Can you please explain what you mean by Taylor before Wenger ?

Thanks in advance.

Can you please explain what you mean by Taylor before Wenger ?

Thanks in advance.

Guessing he means Rioch?

And the point is - a team doesn't do significantly better without something changing.  Lyon aren't a small club.  They might've had to make cutbacks but nothing that makes finishing 5th and winning a couple cups a major achievement.

yet during the period we were linked with him anyone talking about garde from the french football side seems to think it was :dontknow:

I think you're making a but if a mistake by not considering context here, TCD. Lyon were in a bad situation and were having to compete in a time where big money was starting to come into Ligue 1. He'd also been making noises about leaving for a while, he'd been a part of the Lyon staff for over 10 years.

I think their fans' reaction to him leaving said it all. A supporter base who've enjoyed tremendous success over the last 15 years and they make a banner for Garde (the bloke who only won a couple of trophies) leaving, that shows you the success of his project.